cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Best Vanguard Bond Fund for Simple 4 Fund Port

I am looking for recommendations for a "best" Vanguard Bond fund to add to a Simple Wellesley&Wellington plus VLAIX,VTMFX Port.

I will manage to a 60/40

I like & respect Wellington management

I do not like index Bond funds

I am over 70 and looking for a Port to cross the finish line with and keep it simple for my wife to manage.

Thank you for your inputs on Vanguards best bond funds.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Vanguard Bond Fund for Simple 4 Fund Port

All I can think of it VWEAX, which could indeed complement Well and Well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Vanguard offers an actively managed Core Bond Fund (VCORX/VCOBX).  Expense Ratios are .25%/.10%.  Admiral shares minimum is $50,000.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A 60-40 mix is possible with 4 funds mentioned "Wellesley [38-62] & Wellington [62-38] plus VLAIX [60-40],VTMFX [50-50]". So, what is the purpose of a separate bond fund? If for day-to-day cash needs, may be short-term bond funds [VFSTX, VSCSX, VMLTX]; short-term bond funds at VG don't have frequent-trading restrictions.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@blackfoot,

It looks as if a good portion of the bonds held by the balanced funds you have listed hold more corporate bonds than anything else. Except for VTMFX where munis are held. So I am hesitant to add more corporate bonds or munis.

If you are looking for a distinct fund that is more stable, perhaps held for withdrawals, I am thinking maybe the Vanguard GNMA fund VFIJX.

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vfijx/quote

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/overview/vfijx

Fishingrod

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I overlooked the 60/40 w/ 4 only and the ST suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

VFSUX Vanguard short term investment grade would be worth considering as well Vanguard short term federal bond fund. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

If you have 50K consider VFSUX.  The dividend $ are higher than that of VCOBX (lower share price equals more shares).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

VFSUX!

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

BND for USA investors.

BNDW for non-USA investors who lve in a USD zone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

The OP really needs to answer YBB's question in order to get credible suggestions.  That is, what's the purpose of the dedicated bond fund?

The (seemingly) "best" VG bond funds for our port are VBIRX, VBILX and VBTLX because they serve their respective, intended purposes.

Until posters know what the OP's purpose for it is, how can they make credible suggestions? 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Agree with “Arriba”, it would help to know the “purpose” of the dedicated bond fund.

In the current “mix” of funds, there is a very significant “tilt” to investment grade corporates (Wellesley and Wellington), so does he need more “government” Bond exposure? Though that would produce lower yields. More yield? Safety/ less volatility? 

Win
0 Kudos
Announcements