cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follower ○○

Which stocks are best in Airline & Oil industries to invest now -want to invest $25,000 - Pls advise

Hello Friends,

I am new to invest in stocks. I want to invest in Airlines and Oil industries (or any other). I can invest $25,000 now. I would be thankful if any experienced stocks investor can advise me. 

Thanks in advance.

SN 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Which stocks are best in Airline & Oil industries to invest now -want to invest $25,000 - Pl

@SN wrote:

Hello Friends,

I am new to invest in stocks. I want to invest in Airlines and Oil industries (or any other). I can invest $25,000 now. I would be thankful if any experienced stocks investor can advise me. 

Thanks in advance.

SN 

I don’t invest in airlines and would not recommend investing in any airline until the markets know who the survivors will be. Airlines have always been risky Business even in good years and rarely survive over the long term. 25 years ago there were 16 major US airlines. Today there are 4. Most of the other 12 like eastern, Braniff and TWA went belly up.

The best oil co are those that are the best capitalized with the best balance sheets like XOM and CVX and the best time to buy is when the price of oil is cheap. Global oil co with 5%+ qualified dividends are a good way to wait out the coming recession that will continue for the next 2 years or more before the price of oil rises.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Which stocks are best in Airline & Oil industries to invest now -want to invest $25,000 - Pl

@SN wrote:

Hello Friends,

I am new to invest in stocks. I want to invest in Airlines and Oil industries (or any other).

SN,

I spent nearly forty years in the airline industry. I would never recommend holding an airline in an investment portfolio.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@SN wrote:

Hello Friends,

Thanks in advance.

SN 

I'm an experienced investor. I advise you not to buy individual stocks. There are ETFs and mutual funds where diversification limits risks, and are a much more appropriate way for a new investor to gain experience in the markets.

Highlighted
Follower ○○

To quote Warren Buffet on...."how to become a millionaire""

Start with a billion dollars and buy an airline. Maybe  consider solid blue chip companies, most everything has been "on sale" this month. Think long term.

Blue-devil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Bluedevil156 wrote:

To quote Warren Buffet on...."how to become a millionaire""

Start with a billion dollars and buy an airline. Maybe  consider solid blue chip companies, most everything has been "on sale" this month. Think long term.

Blue-devil

Warren increased BRK ownership Stake of Delta to 11% at the beginning of the month to take advantage of the low price. Warren’s investment horizon is 30 years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

I really appreciate and thanks to everyone for your suggestions and guidance.

Conclusion:

1.   Don't buy airline stocks if you are new to this field.

2.   CVX stocks are good to buy during this time.

Question:

If we talk about any stocks (not specific to Airlines and Oil) then which are the best 10 stocks which can be picked to buy during this time? Any suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

@outandabout  Appreciate your your input.
I am thinking to buy XOM and CVX stocks based on the discussion here.
Would you suggest me to do this at this time? If yes, what are other best stocks to buy now?
Thanks,
SN
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@SN wrote:
@outandabout  Appreciate your your input.
I am thinking to buy XOM and CVX stocks based on the discussion here.
Would you suggest me to do this at this time? If yes, what are other best stocks to buy now?
Thanks,
SN

Not one for offering advise, SN.  You might want to do some DD before you buy either. MSN Money offers various opinion for every stock you enter. I would be buying a bucket of CVX if their dividend was guaranteed, but we know that's not possible regardless of what CVX management says.

From what I've read CVX is better able to maintain their dividend than XOM..( payout ratio). There will be the day when I'll wish I had purchased some of there oils, but I'm waiting.

CVX's current yield looks too good to pass up, but if they did cut the dividend, most likely the stock would drop to its 52 week low of near $51.00.

We, just today, canceled our RMDs for the remainder of the year and will use saving from non IRA accounts for living expenses. 

I didn't hop on the hype of Dow 29k and moving up, but rather was lower my risk by moving into the money mkt. My concerns at that time were the fully priced markets(my opinion) along with recession worries. The virus really did the mkts.

Take care

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/topstocks/beaten-down-chevron-stock-may-be-too-cheap-to-ignore/ar-BB...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

March 2, 2020 Barron's listed CVX and COP under the article "sold and safe."  Since then ... a world of problems that make those choices less than clear. 

However, more telling ... XOM didn't even make that list.  Personally, I think XOM's dividend will be severely tested if the petroleum rates stay near where they are.   The article puts Chevron's "cash-flow dividend breakeven" at $55 per barrel and $88 for XOM.  Woof!      

ctyankee

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.