cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

OT: Seniors and COVID-19

First thing first:  Let us stay away from politics.  Remember the recent warnings from Ryan and M* rules.

Given the age profile we have in TIAA Funds, I am posting this NYT piece.  I would think that we are all being careful and taking the precautions mentioned in it but it is worth posting if it helps even one person.

Edit/Add:  If you care to comment, I hope you will write about certain things you have found helpful (online grocery shopping, how to handle grandkids when they visit you, what you are careful about if you have to travel, etc.).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/health/seniors-coronavirus-reopenings.html

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: OT: Seniors and COVID-19

With the help of our own reading plus the information provided by medical researchers in our family, we certainly have altered our lifestyle given the fact that we are in our late 70s but otherwise in good health. 

All travel plans for the remainder of 2020 and all of 2021 have been canceled.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Life has changed for us. We once relished going out to eat on Friday and/or Saturday night. I don't really remember what it's like to eat in a restaurant now. I left for work this morning and after a half mile turned around to go back home to retrieve my mask. I have lived whole weekends never once leaving the confines of my half acre of Planet Earth. Our 10 year old push mower died last weekend causing to make my first foray into Home Depot since February, a place where I had spent quite a few hours each weekend in the previous era of life. 

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We maintain a strict lockdown regimen. We do allow my daughter, son-in-law and grandkids to use the pool. The four-year-old is very good at maintaining social distancing while the two year old less so. We have our groceries delivered from Walmart after not having good luck with Wegman’s or Whole Foods. Both the timing of deliveries and product availability has been better with Walmart.
We have canceled hotel, flight, auto rental, and convention reservations for CAAS in Nashville earlier this month and have scrapped plans for our trip to Italy this fall. We received every penny back for all our pre-paid expenses; just made a call and told them we would not be traveling because of our age and Covid. We have also given up our seats for Duke basketball which really was a hard decision.

"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.---Warren Buffett"

veni vidi vici vti
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Haircut (my major issue): Now we have regular fully-protected home-visits.  The lady, who is highly skillful, does a great job every time for my wife, my son, and me (in one visit), much better than those we used to visit.  It is definitely worth the larger tip.  It is a win-win situation for the long term.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

No travel.

No barbers. 

My wife gives me a haircut and manages her own hair.

No restaurants.

No home visits with friends.  Just Zoom.  (Rarely, Duo or WhatsApp.)

Walking outside in the morning alone without a mask since there is hardly anyone around.

Our visits to the dentist cancelled in March.  We have an appointment in September.  We hope we will feel comfortable enough to go. at that time.

Annual physical done.  It was handled well.  Antibody test for COVID-19: negative.  I preferred not to take the test at this time but I might in the next few weeks.

No fitness center.

Bought a new car, a new desktop, and a new cell phone.

Postponed purchasing a new home and moving indefinitely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

I'm age 70 and in decent shape so I've started a construction project at my place, in MA, and have continued with certain projects at my girlfriend's place, in RI, starting in April. This is all pretty much isolated so safer than being in public.

I do hit Home Depot, Lowe's and quarrys for crushed stone, etc. But quite safe with masks on everyone inside.

I've been recently bemused with major store chains now requiring masks on all entrants, since that's been the case in MA and RI since late March. 

Grocery stores are not a problem and I've done takeout from restaurants once or twice a week. I'm thinking I'll get a haircut soon, first since late February.

I'm hoping travel in 2021 will be feasible but we'll see how that goes...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

We have two homes 65 miles apart. The old one, which we bought in 1976, is a single family home. The new one, which we bought in 2017, is a condo unit in a "55+ community." We took our time setting up the new one, and this was going to be the year when we would leave old one. The condo was costly and we invested a lot in remodeling and furnishing it. This condo is located about 65 miles from our single-family home.

But then COVID-19 arrived a few months ago. We've been pretty much locked down in our older home since our Governor set a "stay in place" program.  (We canceled our annual family summer vacation in Maine. We do get out, but we're very careful about where we go.) Beyond that order, however, we calculated that living in the 55+ home would subject us to much greater risk owing to the physical setup of the community. Common entrances, mail room, meeting rooms, exercise rooms, trash disposal systems, elevators, and so on. We may be safer in our single-family home than in our new community.

