cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

Happy and Helpful Retirement

Some of us in this forum volunteer with AARP's TaxAide tax preparation and e-filing service for elderly and lower income people.  As a site coordinator, I am currently trying to find replacements for tax preparers who have moved away.  So it occurred to me that some of you live in places where AARP TaxAide people are currently trying to find help.  If you would get in contact with AARP or the local people who do this, you would gain the opportunity to do very rewarding work--and you would make someone who is working to find volunteers very happy.  I know that many here have the time, aptitude, and inclination to do this kind of work.  You'll be glad you did.

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/?intcmp=FTR-LINKS-INFO-TAXAIDE-EHWERE 

John

4 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Happy and Helpful Retirement

John,

It's wonderful what you do.  When I was younger I participated in the local Medicare advice program for lower income folks.

Now considerably older, I am more concerned about inadvertently providing bad advice, or in the case of tax preparation messing up someone's return.  I need hardly say that I use an accountant.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

@GLI2019 wrote:

"I am more concerned about inadvertently providing bad advice, or in the case of tax preparation messing up someone's return." 

Yes, Bob, we are all fallible.  The TaxAide process recognizes this by requiring that all returns be done by two different preparers before they are filed.  The second person is called a "quality reviewer."  The quality reviewer's job is to go completely through the return a second time.  More experienced volunteers do the quality reviews.

Of course, this does not guarantee perfection, but I do think that it guarantees better results than you would get almost anywhere else.  Most of us volunteers use TaxAide to file our own returns, in part because we have to let a quality reviewer go through them before they are filed.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I use TaxAct, which is just fine for me.  But if I needed tax help, I'd rather have Bob help me instead of a young person.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

You absolutely do not want tax advice from this Bob, Learner.   Run; don't walk!

Bob

0 Kudos
Announcements