Highlighted
Contributor ○○

OT: Bob and Juris

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: OT: Bob and Juris

We're residing in East Lansing and for now staying away from our condo in a 55+ community in Ann Arbor. I don't think I've ever been to that bar that became a COVID inferno. We stay out of all crowds, lines, etc. wherever we go. We wear masks and disposable gloves on the rare occasions when we go into any store, such as a drugstore (but we use drive-up window to pick up Rx), or to a health clinic to get a test of some kind. We haven't been to a restaurant since the governor issued the lock-down order.

Except for the student population the overwhelming majority of residents are taking precautions.

We walk in the single-family homes neighborhoods, usually without any protective gear. Or -- this time of year -- we walk on many parts of the campus that are sparsely populated, including the gardens and the river walks.

My wife orders all kind of stuff, including food items, for delivery by UPS, USPS and other services.

If we "need to get away" we take a long drive somewhere for scenery (cows, corn, soybeans, windmills, and trees).

Finally, we know that at our age and with our "preexisting conditions," we need to be especially cautious. We canceled our summer trip to Maine. I canceled a trip to a family event in San Francisco.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Good measures to stay away or to be protected from from the crowd as well as get-away alternatives; thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

https://eastlansinginfo.news/looking-at-harpers-cluster-outbreak-msu-teaching-assistants-question-re...

Looking at Harper’s Cluster Outbreak, MSU Teaching Assistants Question Reopening Campus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Nat

It's a misleading headline.

There is no order for East Lansing residents to self-quarantine.

What happened at Harper's was lack of self-control by the age group that now makes up 60%+ of new cases nationwide according to CDC.

My wife and I have taken many walks on campus and in the gardens on campus, but will cease doing so if students return.

It's pretty clear now which age group is the superspreaders. 

Nothing has changed the comraderie in our neighborhood--a mix of elders like ourselves and couples in their 30s and 40s with young children. No one has to be told about physical distance and in which circumstances masks should be worn.

My wife and I shopped this morning at our local outdoor farmers market--sensibly set up with more than adequate precautions. I'm looking forward to grilling fresh Michigan lake trout for dinner tonight.

Bob

P.S. What happened in one bar in no way undercuts the rational and responsible measures designed by Governor Whitmer and her health team. However, college towns may face some special challenges. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The GEU doesn't want to teach, but it has plenty of time to practice cancel culture.

GEU made the big time: subject of a deservedly scathing piece in the Wall Street Journal. It's likely better they aren't in the classroom. 😠  Bob

"A Twitter Mob Takes Down an Administrator at Michigan State:
The Graduate Employees Union denounced Stephen Hsu, and the president demanded his resignation."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

"grilling fresh Michigan lake trout for dinner tonight.." Sounds good.

May I drop in for dinner? I won't make it anyway.

Stay safe and health both.

Our county (mostly our city zipcode) count has almost quadrippled in three weeks. The state count has exceeded the previous peak set in April. This count is still incomplete because it takes more than 10 days for the state to complete its data base.

In terms of per 100,000 population basis, Cookeville is worst affected  - wrose than Knoxville  even in death count. My wife and I mostly stay home and near our home. Today, I walked in my street for 50 minutes and saw my neighbors except for one at a distance. You alreay know that my son's family live here. So, that is a big boon for us because they get the groceries. We also order from Walmart for home delivery. They order from Amazon and Costco that are delivered in two days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

May your entire family stay well, Nat.

For us and our kids and grandkids it's zoom because the family is scattered across the country.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

You are fortunate, Nat. None of our family lives close to MI. For the most part they're far east (NY, FL) or far west (CA, WA). Due to the COVID attack we've canceled trips to both coasts, and I'm not sure when we will get together again. We canceled our travel plans for Maine this coming August -- an annual vacation that our children also come to from NY. I still have plane tickets to the Bay Area (SFO) for Thanksgiving, where our extended family has met up for many years (including our children coming from NY).

But it's very uncertain whether we will be doing any substantial travel this year. Possibly our children will travel from NY to MI at Christmas time, as they did last year. But for now we are staying put in Michigan. An added element is that because I have a long-term illness in my immune system, I cannot take much risk of exposure to COVID. To be honest, I am very discouraged.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

May your entire family stay well, Nat.

For us and our kids and grandkids it's zoom because the family is scattered across the country.

Bob

This is another boon for us because they are with us. My wife is very happy to cook for them (and us all, because my son and his wife work from morning to evening). Since we have large space both on the main floor and the basement, they play around us. The elder kid does the school work during M-F using zoom. Now, the school is closed for summer in Chicago. Yet, her parents ask her to do the educational work during the day time. It feels like that we have the family under one roof just like the family system in India.

What all these mean is that my wife and I have psychological boost. Had we been alone, we may have suffered with some frustration with loneliness - may be depression too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Nat and Juris,

I get where you are coming from. 

We may be a bit different in that our kids are scattered from coast to coast and in between. We are used to seeing them and the grandchildren 3 times a year or so.

Zoom is a godsend.  We do it 2-3× monthly. It  really helps.

Let's all hang in there and we will get to a better place.

Bob 

0 Kudos
Announcements