cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: My Social Security Bonus "Stimulus Check" Has Arrived

Mine hadn't arrived as of yesterday so I tried the IRS website.  It told me it did not have a bank account for me even though in early March they got a direct payment from my bank account for the taxes I owed them.  So I googled around and was told some people who used TurboTax or HRBlock software and filed electronically were having issues.  So I went back to the IRS website and entered my bank account.  The next day I get a message from the website that my stimulus will be deposited in my bank account but they do not have a date yet.  At least there is progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@Intruder wrote:

@TheWizard wrote:

The number of people waiting in lines at various food banks around the country is quite troubling to me. There's no shortage of food in grocery stores but one needs money to buy it. So all those folks were/are living on the edge a week or two away from starvation?

Seems like a larger portion of the stimulus should have been directed to those folks...

In addition to the $1200/2400 payment plus 500 for dependents under 17 the unemployed receive 600 from fed govt plus state unemployment. 
how would fed government to direct the funds to the 33% of low income taxpayers who don’t even file tax returns and how long would it take? And the states can’t  process the high volume of unemployment applications received each week.

Governments are inept at a lot of things, correct, so I have no idea what an efficient way of dealing with this apparent hunger crisis might be. But waiting in line for an hour or more for food bank boxes doesn't seem efficient.

I don't know quite how Food Stamps work but maybe something leveraging from that...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

For me I was pretty confident we'd be getting some of this "stimulus money". So before it arrived we gave extra to places we thought it would be useful - now, not after the money started flowing. We gave a part of what we thought we might receive to the local food bank, and some to united way. Now the money is flowing I'm not sure what to do. We received our $2400 direct deposit Friday. I might need some of that money one day. Who knows. But others probably need it more than I do.  In the big picture it is a small amount. But a small, amount times millions of people, is not a small amount.

If they start giving $600/week, plus local unemployment, I know somebody who could actually start making more money if they got fired! Crazy! I might keep what I have left of the stimulus in the bank in case people cannot find jobs when the current stimulus runs out. I might consider giving back to the government the stimulus I did not need it. I might buy all my grankids  a savings bond.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

SURPRISE!!!

Today's mail (May 23, 2020) brought an "Economic Impact Payment" from the U.S. Department of Treasury.  A single check addressed to me and my wife. Less than $1,000 but this will cover our groceries for a few weeks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Amazing, better late than never.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

It is difficult to read posts on this issue by posters insofar as many need this check to remain whole.  $1200 is minuscule.

It brings back memories of the depression that many have read.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Juris2 wrote:

SURPRISE!!!

Today's mail (May 23, 2020) brought an "Economic Impact Payment" from the U.S. Department of Treasury.  A single check addressed to me and my wife. Less than $1,000 but this will cover our groceries for a few weeks. 

Wait until you get IRS notice 1444 via snail mail which is a greeting on White House letterhead from POTUS Himself suitable for framing informing you of the amount of your economic assistance payment provided under the CARES act and how it will be deposited. And it is signed in the distinguished Trumpian script style.

This is will be the first of several greetings which will notify you of future economic assistance payments .

Note to Ryan: This post is not intended to be political. It is intended to make all MStar community members aware that they will be notified of their eligibility to receive Economic Impact payments under the Cares Act  so they will know it is on the way if they have not received it.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

I know a young lady that has not received her check yet. Her first working year after college was 2019, Oct to Dec. 

Hey Gabe.....I didn’t really need it but I spent it. One of the few things I have ever received as a taxpayer of the spendthrift government.   

@51hh wrote:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 wrote:

I know a young lady that has not received her check yet. Her first working year after college was 2019, Oct to Dec. 

Hey Gabe.....I didn’t really need it but I spent it. One of the few things I have ever received as a taxpayer of the spendthrift government.   

