cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

OT:Harvard ranked World’s Top University for the 9th straight year

The top 10 universities are all in the U.S., according to 2020 rankings by the Center for World University.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/harvard-ranked-world-top-university-194236901.html

It is a video report. No wonder they have an endowment with "obscene" amount of money.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: OT:Harvard ranked World’s Top University for the 9th straight year

Thanks.  Agree that the top three are recognized superstar schools (Harvard, MIT, Stanford); some state that MIT is number one. 

The rest rankings are debatable and mean very little to me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

FWIW:

https://cwur.org/2020-21.php

When some Europeans or the Chinese rank them, their lists look different.  It all depends on what criteria you choose and how much weighting you assign to each criterion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

It's what you make of your education. 

Bob

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Ivy League, “top ranked” etc. colleges don’t mean much at the undergraduate level. Calculus 101, Physics 101, etc. are almost completely standardized; the syllabus, textbooks, etc. haven’t changed in decades. You get out of it what you put into it.

Having said that, an Ivy League degree, rightly or wrongly, can be a door opener. I experienced that myself.

At the graduate level it’s a different story. Graduate students can really benefit from departments with top researchers, Nobel prize winners, etc. (Again, I experienced that myself.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

"Ninth year in a row" reminds a story that came out three days ago stating that my Alma mattar. IIT, Madras was number uno among Indian Institutions of higher education ninth year in a row. It is probably within 20 in the world because it gets more than 500 million dollars (yes, dollars) in external funding for research. I was in second set of graduate program. What a progress in about 50 years?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Berkeley (not necessarily in this order) may be top four universities in USA and perhaps in the world.    However, if you form a single university combining them and another of equal size from the best of the rest in USA, the rest would have better faculty and much better students.   I also think that both Tsinghua and Beijing will reach their level some day - several decades in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Of the top 10, only one is a state funded university - Berkeley.   Berkeley undergraduate class sizes are a sight to behold and I am sure all the other well known state funded universities' undergraduate class sizes are similar. 

Seems like private University education is a gift worth giving to your children.  I am told if a family makes less than $200K per year, a lot of private Universities give means based scholarships.  I think the current thinking among a lot of private universities is that nobody should be denied an education at their university because of means.  I know students that went to Stanford, Princeton, MIT, and other private universities and did not pay a penny thru graduation.  Just want to highlight this info so folks do not sell their children short (by instilling low expectations).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@ECEPROF wrote:

"Ninth year in a row" reminds a story that came out three days ago stating that my Alma mattar. IIT, Madras was number uno among Indian Institutions of higher education ninth year in a row. It is probably within 20 in the world because it gets more than 500 million dollars (yes, dollars) in external funding for research. I was in second set of graduate program. What a progress in about 50 years?

I do not know what "story" you are referring to but, if you check the link I provided in my first post, IIT Madras is #572 in the world and #5 in India, according to the source you gave us.  I do not take those rankings as seriously as you seem to do.  If the French or the Indians or the Chinese prepared the list, it would be very different.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@Anitya wrote:

Of the top 10, only one is a state funded university - Berkeley.   Berkeley undergraduate class sizes are a sight to behold and I am sure all the other well known state funded universities' undergraduate class sizes are similar. 

Seems like private University education is a gift worth giving to your children.  I am told if a family makes less than $200K per year, a lot of private Universities give means based scholarships.  I think the current thinking among a lot of private universities is that nobody should be denied an education at their university because of means.  I know students that went to Stanford, Princeton, MIT, and other private universities and did not pay a penny thru graduation.  Just want to highlight this info so folks do not sell their children short (by instilling low expectations).

I made less than 50k/year while my son went to Columbia using scholarships,loans, and family contribution. The family contribution depends on our income. They also took into consideration of my second son's college expenses and increased their contribution. So, if the student meets their stringent requirements, money wasn't an issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

A graduate of any one of these universities can benefit from the halo effect, even if they didn't make the most of their opportunities there.

As a graduate of a small liberal arts college (LAC), specifically Reed College, I think my education was at least as good as what I could have received from those high ranking universities. There's also a halo effect from attending the best known LACS. One of those effects is that one can be competitive for admission to the most prestigious graduate-level and professional schools.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

My votes would be Yale and Oxford to open doors (deserved or not), but there is also the life of Eric Hoffer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I thought that this thread was done.

Dede: I standby my post on IIT, Chennai - with zero Liberal Arts - I give a low grade to Liberal Arts anyway and high grade for professional classes. It does not matter what you or others say about this. Period.

2. There is a news from Harvard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

From my own experience, school matters much during my undergraduate training (to set a strong foundation) and mentors/advisors matter more during my graduate training.  Of course, it varies from person to person.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@ECEPROF wrote:

Dede: I standby my post on IIT, Chennai - with zero Liberal Arts - I give a low grade to Liberal Arts anyway and high grade for professional classes. It does not matter what you or others say about this. Period.

I do not remember writing anything that could irritate you.  Please stay calm.   If you don't, it is OK too.  I wish you a good day.  :-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@Learner wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

I do not remember writing anything that could irritate you.  Please stay calm.   If you don't, it is OK too.  I wish you a good day.  :-)

Stay(Keep) Calm and Carry On, checko!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I think the URL you gave for the Yahoo story on top-ranked world universities has gone stale.  At any rate, I could not track it down.

I looked up "University world ranking 2020" on Google, however, and immediately identified two other rankings of world universities. One was the "QS World University Rankings® 2020".  It ranks Harvard University number 3, after MIT and Stanford University. [URL = https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2020#:~:text=Top%2010%... ]

The second ranking, "Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020," was more UK-centric (not surprisingly, as the "Times" in question is the Times of London). Ranking #1 through #3 were:  The University of Oxford (UK), California Institute of Technology, and the University of Cambridge (UK). Harvard ranked #7, after Stanford University, MIT, and Princeton University and the top three universities mentioned in the previous sentence. [URL = https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25... ]

I do not put much faith in these rankings, because, as another participant noted, they are based on somewhat idiosyncratic quality measures and factor weights.  Another reason I have my doubts is that I have given my own "expert" assessment of the quality of selected academic areas in several dozen internationally ranked universities. These "expert" assessments are intended to supplement such items as academic publications, Nobel Prizes and Field Medals, and citations of faculty members' publications (which can be easily quantified). It is much harder to place an authoritative letter grade on the quality of an institution's teaching and administration, which is why "expert" assessments might be helpful. But honestly, I many universities' teaching programs can any expert be familiar with? Most of us have attended at most two universities in our lives, and even though we many have taught at two or three other institutions, the total number with which we're familiar must be small.

As an aside, I think the "QS World University Rankings® 2020" can only be justified if one places a very heavy weight on science and engineering and places less weight on social science, liberal arts, and the arts. I suspect the "Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020" is influenced by a disproportionate weight placed on "expert" assessments from UK and British Commonwealth faculty and leading citizens.  In parts of the world that do not speak English (at least with a British accent) it might be hard to persuade leading educators that two out of the top three (and three out of the top 10) world universities are located within 50 miles of London.

0 Kudos
Announcements