Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: OT: Definition of Wealth

@Learner wrote:

ctyankee,

I do not understand your post or your point but I am willing to engage to understand it. 

"Is it really the achievement of your goals ... or is it the pursuit of those goals?"

In the past, it was the pursuit.  I passed the goal post years ago.  But I would have had no regrets if I had not achieved my goal.

"Either way, it does seem odd that you want to have a discussion about Wealth but are reticent to discuss yours."

If it seems odd to you, so be it.  The subject line says "Definition of Wealth".  I do not see anything odd about not discussing my finances, if it is what you mean.  I am not interested in your wealth or finances.  Besides, I already wrote that I consider some other things in life more important.  If you want to contribute, contribute.

I have not seen that movie.  Thanks for sharing those lines from the movie.  It sounds interesting.

@Learner 

I don't want to know your finances, I'd like to know your wealth ... because you wrote in your original post ...

"Money helps, but there are more important things.  Health, family, peace of mind, good values, wisdom, education/skills, etc.

What matters to me is whether I have achieved my goals; which only I and my wife know."

So ... not trying to play Gotcha, I merely read what you wrote and expected your goals around everything else but money would be paramount ... and interesting to hear what they were.  

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

Love the movie "Up in the Air."

Trouble is: it's an entertaining movie about two seriously messed up characters. 😦

Bob

@GLI2019 

This is true.  But, we can (and do) find much truth and interest in seriously flawed characters, including finding a bit of ourselves to some degree.   Willy Loman, Captain Ahab, Quint (the Jaws version of Captain Ahab) etc.  Every character in Dr. Strangelove.  Heck, most main characters in any Kubrick film.  

And yes, I definitely queue behind the Asian businessmen at airport security.  

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

"I'd like to know your wealth ..."

It is not going to happen.  I suggest you find something else to get your mind off my wealth.  In life, there are much more interesting and productive things to know.  One other thing:  Think about the importance of not crossing boundaries.

"I merely read what you wrote and expected your goals around everything else but money would be paramount ..."

"money would be paramount"?  Paramount?  Is that what you understood?  It does not seem to me that you are a careful reader.

Sorry if I disappointed you.  I did not mean to. 

In the future, I will remember this as one of the very odd exchanges I experienced in my life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Quite so, ctyankee.

I share your admiration for Kubrick, including his earliest films like "The Killing " and "Paths of Glory."

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

For me, “monetary wealth” was when I finally realized that my portfolio could easily throw off MORE income (in just dividends/ interest) than I made each year while working. That, according to my accountant, I was now working for our children/ future grandchildren. I’ve been a “prodigious saver” for decades, and have remained aggressive with my investments, so our portfolio is fairly large now. However, growing up very “tight” financially, I “worried” about money for decades, And it wasn’t until I sat down with my accountant in early 2019 that I realized (fully) where we’re at (financially).

However, I believe ”true wealth” is MUCH more than finances- it’s health, happiness, close family, a fantastic spouse (I hit a HOME RUN there!), great friends, hobbies/ interests, etc.

Win
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@EtoileDuMatin wrote:

@Learner wrote:

Help me please.  What was the saying?  If your income exceeds your needs, you are rich.  If your income falls short of your needs, you are poor.  Something like that, I can't remember.

Don't know how old a saying you have in mind, but are you thinking of these words from Mr. Micawber in Dickens' David Copperfield ?

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness.  Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Probably comes from, prélèvements obligatoires (tax). You give me five pounds, I give you three, now you owe me two.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Learner wrote:

"I'd like to know your wealth ..."

It is not going to happen.  I suggest you find something else to get your mind off my wealth.  In life, there are much more interesting and productive things to know.  One other thing:  Think about the importance of not crossing boundaries.

"I merely read what you wrote and expected your goals around everything else but money would be paramount ..."

"money would be paramount"?  Paramount?  Is that what you understood?  It does not seem to me that you are a careful reader.

Sorry if I disappointed you.  I did not mean to. 

In the future, I will remember this as one of the very odd exchanges I experienced in my life.

@Learner 

The exchange wouldn't be odd if you didn't edit my sentences.  What a hatchet job.  That is contemptible behavior. 

ctyankee 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

Quite so, ctyankee.

I share your admiration for Kubrick, including his earliest films like "The Killing " and "Paths of Glory."

Bob

@GLI2019 

Both terrific films and I've been lucky enough to view them both on the big screen.  

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

WEALTH GLIDE-PATH: There are two ways to get wealthy...You're either born wealthy, or you marry wealthy.  There's not much you can do about the first, but don't screw up the second!

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

ctyankee, I categorically reject your accusation.  The entire exchange is out there for everybody to see. 

Here is your post again:

I don't want to know your finances, I'd like to know your wealth ... because you wrote in your original post ...

"Money helps, but there are more important things.  Health, family, peace of mind, good values, wisdom, education/skills, etc.

What matters to me is whether I have achieved my goals; which only I and my wife know."

So ... not trying to play Gotcha, I merely read what you wrote and expected your goals around everything else but money would be paramount ... and interesting to hear what they were.  

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Not my place, I understand, but the way I read it was—substitute “everything else other than money” i.e., expound on the non-financial aspects other than money  which you believe to be more important to wealth.  

I read this exchange as a big misunderstanding, but then maybe it is me who is misunderstanding?

@Learner wrote:

ctyankee, I categorically reject your accusation.  The entire exchange is out there for everybody to see. 

Here is your post again:

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Health, family, peace of mind, good values, wisdom, and education/skills are more important to me than money.  Money helps because it gives more options, usually.  Money being paramount?  Never!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, but I don't read it that @ctyankee means money is paramount, either.  :)

Just a gentle input.  Please ignore me if I am wrong.  :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I might have misunderstood ctyankee's comment that included the word "paramount."  I already wrote that health, family, peace of mind, good values, wisdom, and education/skills are more important to me than money.  So, I do not understand ctyankee's question for me.

I got the impression that he wanted to know my "wealth," which I thought was inappropriate.  Maybe I misunderstood that too.

If I wrote something wrong based on a misunderstanding, I would have absolutely no problem in accepting and correcting it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

For me  I only need enough money to have the freedom to enjoy and the ability to  maintain the important things in life, family, friends, health, etc. That would be enough for me to have wealth. 

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

For each year my wife and I have lived (152 person-years) we have accumulated >$25,000 in our combined investment accounts, savings, and real property.* While we're not as rich as Croesus, and we don't act like Scrooge McDuck and swim the backstroke in our money in a vault, we don't worry about money. Maybe about cash flow, but not about our "net worth." Maybe about our health and physical vitality, but not about health-care costs.

About 25% of our current combined net worth came from inheritances from both sides of the family 7-10 years ago. In due course, our children will get a nice payout from our estate.

Addendum:  At all ages, maybe the most important resource is one's health. Abi gezunt! You can get by "As long as you're healthy" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjarc4PqYg

* I corrected the wording of this statement.

Lisa Fishman performing the Yiddish classic, "Abi Gezunt" (aka: "Abi Gezint") (= As Long As You're Healthy) with Chicago's Maxwell Street Klezmer Band. This ...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Hmmmmm. I must have missed that band whenever I was on Maxwell Street in Chicago, Juris.    :-)))

0 Kudos
Announcements