cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

OT:California state universities to cancel most in-person classes through fall semester

0 Kudos
49 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Re: OT:California state universities to cancel most in-person classes through fall semester

California is drinking the Kool-Aid being served up by Newsom and the rest of the hysterical Democrats. The end of the world is coming soon unless everyone stays home, unless you have to go out. And when you go out, wear a POS fabric face mask that does nothing to protect anyone. I heard LA County is going to shelter in place until August.  Nice all the rich people in West LA with their ocean views and swimming pools. While East LA can roast and be blocked from going to the ocean beaches to cool off. 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: OT:California state universities to cancel most in-person classes through fall semester

As the thread title, ECEPROF used what the piece used as a heading.  However, the piece is only about California State University System (San Luis Obispo, Long Beach, etc.)..  Separately, California has the University of California System (Berkeley, UCLA, etc.) and it is going the way the CSU System is going as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Not clear overall what will happen in Michigan ( happily, we do have a rational governor), but this much has now been made clear by Michigan State:

EAST LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - Michigan State University is proposing cutting campus-wide salaries and retirement plan contributions to deal with lost revenue during the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a statement, MSU President Samuel Stanley said the school anticipates an additional $150 million to $300 million in lost revenue to the university's general fund budget and auxiliary units for the 2021 fiscal year.

In response, President Stanley said the school is tightening hiring, limiting travel, and reducing pay for executive management among other steps.

The school is also proposing "campus-wide salary reductions in a scaled manner for all other employees" and "reducing MSU’s above-the-match retirement plan contributions."

The proposed cuts and reductions would be for the 2021 fiscal year, which begins July 1.

It's a heckuva way for President Stanley to begin his first year as MSU president.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Maybe the private schools (USC, Loyola etc.) will have better brains figuring this out. The real tragedy will be if the K-12 schools don't open.

@Learner wrote:

As the thread title, ECEPROF used what the piece used as a heading.  However, the piece is only about California State University System (San Luis Obispo, Long Beach, etc.)..  Separately, California has the University of California System (Berkeley, UCLA, etc.) and it is going the way the CSU System is going as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Most or all courses can be conducted remotely. An exception would be lab work. Sell the pricey real estate and retire the usually former politicians now university presidents. The first two years are taught in large lecture halls and by graduate assistants, anyway.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@astrokng wrote:

California is drinking the Kool-Aid being served up by Newsom and the rest of the hysterical Democrats. The end of the world is coming soon unless everyone stays home, unless you have to go out. And when you go out, wear a POS fabric face mask that does nothing to protect anyone. I heard LA County is going to shelter in place until August.  Nice all the rich people in West LA with their ocean views and swimming pools. While East LA can roast and be blocked from going to the ocean beaches to cool off. 

@astrokng 

That's sweet that you care about the beachgoing needs of those in East L.A.  

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

My intuition is that there will soon be major fundamental changes in almost every industry to adapt to the COVID-19 era (new norm whatever that means).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

When will THE people( you know, WE the People) are going to rise up?

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Played my first round of golf this year. No practice green. No range. Walking only. Only 8 players per hour. No ball washers. No touching nothing but your golf ball.I still loved it,

When you guys are ready to shake the hand of three random guys on the first tee, and buy a hot dog from the cart gal, then maybe you can talk about reopening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Beach going, surf, sun, and sand have a calming effect on the mind and body. Looking at the ships on the horizon, floating in the water, building sand castles, tossing a ball, picnic basket fruit to eat, stopping for ice cream on the way home, so much to enjoy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@DocWu wrote:

Played my first round of golf this year. No practice green. No range. Walking only. Only 8 players per hour. No ball washers. No touching nothing but your golf ball.I still loved it,

When you guys are ready to shake the hand of three random guys on the first tee, and buy a hot dog from the cart gal, then maybe you can talk about reopening.

@DocWu 

Holy cow.  I thought you mistyped that 8 golfers per hour comment.  Then I googled it and found that Illinois was really doing that.  Wow.    

Our club moved from 8 minutes between groups to 10 minutes between groups with one slot unavailable per hour.  That permits 5 groups per hour.  Most courses in CT are 6 groups per hour for a max of 24 golfers per hour.  

I won't even guess when food will be served at my club.  We don't have a food shack or food cart service or the like.  We only have a restaurant.  It's so complicated ...

