Highlighted
Participant ○

Vanguard's take on a coming recession

7 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Vanguard's take on a coming recession

Thanks, Mary

Below is a M* article that I will add to your thread if I may.

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/973377/when-will-stocks-recover

Take care

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I expect stocks to go below the level they are currently at as the recession works way through the economy over the next 6 or so months which is why I am stocking up on high yielding dividend stocks in sectors that will be the least impacted by the Economic shutdown with good balance sheets such as VZ with a 5% dividend and T with a 7% dividend to provide sufficient income To avoid having to sell stocks at depressed prices.

I expect the tech sector to be a driving force in the economic recovery and AAPL, MSFT, AMZN will grow as they expand during the recovery which will put them on my buy list. Utility sector  will also be on my buy list.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I too believe there are stages in a bear market. This present bear market differs in that the economic underpinnings were strong with no reason for an economic downturn more than a correction. other than the effects of the pandemic. Because of this difference, we cannot predict well the pattern of this bear market.

If we find a way to curb the virus more than the market presumes, we will have a quick recovery, yet few believe that the virus will be arrested by any such remedy. If the pandemic turns out worse than the market has priced in, we will have a slow, long recovery, and might go into a recession.

For those buying low, look at the worst case outcome, being it may be a long time to profit from your investments.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Outandabout, thanks for the link to John's article (I missed it).  I rarely miss his column and this is one I've saved to a Word document for future reference.  I keep my cool better when I at least have a clue where I am!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@marymary wrote:

Outandabout, thanks for the link to John's article (I missed it).  I rarely miss his column and this is one I've saved to a Word document for future reference.  I keep my cool better when I at least have a clue where I am!

This week has been a blessing for my wife and I despite the market turmoil. I was hurried to the hospital and with severe LAD blockage and received three stints. The surgery went well, but leaving my wife at the entrance to the hospital(only patients and staff were allowed) was harder on her than on me, as I was in a fog, awake, but dosed enough not to worry about the outcome. Amazing what our wonderful doctors and staff can do at a time like this. I'm not out of the woods, but I can see fields of flowers up around the corner.

Take care, Mary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

This week has been a blessing for my wife and I despite the market turmoil. I was hurried to the hospital and with severe LAD blockage and received three stints. The surgery went well, but leaving my wife at the entrance to the hospital(only patients and staff were allowed) was harder on her than on me, as I was in a fog, awake, but dosed enough not to worry about the outcome. Amazing what our wonderful doctors and staff can do at a time like this. I'm not out of the woods, but I can see fields of flowers up around the corner.

Take care, Mary

Coming that close changes your perspective on things, doesn't it?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@racqueteer wrote:

@outandabout wrote:

Take care, Mary

Coming that close changes your perspective on things, doesn't it?!

Sure does, Rac. LOL, and I thought having taken chemotherapy for these  last six years was bad. Life is good though. One day at a time at my age...…. appreciate each day and our gifts of family and friends.

Announcements