cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

I retired two years ago at age 68 and currently have roughly 16% of my retirement assets in TIAA Traditional (GRA).  I don't plan to annuitize.  I know it's a complex, highly individual decision, but I'm curious to know what percentage of their retirement assets others have in Traditional.  --Aquinas

0 Kudos
2 Accepted Solutions or Best Answers

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: How much TIAA Traditional?

Solved or there is a best answer. Go to solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Aquinas wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

Vanguard gives the code "Q" for me and "T" for my wife.

-----------------------

ECEPROF: Question--where are these codes located? On your Roth statements?  --Aquinas

In 1099-R form, Box 7 contains the code. By the way, I have withdrawn a few times when I had ROTH account with TIAA also - even large amounts. TIAA was giving Q first. Since I moved most of the cash to Vanguard, even though TIAA knows that I had started in 1998 and yet, it gave me "T"  once. Then, Skipper and AL (he does not participate here now) gave me the idea how to choose and tick the part that it was more than 5 or 10 years - something like that. I did that, and then it becomes untaxable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
55 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Aquinas wrote:

I retired two years ago at age 68 and currently have roughly 16% of my retirement assets in TIAA Traditional (GRA).  I don't plan to annuitize.  I know it's a complex, highly individual decision, but I'm curious to know what percentage of their retirement assets others have in Traditional.  --Aquinas

I have 6% of my Assets in TIAA traditional.16% in CREF growth. Including CREF growth Equities are 90% of my assets. I elected not to annuitize because the last thing I need is more ordinary income taxed at high marginal rates. All of my TIAA /CREF assets will be passed on to my children.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

My wife and I have 35-40% of our TIAA funds in Traditional.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

We have about 1/3 in Traditional.   Plan to pass this on in our estate.  Will only use funds for contingency - this is basically our LTC.

Pete

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Most [71%] of my TIAA funds are now in Traditional; reason was significant sale from T-REA in Q1 & Q2 that were parked in Traditional. Much of these may be deployed into LC-growth in future but there is no rush. Eventually, I would like to have about 35% in Traditional.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

As a couple, somewhere between 35-40% of TIAA holdings as annuity income.  We are in our late 70s.

Just as a follow-up to Pete, we also have LTCI.

Both have been great decisions for us.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

About 20% of our TIAA savings are in traditional. My wife has about 15% of her TSP savings in the G fund, a sort of 'TIAA traditional' investment paying lower interest (around 0.6%) and warranty by the Federal government. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

It depends, Aquinas, as you know.

My situation is similar to yogi's.  It depends on the magnitude of our allocation to TREA.

My approach:  First, decide on the allocation to stocks considering the relevant factors.  For us, this is independent of what we do with TREA and Trad.  Second, decide on the allocation to TREA.  This may be large or none.  Finally, other than cash and cash equivalents, allocate the rest to Trad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

>Just as a follow-up to Pete, we also have LTCI.

Bob, we don't have LTC, but plan on using are financial assets, Traditional, etc, when necessary.

This decision was based on two factors:

1) Family history - none of our parents required LTC

2) Networth - sale of assets, property, retirement, investments if necessary to cover contingency (health, etc).

Pete

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Pete (and Aquinas):

I didn't intend to distract from Aquinas's OP.

It's simply that in our (my wife and me) mind, LTCI represents low cost guaranteed catastrophic income rather than sale of assets. Annuity income + LTCI + SSA = more than enough catastrophic coverage. 

There has been one catastrophic occurrence in our extended family, and several among colleagues. These events stick in one's memory.

Bob 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Currently 12% of my TIAA holdings are in Trad. Retired and taking RMD's for 6 years. I was never strongly committed to annuitization. But I put 25% of my TIAA-CREF 403b contributions from salary into Trad beginning in 1975. Then beginning in the late 1990's I began to TPA it all. Then restarted contributions in the mid-2000's. I retired in 2014, but about 3 years ago I began to TPA my Trad holdings again, for the last time. The money is being sent to my money market account, which feeds my required minimum distributions (RMD's).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

My percentage in TRAD has been determined by my objective for the TRAD accumulation, which is to fully provide for the standard of living my wife and I want to maintain in retirement (including her pension and our social security). The idea for me has long been that TRAD is the safest and most predictable retirement asset accessible to me, and that I wanted no stress or anxiety in retirement about what the stock market did. I am currently in phased retirement, getting 50% salary for 50% time for the next two years, and TRAD is now 52% of my accumulation. That percentage has been dropping, because the amount that the 52% represents is all that we will need. It was as high as 65%, but since "winning the game" with the TRAD accumulation, nothing more has gone into it. 

Jay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

25%.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi,

We hold 54% of all our total retirement assets in TIAA Traditional. We are in the same boat as Yogi and in time will lower our % but do not know how much. Also, remember a lot of our TIAA Traditional is tax deferred and since we are 78/72 have RMDs which will lower this %.

Also 27% of our monthly income comes from two annuities in TIAA Traditional. This will also decrease over time as we increase our monthly income from other sources.

S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Been retired since 2013. Married empty nest, annuitized TIAA ( my wife's ) in 2017 ,about 16% of current income . Currently have 14% in TIAA After Tax annuity. 

MJK.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Hi Juris,

Did you just rewrite your response?

S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I cleaned it up earlier this morning, before you wrote your comment. I don't recall that it was a substantive change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I think I remember some numbers like 25% was ..., plus others I will not repeat.

If I am correct we are very close in our sums except replace 25% with exactly $100.

Either way nice!

S

Sorry Juris wrong thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Ah, now I see. I did add to the "wealth" thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

My target asset allocation is 70% equities, 30% TIAA Traditional (20% RA, 10% GSRA).

I still have 15 years until retirement, and I do plan to annuitize some of my TIAA Traditional.

- oldzey

0 Kudos
Announcements