cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Re: Bob and Juris: Be careful out there

Big 10 just announced that there will indeed be a football season!

2020 continues to out do itself every week.

--vp

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@NittanyLion wrote:

Big 10 just announced that there will indeed be a football season!

2020 continues to out do itself every week.

--vp

Bowing to pressure, Big Ten plans to begin eight-game football season Oct. 24

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We already have some 400 students quarantined for two weeks under the threat of hefty fines and/or expulsion from school.

And now East Lansing will get drunken students either at football games or outside on the streets with residents and police in jeopardy from student super spreaders.

This is a crass decision about money, not lives.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

A new neighbor who lives across the street from me works for the MSU Athletic Department. He does publicity, media relations. The renewal of the (short seasons of) a couple of major sports means he keeps his job rather than being furloughed. I'm happy for him.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@GLI2019 wrote:

We already have some 400 students quarantined for two weeks under the threat of hefty fines and/or expulsion from school.

And now East Lansing will get drunken students either at football games or outside on the streets with residents and police in jeopardy from student super spreaders.

This is a crass decision about money, not lives.

Bob

+1. Amen. What else to say?

I understand that the coaches do know the situation very well based on a story that I read yesterday in USA Today. One coach from SEC casually said "most of our guys test positive." I am not sure if they are ready to play next Saturday. But, the coach knows that his players are super spreaders, and he does not care about the rest of the people.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The coach is Ed Orgeron of LSU.

He, like many others, is looking at covid-19 through the lens of athletics, as are many of the players and their families.

What most folks are not considering is the long term health effects of covid-19 such as heart damage that has been detected in some athletes.

It's not clear to me whether athletes are being required to waive liability.  I think athletes and their families should accept full responsibility for their decisions.

Bob 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

20% positive is alarming.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Wisconsin is where a lot of my family members have roots. My FIL was born in Wisconsin, and three generations attended UW-Madison (including my wife, whom I met there in grad school, as well as her parents and sister). Some of the family's bodies (on my mother-in-law's side) are buried in Taliesin in the Wright-Lloyd cemetery.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 

These things are bound to happen in all college towns except for some delay in some places. Knoxville is just one of many campuses. It seems that more than 2100 have quarantined in UTK. I do not think that the visit of Dr. Birx to Knoxville yesterday will change the trajectory. I read a news yesterday (from a Knoxville TV channel ) a student (Amanda) saying, if she needs to undergo Covid test, she would leave the Knox County. They do not even want to be tested. If they cannot be even tested, how are they going to control? By the way, this is applicable to all college campuses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"Big Ten's decision to play football signals darkest day in conference's sports history."

"For decades, the Big Ten has thought of itself as a different kind of sports conference, one that proudly touts the academic achievements and Great Lakes values of its like-minded, highly-regarded, internationally-ranked research institutions. The Big Ten wasn’t the SEC; it wasn’t the Big 12. It was better than that, and it was happy to tell you all about it."

https://tinyurl.com/y3vmcf7e

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

College football will be the testing ground for "herd immunity"--and you can interpret "herd" in any way you wish.

In the meantime, John's Hopkins Covid website has just posted that 19 out of the top 25 locations for outbreaks have occurred in college towns.  Perhaps this escaped the notice of the Big Ten Big Shots.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Some of the MD's at these institutions may be distracted by their hobbies and habits of abusing patients. They're not worried about the big issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

d

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

This post is informational only.  It is not to argue for or against anything.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

I wonder whether revenues for bars, restaurants, and other businesses are in addition to this.  I guess so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

This is athletic department revenue from tickets, TV, sponsorships and the like.

Bars and restaurants are privately owned. There is no revenue sharing.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Tennessee still facing numbers issues 10 days from opener.

They still do not have enough "bodies" to play.

"Coach Jeremy Pruitt appeared on the Paul Finebaum Show on Wednesday and seemed to imply that Tennessee still does not have enough players to fully prepare to play a real game 10 days out from the opener."

"The SEC is less than two weeks away from kick off the 2020 season, and it isn't completely clear how many programs have full rosters ready to go. Multiple teams have had to pause practices at various points."

We still do not know if the major teams will ever play. Even Big 10 games start more than a month away. We won't know if there will be enough players to make it at that time. So, it is premature now to predict the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@GLI2019 wrote:

This is athletic department revenue from tickets, TV, sponsorships and the like.

Bars and restaurants are privately owned. There is no revenue sharing.

Bob

There is no revenue sharing. 

What I meant was revenues for many businesses are affected too.  I suppose those businesses lobby for the conference games too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Learner wrote:

"What I meant was revenues for many businesses are affected too.  I suppose those businesses lobby for the conference games too."

Yes, absolutely to sentence 1.

I don't know about sentence 2.  Businesses organize through the Downtown Development Authority.

It is far easier for the city authorities to manage downtown than to oversee off-campus housing where the issues arise.  There are only 2500 students living in a select few dormitories by special permission.  They are not the health threat.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Pac-12 to join the crowd. This completes the P5.

Pac-12 moves toward 'return to competition'

0 Kudos
Announcements