cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Unable to Exchange Funds in TIAA 403b account

It looks like TIAA is, and perhaps will continue having difficulties handling the volume of requests made to their website.  I tried to move funds this afternoon from a bond to a stock fund this afternoon (3/16/20) but due to volume (as noted by an error message) my attempt(s) failed.  

In truth this is the first time I’ve had difficulty with TIAA.  Of course it’s also the first occasion I’ve had to try and capture a market drop of this magnitude.  Silly me.

Brian

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: Unable to Exchange Funds in TIAA 403b account

I also failed to get in to make a Traditional -> CREF Stock transfer, but I am hopeful that it will have deflected me to an even better day.

I had the same experience in August 2011.  That time the market began bouncing back the next day, and I missed the opportunity altogether.  I guess for the sake of everyone I should wish for the same thing to happen this year.  I try to stay in a position so that I can meet increases and decreases with equanimity.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@BrianG wrote:

It looks like TIAA is, and perhaps will continue having difficulties handling the volume of requests made to their website.  I tried to move funds this afternoon from a bond to a stock fund this afternoon (3/16/20) but due to volume (as noted by an error message) my attempt(s) failed.  

In truth this is the first time I’ve had difficulty with TIAA.  Of course it’s also the first occasion I’ve had to try and capture a market drop of this magnitude.  Silly me.

Brian

Oh isn't this wonderful.. 

Here I was thinking that only the re-balance page didn't work..

Thanks TIAA !!!

Worthless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I made exchanges in my TIAA 403b on 3/12/20 and 3/18/20, two terrible market days, and those went through without any hitch.

YBB
Highlighted
Explorer ○

I transferred funds using the TIAA website from TREA to CREF money market Tuesday without a hitch.  By the end of business Wednesday it was completed.  

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.