Yesterday (July 21) was the first time we ventured to the condo since the governor announced the (virtual) lockdown. We dreaded the visit in part because we didn't know what odors or bugs might jump out at us from the refrigerator in our condo. This turned out to be a minor problem. We dumped stuff down the trash chute, cleaned up a bit, and returned to our older home. The condo building felt almost deserted. This is often a time when people are away for summer vacations. I don't think everybody was simply hunkering down in their flats. But it was very quiet.

We are at a vulnerable age in our mid-70's, like most of the residents of that condo community. So we're going to be cautious. We have been in process of relocating our medical providers/services to the new city. I've got a couple of doctor's appointments in the next two weeks. So we'll be back there soon enough. My wife will also begin to shift her medical services to the new location. She's got at least one doctor's appointment set up.

Beyond the factor of age are certain medical or health conditions that put me at particular risk from COVID-19. I have an autoimmune disease, ulcerative colitis. One of my upcoming medical appointments is with my gastroenterologist. 

But life must go on -- until it doesn't -- and we are beginning to focus again on the transition.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

My wife and I are 77 and 73 and both have minor underlying conditions. We cancelled our annual family get-together at a cabin in NW WI that we rent every year. Too much risk in our mind with the 5 grandkids and 4 kids all under one roof!

We also cancelled our annual FL house rental in March of 2021, not believing we will be far enough along by then with any vaccine. We are also very reluctant to spend nights in hotels during the drive to and from. We are hoping to be able to travel, by car, during the summer of 2021. Flying, in our mind, will be out of the question for many reasons!

We do go to the grocery store and Costco and feel they have controls in place were we feel comfortable. Most of our shopping is through Amazon and any needs from Home Depot are ordered on-line with either home delivery or curbside pick-up. We have been going to the grandkids soccer games, that recently started, and watch from the car when possible. Spend a lot of time working in the yard and probably following the market more closely than I should (not good).

Our big outings are taking our Corvette out for a drive or visiting Panera's (3x/week) in the morning for coffee. We are there early so will sit inside, before anyone else has used the table, or we will often sit at a table outside. 

Seniors will possibly have to adjust their lifestyle and take precautions for quite awhile and we will do this. Our concerns are for our grandkids to resume school and athletic programs ASAP. Never thought I would ever live through something like this and I have no idea when we will ever get back to "normal", if we ever do in my lifetime!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

We're hunkered down. Very little outside contact, No exercise classes. No restaurants. No theatre, No Art Insitute visits. No outdoor summer concerts.  All of this was a staple of our senior living. Also cancelled our usual  week in Wisconsin in a cabin on  Lake Michigan.

We had our 7 year old grandkid visit in June, My wife, a former teacher, worked with her on her reading. She's a bit behind. We'd like to have up visit next week, but my son is too exposed with too many social contacts. I dunno,

I will play golf tomorrow though. The biggest risk there are restrooms. Many courses have gone to porta-johns, I never used those pre-Covid, but sometmes....So I keep disinfectant towels and hand sanitizer in my golf bag. Don't pick up lost golf balls. Now that is getting paranoid.

I've have not seen any of my siblings since Februrary. We normally meet for BBQ on the holidays and occasional birthdays. DItto for my wife's side of the family. No plans to get together. We lost an uncle on my wife's side, and an aunt on my side, both to Covid. One younger friend  also died of it. It's real to me.

I used to have coffee or lunch with two guys every month. Haven't seen them either. One used to put "The cure is worse than the disease" in his email signature when he was wintering in FL. Then he came back to IL and found most of his local friends hunkered down and not willing to meet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Our health is good, but my girlfriend is slightly asthmatic and so we're being careful. We spent March - June at our Greek island home, which was simply good luck. We didn't know in advance that the virus would surge, that Crete would shut itself off, and that it would be safe there.

We're trying to boost our immune systems with Vitamin D3 supplements, lots of sunshine, lots of fish and cruciferous veggies. No high glycemic food.

My daughter has cancelled her August trip home from Australia, as reentry there is very difficult. That's sad for me, but these are exceptional times.

Our biggest concern is a second wave in France this Fall, so we will probably make ourselves scarce.

August in Israel is cancelled, as El Al isn't flying and the virus isn't under control there.

N.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I'm 70 and in OK health for now.  I've had a major heart attack, two heart surgeries putting in three stints five years ago, last year I had two strokes (didn't even know it) and a series of mini-strokes (I did notice).  In saving my life during the heart attack they damaged my kidneys so I'm also in stage three kidney disease but the nephrologist says they should last as long as I do. I am required to take high doses of D3 because my kidneys will not process that anymore.  I hope that helps my immune system.

