cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: Illinois shelter in place (Yogi)

Hi Bob,

I could very well be incorrect, but I believe the new generation of youth on the beaches are Gen-Z not Millennials.

S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Screenshot_2020-03-24 Novel Coronavirus.png

Look at the numbers from Tenn. Even though the numbers keep going up by about 100/day recently, most new cases are in/around Nashville (Davidson, Rutherford, and Williamson counties). Our county count has stayed the same at 6 during the last three days. The increase of the new cases is because of the population density. It just cannot be avoided.

Also, look at the age group. I have observed that the total in the middle age group has been going rapidly compared to the other group because they go to work and not avoidable. So, it is not just about to be careful but also people in these age groups have to work for a living. If they do not have to work and stay home like we did during the last 12 days in our home, the new cases would not have increased at this rapid rate. That is "Stay home" will flatten the curve. That means that these folks need a pay check.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Two states away, here's part of a March 19 item by the Kansas City Star editorial board:

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article241353836.html

The  suggested this week that the global coronavirus pandemic is  because , there are not a lot of Chinese people living in central Kansas, according to two other officials who attended the meeting Wednesday night....

Reached by phone, Rodriguez told The Star Editorial Board, “I didn’t necessarily say it like that.” So how did he say it? “Italy has a problem with its health department, first. It’s health for everybody. I have a friend in the Navy, and he said in that area” of Northern Italy where that country’s first cases were reported, “there’s a garment industry and a lot of Chinese. If we were like Italy, we’d have it already.”

We do have it already. But, does he understand why it’s dangerous to Asian Americans to talk like that, and that there has been an increase in reported attacks?

“Well, they say it came out of China,” he answered, “and I’m not putting it past the Chinese government in communist China.” Meaning, to export a virus on purpose? “Normally, this kind of thing spreads slowly,” he answered, so “I put two and two together. I’ve been around a long time, girl.”

He also said that his only public policy goal in saying all of this was to try to discourage panic. “We’re hurting a lot of people in Manhattan” by overreacting, he said. “Places are being shut down for no reason at all.”

All of the above not only encourages racist attacks but also encourages the public to ignore the life-saving advice of public health officials to take proper precautions to avoid transmitting the virus.

“This is false information,” Reddi said of Rodriguez’ remarks. “It’s not keeping the community safe. I felt very uncomfortable” hearing his comments about Chinese people.

Tim

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

S.,

That's what was so unusual where we were.  The folks in the nearby condos were in their early 40s or so. They had younger children.  They would congregate and party and seemed desperate after restaurant closures. 

North of us the police had to tape off all parking spots at the beach to prevent young families from getting on the beach.

Old guys like me took things seriously (I believe the average age on Longboat Key is around 72).  Being social was going to Publix at 730 a.m. and getting my butt back to the condo.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@GLI2019 wrote:

Here's what Chinese authorities say about reinfection:

"According to doctors on the frontline in China's Wuhan City, it is still possible to get infected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for the second time leading to death from fatal heart failure in some cases."

As Ronald Reagan wisely said: "Trust, but verify."  In all cases, I might add.

Bob

I have also read that it may be more likely that there are false positives and maybe ordinary flu following a CV bout. Fog of war is in full effect here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

"Fog of war is in full effect here."

I sense the same nationally, though I commend our state government here in Michigan for speaking with one voice.

Actually, our local government has done a fine job of providing updates.  Happy to live where I live.  The community is meeting the test.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

"Fog of war is in full effect here."

I sense the same nationally, though I commend our state government here in Michigan for speaking with one voice.

Actually, our local government has done a fine job of providing updates.  Happy to live where I live.  The community is meeting the test.

Bob

Coronavirus outbreaks will be worse in Detroit, Chicago and New Orleans next week.

Bob, Juris, and Yogi, I entered these for you. I did not want to start another thread for this.

My son's family reached here. They unloaded the U-Haul truck almost everything(even their TV, Rice Crespi, etc. ) except for big furniture and they setting up their lives here in Cookeville.

Highlighted
Participant ○

Agreed. We don't need a MI thread. I did face a little problem yesterday in that Michiganders aren't supposed to be going out on the hiway. I needed to renew an Rx in Ann Arbor (65 miles from here). Turned out to have an easy solution. Called CVS there, transferred the Rx to a CVS here. Went to a drive-up window two hours later in ELansing. So problem solved. When next renewal is due in 30 days, the Rx will be here as well.

