cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: VDIGX and VMNVX Disappoint?

A small/mid cap global fund VMNVX losing about the same as the SP500 YTD is actually a good performance in relative terms, though a loss is still a loss.  Global small/mid cap funds have lost 35% ytd, VMNVX lost only 30% ytd. SP500 has also lost 30% ytd.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I have owned Vanguard ETFs for quite a while. Why do you believe that they throw off CG distributions and act the same as the OEF versions?

@DJANG0 wrote:

@theorist wrote:

Do any of you hold VDIGX in a taxable account?  I’ve been thinking about adding some, and trying to figure out if it would make sense in taxable.

No, capital gains distributions from any active fund makes tax planning harder in taxable accounts. Vanguard ETFs, which are considered a share class of the corresponding mutual fund have the same issue.

I'd prefer to own a similar ETF like DGRO in taxable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

That is true. I own a lot of it and actually haven’t checked the portfolio in awhile. I always remember it being classified as small/mid, but really did have any small. It tilted large. I had figured a lot of it was that it contained a lot of real estate which might account for a few points. But the OP had a legit question at this time. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I wouldn’t own VMNVX because I’m not a fan of international equities.  But I’ve purchased $500K of VDIGX during the downturn because it is a great long term holding.  Most all stocks have been sold indiscriminately and most folks on these forums never use bear markets to buy.

Contributor ○○○

Sure seems folks are buying based on this forum. I am. If the market had to fail this way it definitely becomes a buying opportunity.

@cegibbs wrote:

I wouldn’t own VMNVX because I’m not a fan of international equities.  But I’ve purchased $500K of VDIGX during the downturn because it is a great long term holding.  Most all stocks have been sold indiscriminately and most folks on these forums never use bear markets to buy.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.