There are things out there that scare me far more than COVID-19.  I have a half brother that is bed fast in a nursing home unable to talk or walk because of a stroke.  I have a good friend who drives nursing home patients to the hospital for dialysis treatments.  He assures me that I do not want to go through that.  Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

What do we do.  We follow our governor's guidelines.  We went into lock down with everyone else back in March and as things opened up so did we.  For a couple of months we attended church via video.  For about three weeks now we are back to going to church (50% capacity) and we then we go out for breakfast.  For about the same amount of time we have been going out to eat with friends on Fridays.  We car pool and pick a different restaurant each week.

Our social clubs have picked back up.  I ride with a motorcycle group.  We hold charity fund raisers.  Our big event of the year, a "Ride and Rodeo," is coming up in a couple of weeks. A motorcycle rodeo is really something to see. Proceeds go to the local Special Olympics kids.  Because of the shutdown we will also be hosting state officer elections so representatives from around the state will be in attendance.  I just checked out camp ground last weekend to see how to set up the events.  The campground was full.  We also started planning our February event.  That is where we raise money for Christmas gifts for the elderly abandoned in nursing homes.  We raised enough for this year last February before the shutdown.

I also met with a bunch of veterans last week who are looking to reopen the local American Legion.  I volunteered to be on the advisory board.  If we can get this going it will be a place for members of both the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars to meet.  Technically I am a disabled vet (10% disability).  A couple of the guys are worse.  A representative from the VA was there as well.  It will be a place where we can help veterans get the information they need.  Most of the officers are retired Marines but I won't hold that against them ;-)  (I'm retired Air Force).

We shop at Kroger and Walmart.  I went to Rural King to get horse feed.  I met with my farrier a last week to get their feet trimmed. I guess other than that we are staying in.  But, as I said, we are following the governor's guidelines that are created by our state medical officers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I retired 9/1/2019, We had a few good months, then the virus hit. I have absolutely no idea what  the future will hold.

We have a list of things we'd like to do, but for now most are on hold. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Learner wrote:

First thing first:  Let us stay away from politics.  Remember the recent warnings from Ryan and M* rules.

Given the age profile we have in TIAA Funds, I am posting this NYT piece.  I would think that we are all being careful and taking the precautions mentioned in it but it is worth posting if it helps even one person.

Edit/Add:  If you care to comment, I hope you will write about certain things you have found helpful (online grocery shopping, how to handle grandkids when they visit you, what you are careful about if you have to travel, etc.).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/health/seniors-coronavirus-reopenings.html

My significant other and I have followed the rules all year.

There have been two changes to our travel plans so far.  First, we normally drive out to southern California in early March, for my Grandson's birthday.  This year, we didn't make it out there until the week of July 5th.  Then, as part of that yearly trip, we usually stop off in Moab, Utah for several days, for some 4X offroading, which we skipped this year.  We'll delay that until September/October, whenever the weather is cooler in that neck of the woods.

We are now on our third driving trip, down from western Pennsylvania to Florida.  This trip is to avoid having my friend's daughter fly up to PA for a doctor's visit.  It's safer to drive her both ways.  It's a 17 hour drive, non-stop.  We observe local mask rules while gassing up and for food stops, eating in when allowed.  Each state is different, as are some counties within a state, like in Georgia.

We spent our normal week in Branson, MO, planned and paid for a year ago and followed all of the mask and social distancing rules in effect there.  Branson was just opening up and it was really nice not to fight all of the normal crowds there over July 4th, our normal time to visit.  On the way TO Branson, we visited a museum just outside of Cincinnati then drove home FROM Branson via the aforementioned southern California detour!

While home or visiting, we self isolate, with the exception of local trips for food, supplies (Home Depot), or just to get out of the house.  My friend wears a mask anytime she is out of the house or the car.  I don't.  So far, I have been told only once, by an employee, that masks were required inside (at a Subway outside of Columbia, SC), so we left and drove through McDonalds for lunch the other day.  I spent 3 hours at the beach in Oceanside, watching my Grandson take surfing lessons.  No mask.

We tried doing the takeout dinner twice, back in April, for the first time AND the last time.  Our normal routine was to eat out once or twice a week, usually breakfast, but we haven't been home long enough now, since PA started to re-open, to get back into that routine.  An expensive takeout dinner isn't worth much more than takeout fast food, so there is no need to pay for it, IMO!

