cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Bloomberg interview with Roger Ferguson

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2019-05-16/bloomberg-big-decisions-roger-ferguson-5-14-2019-vi...

The interview lasts about 25 minutes.  It's thoughtful and informative.  Ferguson touches on many topics and, of course, one thread of the discussion is the function of lifetime income ( a view I share). 

Bob

8 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Re: Bloomberg interview with Roger Ferguson

Sorry, but link will not open for me. 

AKA recoveringdprof and rubirosa.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Rubirosa,

Sorry to hear that.  I just tested it and it opens with my Firefox.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

In case it's helpful to Rubirosa or anyone else:

I had the same experience this morning, i.e. clicked on Bob's link, but even though--like Bob--I'm using Firefox, I got a Bloomberg page saying that the page I was seeking no longer existed, or words to that effect.  So I figured that Bloomberg had taken down the Ferguson interview almost as soon as they'd put it up. Easy come, easy go.

A while later I remembered that Bloomberg was normally among the many sites for which I have my Firefox set to block cookies.  So I changed the preference for Privacy & Security>>Manage Permissions to https://bloomberg.com from my list of cookie-blocked sites.  That produced the page for the Ferguson interview, with a headline but not the embedded video.

Then I remembered that, on some websites, Ghostery will block videos, so I temporarily disabled Ghostery on my Firefox.  Only then did I finally get "the whole ball of wax" and was able to watch the video using Bob's link.

Still can't say definitively whether these actions were what made the difference, or whether Bloomberg's site was just acting ornery earlier today when I still had Ghostery activated and Bloomberg cookies blocked.  But others having trouble with Bob's link might try those actions and see if they make a difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to put you through all that trouble, Etoile.

Hope you found some of the interview interesting. 

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Oh, I'm the cause of my own trouble.  For whatever it's worth in terms of online privacy--and I'm not tech-savvy enough to know if it's worth much--I have all sorts of Firefox settings and add-ons to block sites from collecting information about me.

But then, when a site malfunctions--could be a Bloomberg video, could be a hotel reservation--I have to figure out which of these need to be temporarily disabled.

I did find the Ferguson interview interesting, although general.  Actually the piece of information newest to me was that he was already fascinated by banking and interest rates by age 14.  That sounds like a seriously precocious child already on a path toward the kind of career which in fact he would go on to have.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

https://www.barrons.com/articles/tiaa-changes-sales-materials-after-in-house-probe-ceo-ferguson-says...

TIAA Changes Sales Materials After In-House Probe, CEO Ferguson Says

"TIAA has concluded its in-house investigation following two November 2017 New York Times articles alleging improper sales practices at the financial services company, and has made some alterations to its sales materials, TIAA chief executive Roger Ferguson told Barron’s in an interview. While its internal probe didn’t find “any systemic support for the central allegations of those articles,” regulators still have ongoing reviews, Ferguson added....Times reported that TIAA had a saying about creating fear among clients: “If they cry, they buy.” It showed a headline on TIAA’s sales materials that read “Making the Client ‘Feel the Pain.’”...After its internal investigation, Ferguson said, TIAA updated some training materials for advisors. In addition, the firm clarified its policies to employees in the field “so that people wouldn’t bring in material and position that as formal training.”...."

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"We use an independent financial expert—Morningstar Investment Management, LLC (Morningstar)—to provide specific investment recommendations. Our advice program complies with the Department of Labor’s advisory opinion (2001-09A), also known as the SunAmerica opinion.

Interesting.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I rely on my TIAA WMA to implement certain transactions, in particular RMD's, and for general evaluations of my asset allocation, e.g., what percentage I have in equities -- but not which equities funds to invest in. Although he may print off an AA chart which we can review and discuss, he doesn't set a plan for me. And he's never tried to sell me on any new investment or investment vehicle. I don't pay any special fee for his services. (I had a WMA about 10 years ago who wanted me to set up a for-fee advisory role. But I didn't bite.)

I have a very different relationship with a fee-based advisor (with Rehmann Financial) on my Fidelity brokerage account, which was based initially on cash and equities that I had inherited and required an experienced hand to restructure. We meet periodically (once or twice per year) or talk in the phone. He doesn't advise on my tax deferred accounts at Fidelity.

0 Kudos
Announcements