What does it specifically require?

Stay safe.

Bob 

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Illinois shelter in place (Yogi)

General stay-home order is from Mar 21 - April 7 and schools are to remain closed to April 8 [they were closed last week].

There are many exceptions - OK to go out for groceries, drug stores, pickup food, doctor appointments [although some are cancelling routine office visits], etc. Law enforcement, health workers, delivery people are exempt.

Emphasis would be on voluntary compliance and citations may be issued for gross violators. 

Basic concept is min 6 ft distance among people. So, no parades, demonstrations, block parties or big indoor parties [I suppose neighbors can complain]. Walking in the park is OK but couples cannot hold hands [my guess]. Holding a baby may have to be an exception. Walking the dog is OK [if leash is at least 6 ft long?].

Most government offices will be closed or will have essential services. Public libraries will be closed.

My 12 year old granddaughter is already tired of the so-called online education since Wednesday.

YBB
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Yogi

For your groceries check if the supermarket has established senior(60+)-only hours. It makes shopping more relax and, hopefully, COVID19 safer.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@CarlosDS wrote:

Yogi

For your groceries check if the supermarket has established senior(60+)-only hours. It makes shopping more relax and, hopefully, COVID19 safer.    

Yes, several do that.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I read your local news every day here. My son calls and checks on us too. They did not leave home or you can say "they are working from home." This is the latest news. Pritzker orders Illinois residents to hunker down amid coronavirus.

Today, one of our neighbors bought milk and bananas for our immediate needs, since she was already there in the store. We are trying to order groceries in Kroger online. We developed a shopping list from the Kroger sale paper and we cannot add it to the cart. I have to figure out why now.

My wife's friend from Walmart (she works there) offered to help us too. It seems that, according to her, if the delivery truck does not show up, they may close the store. That is not encouraging.

The news is getting worse and worse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

ECEPROF, Walmart and Amazon have both canceled grocery deliveries, as well as my large regional grocer, Publix. They are overwhelmed by the demand.

Got a message from Walmart today where I have a grocery delivery subscription to try next week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

I read your local news every day here. My son calls and checks on us too. They did not leave home or you can say "they are working from home." This is the latest news. Pritzker orders Illinois residents to hunker down amid coronavirus.

Today, one of our neighbors bought milk and bananas for our immediate needs, since she was already there in the store. We are trying to order groceries in Kroger online. We developed a shopping list from the Kroger sale paper and we cannot add it to the cart. I have to figure out why now.

My wife's friend from Walmart (she works there) offered to help us too. It seems that, according to her, if the delivery truck does not show up, they may close the store. That is not encouraging.

The news is getting worse and worse.

In NJ Gov Murphy has put a curfew into effect which prohibits travel from 8pm to 5am. Everyone is to self quarantine. However police are not enforcing curfew because gov has no authority issue such an order. All schools and colleges are closed. Across the River Gov Cuomo is screaming on TV for US military to build hospitals in NY because 25% of all corona virus infections are there. Mayor Deblasio wants to quarantine all 8.6M people who live in NYC but Cuomo won’t allow it. Just another day in the media circus capital of the world. I can’t wait for tomorrow’s news.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

On 3/20/2020 at 9:45pm EST we had 5.8K new cases of COVID19 in a single day in the US. How $tup!d can anybody be to call it a media circus? Unbelievable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@CarlosDS wrote:

On 3/20/2020 at 9:45pm EST we had 5.8K new cases of COVID19 in a single day in the US. How $tup!d can anybody be to call it a media circus? Unbelievable. 

Carlos

the number of cases will grow as the number of persons tested increases just as it did in China and Korea until the virus runs its course. China reported no new corona cases yesterday.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@CarlosDS wrote:

On 3/20/2020 at 9:45pm EST we had 5.8K new cases of COVID19 in a single day in the US. How $tup!d can anybody be to call it a media circus? Unbelievable. No

Yesterday, it was zero. Today, we have 7 cases in our county as per our local news. There are no restrictions yet. No death yet. But, my wife and I have been staying home for 8 days now with no symptoms yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Intruder wrote:

@CarlosDS wrote:

Carlos

the number of cases will grow as the number of persons tested increases just as it did in China and Korea until the virus runs its course. China reported no new corona cases yesterday.

