cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Dan Wiener forum is shut down

Dan Wiener shut down his forum this week so I have moved over here. I hope other members will too.

I also cancelled my subscription to his newsletter for that reason as well as the fact that since he has hired the new "kid" he hasn't had as good content as in the past.

14 Replies
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Re: Dan Wiener forum is shut down

Disappointing.  I didn't post a lot, but i read it almost daily.  I too have moved to this forum.  Tried Bogleheads, but it's too much  - too many posters, too much everything.  

Bcc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Suddenly...without warning...poof.  I didn't see any mention of termination of the forum in last week's online Hotline for Weiner-members or since.  Maybe it will be referenced in today's Hotline.  Perhaps, this is the doing of InvestorPlace Media öber-management, and not Dan Weiner or Jeff DeMaso, the advisors and editors.  The Independent Advisor forum helped a lot when I got started many years ago and I've checked it almost daily...until this week, when it just went poof.  I will say it has been noticeably less active in the past five years and there hasn't been much in the way of maintenance or updating either.  Frankly, if not for the terrifically prolific Mr. "butwait" , it would be mostly crickets over there. Too bad. Poof.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

You should have gotten this email if you are a subscriber:

We’re writing to you today to alert you to some changes to our website.
Some loyal subscribers have long used the AdviserOnline forum to share ideas and assist fellow FFSA members, and we're grateful for that. However, most subscribers have not been using the forum recently.
So, after some careful consideration, we’ve made the decision to shut down the forum. It was deactivated earlier this morning.
While this will be a disappointment to some of you, know that we’re in the process of upgrading and overhauling our entire website to be more intuitive and user-friendly.
You can look forward to the same great advice from us that you’ve come to expect in a new and improved format.
And, as always, if you have questions about Vanguard funds and ETFs, anything we’ve written in the past or other investment-related questions, you can reach us at Feedback@InvestorPlace.com or 800-219-8592.
We really do want to hear from you.
We’ll be in touch about the new website as we get closer to launch.
Sincerely,

Daniel P. Wiener and Jeff DeMaso

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Ok, checked again...I see it.  Thanks.  Wow, still, a notification after the shutdown.  How Dilbert of them.  I'd been getting a mini-barrage of subscription renewal offers in the past week (although I re-upped fairly recently) and assumed a Monday noontime email was just another renewal pitch.  I've now read it, saluted, and poofed it appropriately.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

The old timers are hanging up their boots.  A year or so ago long time financial guru Bob Brinker called it quits on his long time radio broadcast but continues his newsletter.....Marketimer.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I like The Independent Advisor newletter. It has provided information regarding Vanguard and Vanguard funds that otherwise would be difficult to obtain. I have not participated in the corresponding forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Hi Folks,

boy oh boy, it was like an eviction , we were thrown out!  Im glad I found some of our group.  I visited the Friends of Vanguard facebook site and posted about the loss of our forum.  Some one there asked for more info, so I gave the link and my post was subsequently deleted.  Im guessing they frown on people posting links.

i too hope to see butwait here, or hear of other sites where others of our group are getting together.

i did not cancel my subscription yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

My post on the Friends of Vanguard Facebook page was deleted too. So I got irritated and started a new group on Facebook. maybe we can get But Wait an others to come over there and talk about Dan Wiener and his newsletter

https://www.facebook.com/groups/297861798106633/?source=unknown

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I just requested to join your group!

rick

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Hello Adviser ex-pats...and welcome to any newcomers. Dirk Ronk here. Just saw the notice about the forum shut-down. Sorry to hear it.

I was a long-time subscriber to Wiener's newsletter (one two or three year stretch back in the early 2000s and again for about five years or more, up until early last year). Toward the end of the last bit of time, about the only thing that made the advisory worth it to me were the wonderfully information-dense forum posts by ButWait, interchanges with the late (and sorely missed) nero, and assorted others who used to contribute. ButWait was kind enough to auto-copy me on various postings from the forum for several months, so I could occasionally read comments but couldn't post myself. Now even those will be gone.

I join you in hoping that ButWait can be lured into making this his new posting domain. I know he has M* membership, since he used many of the features here in his posts on the other forum. However, I do NOT know what name he goes by here, if he already posts. So I'll watch this space as things develop.

Cheers.

Dirk

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Avvocato sez: "The Independent Advisor forum helped a lot when I got started many years ago and I've checked it almost daily...until this week, when it just went poof.  I will say it has been noticeably less active in the past five years and there hasn't been much in the way of maintenance or updating either.  Frankly, if not for the terrifically prolific Mr. "butwait" , it would be mostly crickets over there. Too bad. Poof."

Agreed. Wiener's evaluations and advice are generally helpful and reliable, but the problem with his business model is that once a person has read the intro material, made investment choices, and perhaps perused the back issues of his newsletter, there is little to bring that person back to the website and/or resubscribe. Truly new content is rare. Month-to-month advice about changes is scant...almost non-existent: I recall only a handful of additions/subtractions from the ongoing sample portfolios in the many years I was there. So the (former) activity of the forum was the website's saving grace, IMO. Only thing I still miss, really.

Same could be said for Jim Lowell's Fidelity newsletter clone. I tried a "sample" subscription of that one (6 months for a discounted price), dove into its archives and got everything I expected to get...then let the subscription lapse, in part because HIS website didn't include a forum at all. Nothing to catch my interest day to day...and why keep paying to read the same advice, over and over?

It's quite apparent that the parent company understands this, and has been heavily pushing personal management of portfolios by the "experts" (Dan, Jeff, Jim, and their associates). Feels like a back door into a mutual fund version of an Edward Jones model. I see value in their overall advice of "bet the jockey, not the horse"...but (to continue the analogy) do I turn all my money over to the racetrack tout? Don't think so.

Anyway, just my two cents. Still wouldn't mind seeing more activity on the Vanguard threads here, especially if ButWait decides to contribute.

Cheers,

Dirk

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I just requested to join. After 30 years with DW newsletter I find it insulting. When I called there was no explanation given. S I cancelled subscription.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Hello 

I have been a subscriber to the Independent Adviser for Vanguard Investors for about (20) years. 

I would have to say that for the price I feel I do receive important facts, insights, and recommendations, 

that have resulted in very good returns.  That said it was a great complementary service to have the forum 

available, which also provided some great resources. I will miss the forum and having informed Vanguard investors

give their take latest take on funds, service and current trends.  I think this diminishes the value of the Adviser. 

However, I still have not found a better newsletter for Vanguard funds. I will continue to subscribe and hope that 

a forum will start again in the future.  

Highlighted
Follower ○○○

I see But Wait has made an appearance on the Friends of VG facebook page but he hasn't made it over to the new forum that I started

0 Kudos
Announcements