cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

19 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: Bob and Juris: Are you ok?

Yesterday we drove through the campus and there was some overflowing of the Red Cedar River. Also some street intersections nearby were not passable. The two dam breaks are quite a bit north of Lansing. But the flood warnings by the Governor are serious, with prediction of 9 feet flooding in Midland and ordering people to evacuate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/flooding-hits-parts-midwest-evacuations-michigan-n1210536

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Nat,

My wife's garden rain gauge captured 5" of water. My sump is running like a bandit!

Midland--north of us--is taking a hit with dams.

Also some lake front towns have issues.As it is lake levels are high, especially Lake Michigan.  What's the Chicago waterfront like?

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Bob

Our whole family is in Cookeville. My son and my daughter-in-law are working from home in Cookeville.  So, we cannot see the lake or the river in Chicago.

We are also getting plenty of rain. The kids can't play in the yard. They also stay inside home most of the time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Pardon the corny Poseidon Adventure music. U.S. 23 had flooding north of Omer, MI. Sounds like things are now worse over by Sanford and Midland. Be safe, eve...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Several days of heavy rain in Chicago broke record for May [and the month isn't over yet]. Chicago River gates/locks were open so the water could flow INTO the Lake Michigan - this is rarely done, so it was BAD. Recall that decades ago, flow of the River was reversed so that it flowed OUT from the Lake, not INTO the Lake [a historic engineering feat]. Sears/Willis Tower lost power due to flooding in basement. Many highways and roads were temporarily closed. Local CTA train service was disrupted. Boats were used to rescue homeless from Lower Wacker Drive in Downtown that had several feet of water.

No rain expected for a few days.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Thanks Yogi, for the picture. I know where the restaurant is. We have two condos (the first ones) in the nearby building,  Since, our condos on the top of the building, the tenants should be ok.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Downtown Midland, Michigan (population 42,  000) could be flooded by as much as 9 feet of water. Catastrophe on catastrophe.

Bob 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

2020, you have been an interesting year and are not over yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Dang 2020 - it is not even half time :-(

--vp

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@GLI2019 wrote:

Downtown Midland, Michigan (population 42,  000) could be flooded by as much as 9 feet of water. Catastrophe on catastrophe.

Bob 

Michigan dam that failed had its license revoked over safety issues in 2018: report

I understand that a new "Love Canal" situation may develop in Midland because DOW chemicals is situated there.

Catastrophic flooding could potentially release toxic pollution from site contaminated by Dow Chemic...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I recall back in the day a 11-13 inch rain in the Chicago area. A friend took his canoe through the SW suburb streets. I tried to find a way to the train, but I gave up when I realized the water on the road under the rail bridge I needed to go under must have been 12-15 feet deep! But that's still not like when a dam breaks.

PS: I never recall hearing that Chicago flooded except for when a contractor penetrated an old underground railroad barrier and the Chicago River flooded huge Downtown areas. Glad to hear Bob and Juris are safe. BTW, Juris, the river you mention must not be in Ann Arbor. I think that is the Huron River.   :-)))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Thanks, Judger. No the river in E.L. is the Red Cedar River. We are roosting back in our old home in EL rather than our condo in AA for a couple of reasons. 1) We were in EL when the governor issued her "stay at home" order, 2) We reasoned that we were better off staying in our single-family home than in the condo until the COVID-19 situation abated. We will reassess in the near future. In a 55+ age condo there are shared elevators, mail room, and other facilities (gym). And there are a lot of people at a vulnerable age. Among other things we would always be wearing rubber gloves and a face mask any time we went outside our own apartment, for example to go to the trash bin or to check the mail.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

"We will reassess in the near future. In a 55+ age condo there are shared elevators, mail room, and other facilities (gym).?

That is exactly the reason why our son's family left the multi-million dollar condo to the "poor" Cookeville because he said "it is a death trap." It took them three or four days to load their car and the U-hall attachment so that he can avoid the people in the elevator. They left late in the evening to avoid people, drove straight here except for one stop for gas and showed up early here at 3 AM in the morning. They know their bed rooms and went straight to their bed rooms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Nat,

There was a recent piece--perhaps in the Wall Street Journal--about working adult children returning to their parent's home--especially from dense urban areas to less dense suburban or rural areas.

I suspect suburban office space, over time, may benefit as well as single-family residential areas near less dense cities like Nashville or Columbus or Ann Arbor.

As for high rise condos, let's just say that they may be viewed in the same light as retirement facilities and the like. Such facilities already had increased vacancy rates prior to covid-19. 

Recent events have certainly firmed up our plans to age in place.  The mortality rate in retirement facilities has been devastating.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Bob

There are many retirees in every building there. The reasons are many. The important ones are: Grocery stores, medical clinics, Walgreen, CVS, restaurants, and other shops are within one or two blocks - 500-1000 feet. Another important factor: Wheel Chairs with a cart in the front can be used to go to these places. I have seen such people buying grocery in Jewel. Walgreen and CVS stores also sell the groceries including milk. I have not seen vegetables in these stores. Michigan street is only three blocks away for us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Nat,

I may know that lovely area.  My wife and I have used the Drake Hotel on many occasions. It's an extremely attractive area.

I also did research in the Newberry Library and we used to enjoy shopping at the Water Tower indoor mall.

The dining and theatre are first rate.

However, I can see how no amount of wealth can eliminate the "death trap" feeling of a high rise that requires use of an elevator, especially for elders.

Here, we are outside (when the weather cooperates) working in the garden, walking in the neighborhood, visiting with neighbors at an appropriate distance, using the town's urban trail system and, of course, taking full advantage of spring on MSU's beautiful campus.

No big city for us, thank you, even though both of us grew up in big cities.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Going back to the Dam issue, the Gov says that state will "pursue every line of legal recourse" against entities responsible for the failure of a river dam that forced thousands of residents to flee gushing floodwaters amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Nat wrote:

"that state will "pursue every line of legal recourse"

Yes. It will get dragged out in court for God knows how many years leading to God knows what kind of judgment or settlement or declaration of bankruptcy.

Meanwhile, the affected citizens suffer and likely the majority don't have a cent of flood insurance.

Bob

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.