Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Vanguard posts Full Holdings as of 6/30

9 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Vanguard posts Full Holdings as of 6/30

At SEC/Edgar, the latest portfolio filing data are still as of 3/31/20 for Wellesley and 5/31/20 for Wellington. I hope that Vanguard website data is truly up to date and not that someone just changed the date.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@yogibearbull wrote:

At SEC/Edgar, the latest portfolio filing data are still as of 3/31/20 for Wellesley and 5/31/20 for Wellington. I hope that Vanguard website data is truly up to date and not that someone just changed the date.

No, the holdings are updated. At least for a couple of funds to which I have been paying close attention.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@yogibearbull wrote:

For the Wellington fund, here is a table of stocks that were added or dropped between the ends of 2020-05 (holdings from SEC/Edgar) and 2020-06 (holdings from Vanguard) and the percent the market value of each holding was relative to the total in stocks.

Company2020-052020-06
Walmart Inc.0.84% 
NextEra Energy Inc.0.36% 
Iberdrola SA0.19% 
Lam Research Corp. 0.45%
KLA Corp. 0.43%

There have been few changes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

For Vanguard fixed income mutual funds, how can I tell which ones accrue dividends daily and which ones do not?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya wrote:

For Vanguard fixed income mutual funds, how can I tell which ones accrue dividends daily and which ones do not?  

Funds don't make this easy.

But in the dividend section of the prospectus, there is typically language like that dividends are declared daily but paid monthly for those funds that accrue dividends. Also, one can check if the NAV doesn't drop on ex-dividend dates by approximately by the dividend amount.

But luckily, most fixed-income mutual funds that pay monthly dividends accue dividends. Rest flow them through the NAV [and the NAV is impacted on ex-div date].

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@yogibearbull wrote:

@Anitya wrote:

But in the dividend section of the prospectus, there is typically language like that dividends are declared daily but paid monthly for those funds that accrue dividends. Also, one can check if the NAV doesn't drop on ex-dividend dates by approximately by the dividend amount.

But luckily, most fixed-income mutual funds that pay monthly dividends accue dividends. Rest flow them through the NAV [and the NAV is impacted on ex-div date].

I will send Vanguard a message but I think the other sure way to tell is if record date and ex dates are the same then they accrue dividends daily.  Vanguard fund page has the record and ex dates for each fund.  Based on this, VUSFX, VSCSX, VICSX, etc. do not accrue daily.  We will see.

Interestingly, for the past 2-3 days, I am not able to log into the Forums from my computer - I am getting a ‘You do not have permission to access this product . . .’ message.  I am able to access from my phone which is cumbersome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya wrote:

@yogibearbull wrote:

@Anitya wrote:

I will send Vanguard a message but I think the other sure way to tell is if record date and ex dates are the same then they accrue dividends daily.  Vanguard fund page has the record and ex dates for each fund.  Based on this, VUSFX, VSCSX, VICSX, etc. do not accrue daily.  We will see.

Interestingly, for the past 2-3 days, I am not able to log into the Forums from my computer - I am getting a ‘You do not have permission to access this product . . .’ message.  I am able to access from my phone which is cumbersome.

I wouldn't have expected that. But in actual-price charts [_TICKER], I see NAV dips at the month-end; for magnification, 3-mo charts are used.

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=VUSFX&compare=_VUSFX&id=p74654516848

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=VSCSX&compare=_VSCSX&id=p68781268290

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=VICSX&compare=_VICSX&id=p92591746437

[but don't see May-end dip for VICSX]

July-end dip in all for adjusted-prices should disappear after updates in a few days.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@yogibearbull wrote:

@Anitya wrote:

@yogibearbull wrote:

@Anitya wrote:

I wouldn't have expected that. But in actual-price charts [_TICKER], I see NAV dips at the month-end; for magnification, 3-mo charts are used.

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=VUSFX&compare=_VUSFX&id=p74654516848

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=VSCSX&compare=_VSCSX&id=p68781268290

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=VICSX&compare=_VICSX&id=p92591746437

[but don't see May-end dip for VICSX]

July-end dip in all for adjusted-prices should disappear after updates in a few days.

Thanks, Yogi.

In my response above, I erroneously used "ex-date" but Vanguard uses "Reinvestment date" - just in case somebody looks for ex-date in the distribution tab.  

I received a reply from Vanguard saying that all Vanguard MM funds, tax-exempt funds, plus the general (non-sector) four bond index funds (but not the corresponding ETFs) accrue dividends daily, and evidently, every other Vanguard mutual fund is not a daily accruing fund.  Those four funds are VBIRX, VBILX, VBLAX, & VBLTX. 

Because new funds may be added in the future, I am waiting for them to respond back about an easier way to identify - e.g., from the "Record date" and "Reinvestment date" information. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@Anitya wrote:

I received a reply from Vanguard saying that all Vanguard MM funds, tax-exempt funds, plus the general (non-sector) four bond index funds (but not the corresponding ETFs) accrue dividends daily, and evidently, every other Vanguard mutual fund is not a daily accruing fund.  Those four funds are VBIRX, VBILX, VBLAX, & VBLTX. 

It seems that "the general (non-sector) four bond index funds" should include words like "active bond funds, " between "(non-sector) and "four".  Some active Vanguard bond fund that declare income dividends daily are the Short-Term Treasury, Intermediate-Term Treasury, and Long-Term Treasury funds.

0 Kudos
Announcements