@51hh wrote:

If she is not a dependent on her parents 2019 return she is eligible for $1200 as long as her 2019 AGI does not exceed 75k. She will need to file a 2019 tax return to get the 1200.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I have heard that the IRS is now sending debit cards, not checks. 

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

Why is this payment late? The IRS will process over 150M payments which is 50% more than individual tax returns For a tax year which includes 20M checks to SS recipients and several million veterans receiving VA disability benefits who don’t file tax returns. Millions of other persons who do not file tax returns will be eligible as long if they have a SS number and are not a dependent and meet the 75/150K AGI requirement. It will take until sept to make the payments. IRS will make payments until the end of 2020 to eligible taxpayers who file a 2018 tax return Late or do not file income tax returns because of low income if they have a SS number, are not a dependent and file a simplified 2019 tax return with the IRS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Things have not gone well for our EIP check

We don't do IRS refunds and I will not give the IRS my bank account routing info, so we had to wait for the paper check.

So it finally came on Wednesday. Ok, so we stopped by the bank to deposit it on our way out of town, using the auto teller outside the bank, as the bank was closed to traffic. I followed the prompts on the machine, but when I hit the last button, the machine made a screeching noise and the screen went a bit schizoid and then printed me out a message telling me the deposit had not been made and it was keeping the check! Huh? It gave me back the debit card but no explanation. So I went up and pounded on the door, a guy answered, invited me in, searched his system and yup, it didn't deposit it. So it is under formal review to which they'll notify me within 10 days.

I'd guess this is due to tightened security over fake checks or stolen checks. Sure am glad we're not of that growing number of households who actually require these checks to pay bills.

BruceM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I'm waiting til after Memorial Day to (try to) deposit the US Treasury check at my credit union. I can talk to a person by phone but not turn the check over to a person. Will have to be deposited in a box of some kind. Meantime I have a nice photo of the check in case things get fouled up.

ADDED: The total is about $890. That is the combined amount for me and my spouse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Juris2 , how about using mobile bank/CU deposit feature? You may have to signup for it but it is very convenient - log in and take picture of both sides of check and deposit is confirmed within minutes during normal hours.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@yogibearbull wrote:

@Juris2 , how about using mobile bank/CU deposit feature? You may have to signup for it but it is very convenient - log in and take picture of both sides of check and deposit is confirmed within minutes during normal hours.

Yes, that is what our son did. He asked for two checks of $4750 each (Yogi: I know what you are going to say about this. My wife made me do this.) and deposited the checks using mobile bank app. from his office room in Cookeville. My wife saw how he did it. First Tennessee Bank (now, First Horizon) has added this feature just last week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

For Juris:

MSUFCU has an excellent mobile deposit function on its app. Click on edeposit, make sure your signature includes "for mobile deposit only," indicate the total and which account it is to be deposited in, take the photos (you will get a prompt indicating if info was captured), and then deposit. 

Typically, the money shows up in your account in seconds. 

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

FWIW TIAA bank also offers mobile deposits. Very handy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Mobile deposits are the way to go with paper checks, correct, although I'm not getting any of this stimulus money in any form...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Colleagues:

Here's My Stimulus Q?

An unexpected treat arrived in the Friday Post. A stimulus Check.

In re 2019, My Family did NOT Qualify.

I filed my 2019 Tax return over 8 weeks ago, only received notification two days ago, tax refund approved, deposit into my acct next week.

I think because they took so ong dealing w/my families relatively simple #1040, 2019 tax return; they determined my Stimulus Eligibility on my 2018 tax return numbers where my family did qualify.

Ergo, when the light bulb flickers for the fed's that in 2019, I did not qualify, but in 2018, I did; will they want there $  back.?

Sort of scared to cash the check,.

Nobody  @ IRS will pick-up the phone to ask.

I Called my preparer @ H & RE Block[ I TOLD YOU MY 2019 RETURN WAS SIMPLE ], and he said the info they have is, No, the will not ask for the money back.

Thoughts?

Signed,

NoFriends1

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.