cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

My Social Security Bonus "Stimulus Check" Has Arrived

[MY (former) LAST POST IN THIS THREAD INDICATES THAT MY FIRST POST WAS WRONG]

WAITAMINIT! My truly last post below confirms that we DID receive a payment from the Treasury Dept.

I can see in my electronic 'inbox' at my credit union that I am getting about $2250 and my spouse about $1050. Obviously this mode of delivery means I don't get a big fat check with President Trump's signature on it.

I'll use this for a good cause, but hold it in reserve for now. It could pay for rental of a summer cottage in Maine. Which is my way of saying I'll put it to use but probably not for anything essential to me. It's my understanding that it's not taxable income. But of course if I donate it to a good charity I could get a tax deduction based on it.

0 Kudos
79 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: My Social Security Bonus Has Arrived

What is a Social Security Bonus? Are you saying SS has distributed to you more than your regular monthly SS retirement benefit?

BruceM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Yes, in addition to (separate from) my regular SS checks, which will arrive later in the month. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/16/coronavirus-cares-stimulus-check/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: My Social Security Bonus "Stimulus Check" Has Arrived

@Juris2 , we file jointly and got a combined stimulus check/deposit that was less than max [2 x 1,200]. So, your numbers aren't adding up.

YBB
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Juris,

We, as a couple filing jointly, got $2,400 in a single payment. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

@yogibearbull wrote:

@Juris2 , we file jointly and got a combined stimulus check that was less than max [2 x 1,200]. So, your numbers aren't adding up.

May be Charles Calvin syndrome :-)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/15/coronavirus-stimulus-an-indiana-firefighter-got-8point2-million-by-m...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

YES, you are right. Yogi, my online credit union account has 2 "pending" transactions. It could be that these are my regular SS but I don't usually see them this early. Now that I've inspected the message more closely I see that both are "Pending" but with a payment date on April 22. That would be the 4th Wednesday of the month, which would be the date of our normal, regular SS.

So they are probably not the bonus. I recently installed some software on my phone for following -- and making transactions -- in my credit union accounts. This is the first time I have seen pending transactions in the "Transaction History." I thought they were the bonus because I knew my regular SS transfers normally come later in the month. But the $2226 + $1027 amounts are about right to be the "regular" SS amount.

I'll keep my eye out for electronic or paper payments of the "bonus" later this month. I'm one who files using TurboTax and that has been associated with some problems in sending the special payments. Whether I get checks in the mail or electronically (or none at all...) remains to be seen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Juris,

IIRC, you were supposed to get it by now if you are going to get any payment.  I remember hearing or reading that there is a link at its.gov to check it, i.e., to check the check.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

IRS Get My Payment.  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

It works if one got refund by direct deposit in 2018 or 2019. In other situations, problems have been reported. If one paid tax due electronically, either IRS couldn't capture bank info, or doesn't rely on it.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@yogibearbull wrote:

IRS Get My Payment.  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

It works if one got refund by direct deposit in 2018 or 2019. In other situations, problems have been reported. If one paid tax due electronically, either IRS couldn't capture bank info, or doesn't rely on it.

That is my understanding. It does not matter if you pay through ETFPS or Direct Pay, IRS does not depend on the payment system but depends on the refund system, where the info is available in the Federal 1040 (almost to the end of the form - specifically in 1040 of 2018). IRS captures this data because it needs to send money back to the tax payer. So, the payment system and the collection system are not interconnected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Got nothing, expected nothing, shouldn't get anything.

Hope it mostly goes to those who need it.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

The $1200 amount is called a "tax refund" when posted, just like an income tax refund would be from my experience. Evidently the direct deposit info comes from the IRS not SS. 

@Juris2 wrote:

Yes, in addition to (separate from) my regular SS checks, which will arrive later in the month. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/16/coronavirus-cares-stimulus-check/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

It's worth remembering that some of those who need it most (that is, with overdrawn bank accounts or outstanding overdraft "fees") aren't getting any net from their stimulus payments. Apparently the enabling legislation prohibited governments from garnishing the payments for outstanding debt other than child-support. But banks are not prohibited from keeping the direct deposit. Even some "mutual" Credit Unions are keeping the money if there are debts.

(I am aware that few posters on this board are close to that socio-economic level.)

https://nyti.ms/3a8nWJC

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@GLI2019 wrote:

Got nothing, expected nothing, shouldn't get anything.

Hope it mostly goes to those who need it.

Bob

+1 I received via direct deposit $1200 on Apr 15. This money should have gone to people who are unemployed because of the virus. Since I am retired and living off of savings, covid has no financial impact on me other than the expected and inevitable ups and downs in the market which is always the case. If it was mailed as a check I would probably have sent it back. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

What is likely confusing about amounts and timing is there are potentially 3 government electronic 'checks' coming in to the retired household during this period: The stimulus, 2019 tax refund and regular SS. What is mixing this up a bit is regular SS is not coming in on its normal schedule. We both normally get ours deposited last week of the month but DW got her's deposited yesterday.

BruceM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

My SS check was posted on its regularly scheduled day.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

My SS check was posted on its regularly scheduled day.

Bob

Same here.  Second Wed in my case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi,

We each received our SS deposits on time. Our small federal refund deposit came in earlier about five weeks after sending in our 1040 form. We have not received the "stimulus" deposit.

Checking online gave:

Payment Status Not Available

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

My spousal unit and I received our $2,400 via direct deposit. I agree with others that this money should have been targeted for individuals and small businesses that are currently suffering from unemployment or a forced disruption to their business activities. Sending money to almost every man, woman and child in our country is ill advised.

0 Kudos
Announcements