cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: TREA - Is the time to sell coming?

Janet

Do you have to call them? I wonder if you will be able to do the ST online on your by specifying the dates and amounts.

I do online payment of taxes with IRS through EFTPS. I specify the dates and amounts (some times the applicable year also). IRS knows my bank account number and it takes the money on that date.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

No upper limit on how much you can have in TREA with ST.

Once you start a ST, you can stop it anytime with a phone call.

As Wizard wrote, you can move a fixed amount of money from another account to TREA daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc. 

It is also possible to specify a % of the amount in a different account to be moved to TREA daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc.

If you move funds from a different institution to TREA, it is not subject to the $150K limit either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@Janet wrote:

I have a great WMA, but am very disappointed in TIAA national service center reps who have a limited knowledge of simple procedural questions. 

Right. This is why I always use my WMA and his team to do anything "complicated" that I can't figure how to do online myself.

And I always put my request in writing (email) so nothing gets lost in translation when he hands off my request to one of his staff, etc...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

One question for Learner, what does ST stand for in your post?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ben1 wrote:

One question for Learner, what does ST stand for in your post?

ST = Systematic Transfers

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Thanks, yogi, for answering the question about what ST means.  (I used ST only after it was used earlier.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

TREA is up today by almost $1.00 (0.9957 to be exact) or 0.23%. The unit value is $438.36. It is less than 1% down from the recent high of $442.0729 on February 20th.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

That could mean it's a good time to sell TREA. Or it could mean it's a good time to hold onto TREA. But probably doesn't mean it's a good time to buy TREA. There's a lot going on, there are a lot of cross-currents, in this market.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Mortgage relief under the CARES Act would make it a tough going for the residential housing markets, including apartment buildings.    https://community.morningstar.com/t5/Bond-Squad/CARES-Act-and-Mortgage-Relief/m-p/688125#M5601

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@yogibearbull wrote:

Mortgage relief under the CARES Act make it a tough going for the residential housing markets, including apartment buildings    https://community.morningstar.com/t5/Bond-Squad/CARES-Act-and-Mortgage-Relief/m-p/688125#M5601

I am not getting a break here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I'm happy TREA has held up.

@ECEPROF wrote:

@yogibearbull wrote:

Mortgage relief under the CARES Act make it a tough going for the residential housing markets, including apartment buildings    https://community.morningstar.com/t5/Bond-Squad/CARES-Act-and-Mortgage-Relief/m-p/688125#M5601

I am not getting a break here.

Counting today, four more trading days and I may be out of TREA -- April 1.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

My annual annuity income from TREA will reset at the close of business on March 31.  The annuity unit value is related to TREA's NAV, but not entirely.

This said, I will not be at all surprised if TREA takes some markdowns between today and the end of this quarter.  It would be entirely appropriate under the circumstances, especially given the dire circumstances in New York City.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I ended up with selling about 40% of my total TREA accumulation and moving the funds to TIAA Traditional with 3% guarantee in my 403b account.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

@Janet wrote:

I ended up with selling about 40% of my total TREA accumulation and moving the funds to TIAA Traditional with 3% guarantee in my 403b account.  

I sold half, but am keeping it in federal money market for now, maybe buy back into TREA whenever there's a recovery.   Worked like a charm in 2008-2009.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Excuse my curiosity.

Of the positions many of you own (excluding cash and Traditional), why does TREA command so much attention?

I can tell you that relative to other funds I own (largely balanced) it hasn't moved the dial. My paper losses are elsewhere.

Are some of you overweighted in TREA, or do memories of 2008 linger, or what?   

TREA is a bit of a plodder except for the real estate bubble bust in 2008-2009. TIAA Traditional is way safer, but if it's tax loss harvesting you want or need to do TREA is hardly at the top of my list of losers. 

Of course, I am an annuitant and that's a different framework for viewing the account.

In any event, I hope your decision works out to your satisfaction. 

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Pretty resilient today, up 0.04%.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Hi Bob,

In answer to your question I guess you would say I am "overweight" in TREA and I do have lingering memories of 2008.  While I have income from some annuities and Social Security, TREA represents a significant component that yields an adequate return for my needs but doesn't have a lot of variability.  As I moved my retirement funds to an IRA (due to transfers out of TIAA for a while a long time ago) my only Traditional option is at 1% for an IRA.  As I see little option for TREA to beat that 1% for the time being and the possibility of a large downside, I decided to get out for a while.  Assuming the rules stay the same I will get back into TREA if and when things resolve (via systematic transfer or re-balancing).  If those options is ruled out, I will have to get back into the "markets."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

R2,

Your position has been clear for many years.

The Account, as some of you know, reserves a number of options. It's best for all shareholders to read or re-read the Prospectus.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Of the positions many of you own (excluding cash and Traditional), why does TREA command so much attention?

I believe why so many here generally like it is because:

1. It tends to be very stable.   Even if it's going down now, it's trajectory is nothing like the stock market.

2. It appears to be possible to market-time it, at least that worked out extremely well for a bunch of us in 2008-2009.  Remains to be seen if that works this time.

3. It's pretty unique, in that we directly own real estate.

#2 is why it commands so much attention right now.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.