cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
outandabout
Participant ○○○

one of the best plays on energy and infrastructure in North America.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Juris2
Explorer ○○○

Re: one of the best plays on energy and infrastructure in North America.

Okay, I'll put $1 million in it, just for fun.

Seriously, not looking for single stock investments.

0 Kudos
outandabout
Participant ○○○

@Juris2 wrote:

Seriously, not looking for single stock investments.

I've always left room for individual stocks and currently hold ENB, BMY, T, ABBV, D and DUK. All were purchased when they were considered questionable investments. The dividends alone produced from those investments are a plus when compared to other investments I held in bond funds I felt need to be reduced. I doubt I'll add to any of those stocks, but hope to ride them for a time.

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

Is ENB an MLP?
0 Kudos
outandabout
Participant ○○○

0 Kudos
Bizman
Participant ○

ENB is great if the enviros and Dem politicians in Minnesota get out of the way and let them replace their old leaky line 3 with a new pipe.  Common sense says yes.  But those opposing it have a different version of common sense.  I don't know how to handicap it.  

Most analyst types like M* analyst Joe Gemino will hype it as great, and if line 3 is scotched they will say something like, who could have known?  Maybe the thing to do is to just not worry and have a small position.  That is a defensible posture.

For me, I got out because I wanted to minimize my overall pipeline exposure, and ENB seemed to me like the biggest and most likely downside if it went bad.  Recently, the market disagrees.  It may work out swimmingly.  As Howard Marks has said, risk shows up lumpily.  That's why they call it investing, and not winning.

Edited to add quote:

“In the real world, risk = probability of failure x consequences.”
— Shane Parrish

0 Kudos
racqueteer
Participant ○○○

@Bizman wrote:

“In the real world, risk = probability of failure x consequences.”
— Shane Parrish

That should be stamped on every investor's forehead; a much better and more consistent definition than I think is in general use.  ;-)

0 Kudos
Intruder
Participant ○○○

ENB will out perform the market if Elizabeth Warren becomes president and follows through on her promise to ban fracking because the price of oil will skyrocket and gasoline prices will explode. Greater profits will lead Oil co  to increase their dividends.

0 Kudos
outandabout
Participant ○○○

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/enb/dividend-history

Ex/EFF DATE TYPE CASH AMOUNT DECLARATION DATE RECORD DATE PAYMENT DATE11/14/2019

Cash$0.56111/06/201911/15/201912/01/2019
0 Kudos
cliff
Explorer ○○

@outandabout wrote:

Ex/EFF DATE TYPE CASH AMOUNT DECLARATION DATE RECORD DATE PAYMENT DATE11/14/2019

The link you provided shows dividends in U.S. dollars, which might lead one to think that the actual dividends paid out had been reduced at some points by this Canadian company.

In reality, Enbridge has paid dividends to its shareholders for 66 years and has, by my count, increased its dividend paid out every year over the last 24 years.  Over the past 20 years its dividend paid out has increased at an average compound rate of 12%+.

I've only owned it for 12 of those years, during which time its dividend has increased from $0.62 Canadian to about $2.92 Canadian. 

0 Kudos
Intruder
Participant ○○○

@cliff wrote:

@outandabout wrote:

The link you provided shows dividends in U.S. dollars, which might lead one to think that the actual dividends paid out had been reduced at some points by this Canadian company.

In reality, Enbridge has paid dividends to its shareholders for 66 years and has, by my count, increased its dividend paid out every year over the last 24 years.  Over the past 20 years its dividend paid out has increased at an average compound rate of 12%+.

I've only owned it for 12 of those years, during which time its dividend has increased from $0.62 Canadian to about $2.92 Canadian. 

In US dollars ENB dividend is 5.8% of its NYSE price which is less than 6.2% dividend of RDSB. Both are qualified dividends. However there is a 15% Canadian withholding tax on dividends of ENB which are not held in an IRA while there is no withholding tax on RDSB.

Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in