Intruder,

Fair enough but the facts are that we are not doing what China did that quarantined a whole city and built 10 hospitals in 10 days. This is why China has reported no locally-spread new cases for two days in a row while here we have a larger number of cases every day. I am afraid we are following a sort of Italian path where we are trying to catch up. I can only say stay home and be very careful because the situation is going to get much worse and the news media is only helping us to separate lies from truths. 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Speaking of Illinois and Chicago downtown in particular, my son says that it is between life and death. It may be a death trap there in spite of a very big condo there. So, they are getting ready to come "home," and we are also getting ready cleaning the basement where the kids can play. Actually, we  have a full and furnished living room with a fire place and a full bath in the basement. There is no problem for us because we have all the bed rooms and a full bath free in the upper floor also since the kids left. They can have an office set up here.

In any case, they will be here temporarily until there is some clearance there in Chicago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@ECEPROF wrote:

Speaking of Illinois and Chicago downtown in particular, my son says that it is between life and death. It may be a death trap there in spite of a very big condo there. So, they are getting ready to come "home," and we are also getting ready cleaning the basement where the kids can play. Actually, we  have a full and furnished living room with a fire place and a full bath in the basement. There is no problem for us because we have all the bed rooms and a full bath free in the upper floor also since the kids left. They can have an office set up here.

In any case, they will be here temporarily until there is some clearance there in Chicago.

Unless your son and spouse have existing chronic health issues, that may be an over-statement ("death trap").

80%+ of those who get coronavirus are expected to have mild cases not requiring hospitalization. In fact, since there's no vaccine, this path is apparently how the country will achieve Herd Immunity over the next six months, since once people recover, they are immune to reinfection...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

No health issues. It must be  a death trap because of the population density near the north of the river. I bet people are leaving from there. Magnificent mile is no more magnificent.  Multi-million dollar condo is useless now.

"they are immune to reinfection." Not necessary. It could also come back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Here's what Chinese authorities say about reinfection:

"According to doctors on the frontline in China's Wuhan City, it is still possible to get infected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for the second time leading to death from fatal heart failure in some cases."

As Ronald Reagan wisely said: "Trust, but verify."  In all cases, I might add.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

Here's what Chinese authorities say about reinfection:

"According to doctors on the frontline in China's Wuhan City, it is still possible to get infected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for the second time leading to death from fatal heart failure in some cases."

As Ronald Reagan wisely said: "Trust, but verify."  In all cases, I might add.

Bob

+1. Amen to it. That is what I have also read. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I mentioned population density was the main reason in Chicago for my son's problem of "death trap."

The NY Times has a story citing the same reason for NY's problem.

In my neighborhood, we have two short streets spread in about 10-12 acres of land (may be more). We are only 16 people in both streets. I can only see three homes through the windows in the summer because of tall trees in our yard. Now, I can see five homes.

But, in Chicago, in a two acre plot, they have equivalent 100 acres or more (15 floors of cars and offices and 45 floors of people where each floor has 8-10 condos). Imagine the population density. Can you avoid the elevators in such a building and therefore, people going up and down? Imagine how many such buildings in one square mile approximately.

You have to wait for a few lights before you can take a left turn during the morning and in the evening hours when we take our grand children to school and bring them back. Of course, I have figured out some routes. You know what? There is always a construction crew in the area blocking a portion of the roads throughout the year around during summer and fall. There is a big post office and their delivery trucks occupy two lanes of a four lane road. There is also a big fire station there nearby. Also, during these hours, FedEx, UPS and other beer company delivery trucks will also be delivering. That is the way the city life is, and that is why most people just walk to their offices.

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Delaware governor issued shelter in place order yesterday, to take effect at 8AM tomorrow.  

Interesting note, I have a medical appointment for Wednesday, and I called Paratransit to schedule the trip.  Paratransit is not currently taking cash or tickets, you can either do a mobile pay, or, if you are like me and don't have a cell phone, they will bill you for the trip.  Goodness!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

MICHIGAN GOVERNOR Gretchen Whitmer issued a similar order tonight: https://www.abc12.com/content/news/See-what-Michigan-residents-are-allowed-not-allowed-to-do-under-s...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Now that we are back in Michigan--with many thanks to Delta Airlines for getting us back 2 weeks early--the contrast between the state actions of Michigan and the behavior of its citizens, as compared to the relative chaos where we were staying in Florida, is just STARK.

Covid-19 and spring break don't work well together, and yet depending on where you were on the Gulf there was some enforcement and regulation or none at all.  The governor of Florida behaved like a wimp, although the former governor of Florida (Scott) rightly berated  Millennials for their irresponsibility.  The local congressman hosted a fund raiser and rightly received criticism.  On the other hand, the local authorities in Sarasota and Longboat Key were doing their darndest to impose a sense of order without much state government leadership.

It's not "Ok.Boomer" anymore.  It's "Wake up, Millennial!"

Bob

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.