Our hairdresser opened up a few weeks ago, and we both got our summer cuts.  I was looking kinda scragly.  My friend thinks I look better.  We have both done virtual normal doctor visits and both saw doctors in person.

For the record, I retired 17 years ago next month.  We were planning two foreign cruises (Baltic and Antarctica) next year but will hold off on both airline travel AND cruising until it's safe to do so.  We will continue to travel by car, especially since our new 2020 Toyota Rav4 hybrid consistently gets 38-41 mpg, but not at high interstate speeds, where it drops down to 34 mpg.

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi,

We never go out unless absolutely necessary for food, meds, beer for me, and wine for wife. Our rural life fits us well and we are outside on our 3 acres everyday when it is nice out. Our daughter visited with her 3 year old for five days. They live in a hot spot and had to travel to see us. She felt it would be safe since they both work from home and have not been out of their house for weeks. The grandson was to start daycare when they got back home, so this was their last chance to see us for a long time without a 14 day quarantine. The son works from home but chose not to visit because he thought his wife had been exposed to the virus. His wife is a nurse. 

We feel very safe here and our neighbors are very nice. Everyone is very concerned and cautious about close contact even with masks.

Our main problem is all the folks coming in to stay at rural cabins in the area. We have more out of state cars on our rural 2 lane roads than in state. There have been two head on collisions in the last week, all four cars were out of state with both cars driving in the center lane (no deaths). If the folks coming in bring the virus our medical staffs will be swamped quickly.

There have been only a handful of positive cases reported in the county and no deaths as is the case with all the counties around us. The cases in any urban areas in the state are high with many deaths.

We are both reasonably healthy for our ages (78/72). We have no known health problems except for me having a heart attack 19 years ago. My meds seem to be controlling any more damage.

Stay safe,

S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Thank you all for sharing how it is going for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I second Learner's thanks. The responses were informative but not contentious. 👍

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

It seems that those of us in the "senior" category are being very careful in our COVID environment. My wife and I are in our late 70's and had already slowed down before the pandemic it.  We live in a small college town that is 12-15 miles from any larger population centers.  I make 2 trips a week to town for groceries, prescriptions, post office, bank, etc. and to water some plants I left in the science building the I retired. Streaming movies at home for entertainment, doing some "zoom" contacts with organizations friends and family and walking the dog twice a day in a rural setting are our major activities.

But I do frequently think that those of us who planned for retirement with secure pensions and SS and are now largely liberated from the need to engage in salaried employment are in a very different situation compared to younger folks, particularly those with school aged children. We have tried to be financially helpful to our grandchildren and younger nephews and nieces.

May this critical period end soon.  Keep being careful and thoughtful.

John L.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Probably in the minority here, as we've been going out regularly/daily:

- 3 times a day to walk the dog

- grocery shopping 2 - 3 times/week, including farmer's market, specialty bakeries and ethnic grocers

- physical therapy once/week

- daily walks in neighborhood

Also hired contractor to do remodeling projects around the house - installed Toto bidet, new windows, remote-controlled skylight, new LED lighting, etc., etc.

Other than working out at Equinox, entertaining, and going to operas, ballets and museums - which we miss dearly - our lives resemble the past. Won't let unnecessary fear ruin/run our lives. Deaths in our big city < 0.01% of population.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

We're in our mid-70s and good health.  Cancelled our two scheduled overseas trips; rescheduled one for 2021.  Not doing in-door or out-door dining out; miss my 3 weekly breakfasts with former co-workers, neighbors and church friends. Miss the gym greatly and church too. Live in a 55+ single-family-home community and folks here are being extremely careful.

In August, we will visit the resort we go to annually in Wisconsin as they leave rooms vacant for 72 hours between occupants and they have private entrances and patios/balconies.  Will cook in or get take-outs and may venture to one or two of our favorite restaurants dining outside.  

We shop once a week and I now eat breakfast out with four friends eating on someone's patio or porch.  Doctors seem to be learning more about caring for patients with the virus now than in March so we're being very strategic.  Had dinner once or twice with the Kids and Grandkids on the patio but don't let them in our house, one family at a time and they wear masks and sit at a different table. Have to take this seriously and pray for better therapies and a vaccine!  Stay safe. 

0 Kudos
Announcements