My significant other has been very engaged in ordering delivery of food, paper products, and health/medical products. A young neighbor and good friend did a major shop at Whole Foods for us a few days ago and will do it again. So we're OK. We do walk in our residential neighborhood on nearly deserted sidewalks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Yes, Nat, Detroit hospitals are starting to get overwhelmed.  There's talk of opening hospital beds here in mid-Michigan where the health system is less stressed so far.

We have had no problems with food and my wife's doc called this a.m. to confirm an appointment.  Dental appointments have been cancelled.

I have an elective surgery later in April and so far it has not been cancelled.  I believe the Michigan lockdown will be reviewed on April 14.

I am glad to hear your family is together.  At the very least that's comforting.

Ours is scattered all over the country but is largely hunkered down.  Two of the kids are deemed "essential."  That's worrying.

Stay safe and stay well.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Juris2 wrote:

Agreed. We don't need a MI thread. I did face a little problem yesterday in that Michiganders aren't supposed to be going out on the hiway. I needed to renew an Rx in Ann Arbor (65 miles from here). Turned out to have an easy solution. Called CVS there, transferred the Rx to a CVS here. Went to a drive-up window two hours later in ELansing. So problem solved. When next renewal is due in 30 days, the Rx will be here as well.

My significant other has been very engaged in ordering delivery of food, paper products, and health/medical products. A young neighbor and good friend did a major shop at Whole Foods for us a few days ago and will do it again. So we're OK. We do walk in our residential neighborhood on nearly deserted sidewalks.

To get my meds from VA I call an 800 number. VA mails 90 days of meds which takes 5-7 days. Because I have VA health care I don’t need Medicare D. I always recommend that eligible vets apply for VA medical care even if they have their own doctors because of medical benefits. I have hearing aids and a CPAC from VA at no cost.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi,

Just got back from picking up my meds. Had to go to our local pharmacy. They called us yesterday and refilled all my meds with a 90 day supply instead of the normal 30 day. I just drove up in front of the pharmacy with the check and they gave me the meds through the car window.

What service!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

MSU Clinical pharmacy and CVS have been super. Ditto our neighborhood Walgreen.

As soon as we got back from Florida, all 90 day prescriptions were filled.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I know times of changed, my spring break experience in FL in 1973 was hitchhiking from western PA, partying of course, but also lining up a summer construction job.

I wonder how many parents paid this spring break just to get a break from their kids.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

If you use CVS (Walgreen) pharmacies, I am sure all CVS (Walgreen) pharmacies in the whole country have access to your prescriptions. I moved my prescription from Walmart to Walgreen last October because I did not want to drive 3-4 miles to the west side of Chicago to get my medicines in a nearest Walmart there. It took one or two days for the pharmacist to get my prescriptions from Walmart. I got my medicines from the Walgreen located about 100 yards - just one block away. That was in October 2019. By end of November, I got my flu injection in Cookeville Walgreen and my refills in January (2020) again in Cookeville Walgreen. There are CVSs also in both places but I have to walk two or three blocks to go to a CVS. There is a CVS in the building where we have the rental unit. Now, I can get my medicines in both places.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

"If you use CVS (Walgreen) pharmacies, I am sure all CVS (Walgreen) pharmacies in the whole country have access to your prescriptions."

They sure do, Nat.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Bob

I am sure that you are glad to be out of Florida. The real trouble has started there now. Perhaps. the whole state may have to be under lock down. Florida slept at the switch, and it seems that it wiould pay a big price for it. Sometimes, freedom costs lives too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Nat,

Detroit has become an epicenter--particularly with such a high poverty rate (similar to Chicago).

The governor has shown true leadership throughout but the situation is genuinely alarming.

No easy solutions, I'm afraid.

Yes, as I indicated a number of days ago, we were relieved to exit Florida as we watched responsible local authorities try to cope both with spring break crowds and mixed messages from state authorities.

May we all stay well and treat other people with sensitivity, not suspicion.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Hello Bob (& anyone else who remembers me),

I haven't posted for a long while now but I still do "lurk" ; )  Bob, I want to give you a shout-out and thumbs up for your level-headed and even-toned responses in any and all situations.

Elbow bumps,

Liz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Fauci says US could have 'millions' of coronavirus cases and over 100,000 deaths.

This is level headed from the man who knows the stuff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I agree, Nat.

Liz

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.