1.  When would they be allowed to open?

2.  Would the restauranteur even want to open?

3.  If allowed and opened would there be enough patrons to make it worthwhile ... even if they reduced operations?

At present, in my neck of the woods, if restaurants opened, the chances that my friends would dine in a restaurant with social distancing standards in place are slim and none.    

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@51hh wrote:

My intuition is that there will soon be major fundamental changes in almost every industry to adapt to the COVID-19 era (new norm whatever that means).

I agree.  I believe important changes in the U.S. and the world are coming.  They would come anyway with time but COVID-19 has just accelerated them (and added new ones).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Because much of my life has been tied to small, private, liberal-arts colleges, I took close note of a letter my mother (94) got today. It's from Wells College (1868, Aurora, New York), a tiny, obscure but not fly-by-night private college that was all women when she went there in the 40's. They've had some near-death experiences already, solved with drastic measures like admitting men in 2005.

They successfully asked Middle States Commission on Higher Ed for an extension on their accreditation-related financial goals. But as you may know, the NY State governor is carefully regulating social distancing issues. In the two page letter (which does NOT include a request for donations, but does reveal that they got a PPP grant) they say,

"If New York State continues its mandate that our campus remain closed through all or part of the fall semester, Wells simply will not receive enough revenue to continue operations. A substantial part of the College's operating budget comes from room and board revenue, so without enough students participating in our residential life, the college cannot afford to reopen."

Tim

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@crefwatch wrote:

Because much of my life has been tied to small, private, liberal-arts colleges, I took close note of a letter my mother (94) got today. It's from Wells College (1868, Aurora, New York), a tiny, obscure but not fly-by-night private college that was all women when she went there in the 40's. They've had some near-death experiences already, solved with drastic measures like admitting men in 2005.

They successfully asked Middle States Commission on Higher Ed for an extension on their accreditation-related financial goals. But as you may know, the NY State governor is carefully regulating social distancing issues. In the two page letter (which does NOT include a request for donations, but does reveal that they got a PPP grant) they say,

"If New York State continues its mandate that our campus remain closed through all or part of the fall semester, Wells simply will not receive enough revenue to continue operations. A substantial part of the College's operating budget comes from room and board revenue, so without enough students participating in our residential life, the college cannot afford to reopen."

Tim

Yes, Tim. I agree. I pointed out this problem some time ago referring to Brea College in KY that Bob and I have known.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@crefwatch wrote:

Tim

@crefwatch 

Thanks for sharing that.  While one should expect change (even count on it), it doesn't make these things easy.  Particularly for those rather sentimental about their colleges and their times there.  It's quite the kick in the head to have given quite generously to a school only to find out it was all for naught.  

Sometimes the thinning of the herd is a necessary thing, but that doesn't make it easy.  

ctyankee

Highlighted
Explorer ○

I've been wondering the same.  In honor of that sentiment I wrote a little parody to "Mr. Sandman" (which I imagine some of us remember from a some decades back.  Hope you enjoy!

Doctor Fauci, bring me a scheme
Let me go dining or I'm gonna scream
Then I'll go shop-ping and get my hair done
And after that I'm gonna have some real fun

Fauci, I'm all alone
My stocks are down and my savings are blown
So please don't breathe on me upstream
Doctor Fauci get with the team.

Doctor Fauci, don't make me scream
Let me go outdoors to let off some steam
We know that you're not much of a rover
But let me have my friends come right on over

Fauci, I'm all alone
My stocks are down and my savings are blown
So please don't breathe on me upstream
Doctor Fauci get with the team.
Highlighted
Participant ○

Dont look now, but with everyone in the State on lockdown and doing absolutely nothing, your State is going to be BANKRUPT, very soon.   Others to follow.  Dont worry Uncle Sam will bail us out?

0 Kudos
Participant ○○○

From the New York Times today ...

"Most other college and universities, though, have painted optimistic pictures about reopening, hoping to avoid immense drops in enrollment and tuition revenue.  But they are privately making plans for remote-learning alternatives if necessary."

Full Article:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/us/college-coronavirus-fall.html

While I think most of us would agree that the crystal ball is cloudy about what schools should do and when, those that are aggressively announcing their plans to open in the fall are doing so - not because the school schedule requires them to - but because they are trying to limit transfers or to get undecided students to attend.  

I wonder what the professors at those schools that teach their course on Business Ethics would say about that ...

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

We need to bring the cost of college education down... so if tele-ed helps, I am all for it.

Announcements