cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Investor's finding any value in stocks?

@chang wrote:

Curiously enough, I mentioned on another thread that I was happily sitting at around 60/40, and on account of the rapid surge in equity prices (my RTX climbing almost 5% a day) I felt unable to buy or sell anything ... just letting it all ride. And a very prolific poster ripped me a new intergluteal orifice, criticizing me of paralysis and missing "the opportunity of a lifetime" (presumably that means going 100% equity even right now). Having already "won the game" a few times over, I'm not exactly sure why I'm supposed to risk significant impairment of capital in exchange for the possibility of making extra money that I will never be able to spend, on the advice of someone on the internet. 

@chang 

In jazz sometimes the best notes you play are the silences. I suspect the same is true in investing. To my ear you are doing it just right…Letting the rhythm section play and waiting your turn to solo. Or as Miles Davis said to John Coltrane when he said he couldn't figure out how to stop playing too many solos…"Take the F###ing horn out of your mouth"...Same for our prolific poster.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

I got caught holding some toxic, black-box bond dreck, which I sold at a permanent loss. (Regrettably, didn't invest the proceeds into something which rocketed upward as fast as the toxic dreck plunged downward.) Lesson learned. Won't do that again.

Curiously enough, I mentioned on another thread that I was happily sitting at around 60/40, and on account of the rapid surge in equity prices (my RTX climbing almost 5% a day) I felt unable to buy or sell anything ... just letting it all ride. And a very prolific poster ripped me a new intergluteal orifice, criticizing me of paralysis and missing "the opportunity of a lifetime" (presumably that means going 100% equity even right now). Having already "won the game" a few times over, I'm not exactly sure why I'm supposed to risk significant impairment of capital in exchange for the possibility of making extra money that I will never be able to spend, on the advice of someone on the internet. 

First, let me quote what you actually wrote;

"I feel like I’m in front of the train — and frozen in the headlights. How can I buy more Raytheon when the SOB goes up 5% every day? I can’t bring myself to buy or sell a thing...
I’m around 60/40 with a lot of cash waiting for ... I don’t know, waiting for something."------chang

( From one prolific poster to another, what the heck are you waiting for? )

This is much different than what you want others to believe now. Your scattered, unfocused, and frantic approach to investing is what was at issue. Rather than being prepared for the market blip with a well-constructed portfolio, you were left hanging, asking questions, and trying to make adjustments on the fly while under duress. How'd that work out? Anyways try to keep it real and not twist other members' replies.

veni vidi vici vti
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

And I repeat again, “frozen in the headlights” was satire between me and rm. You might want to ask cliff for some lessons in humor. Or follow my advice regarding Siri.

Relax.... My portfolio shouldn’t be stressing you out. All that boldface red...!

“Rather than being prepared for the market blip with a well-constructed portfolio, you were left hanging, asking questions, and trying to make adjustments on the fly while under duress.” Are you confusing me with Warren Buffett? I’m flattered.

How’d it work out? Superbly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

And I repeat again, “frozen in the headlights” was satire between me and rm. You might want to ask cliff for some humor lessons. Or follow my advice regarding Siri. Relax....

My portfolio shouldn’t be stressing you out. All that boldface red...!

How’d it work out? Superbly.

@chang wrote:
 I got caught holding some toxic, black-box bond dreck, which I sold at a permanent loss. (Regrettably, didn't invest the proceeds into something which rocketed upward as fast as the toxic dreck plunged downward.) Lesson learned. Won't do that again.

I feel like I’m in front of the train — and frozen in the headlights. How can I buy more Raytheon when the SOB goes up 5% every day? I can’t bring myself to buy or sell a thing.
I’m around 60/40 with a lot of cash waiting for ... I don’t know, waiting for something.

What are you waiting for? Or is this just more satire?

veni vidi vici vti
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I’m at 60/40 and waiting for lower prices before I add more money to stocks.

Why is this causing you anxiety?

Actually, yes, the wording was satirical. You really don’t know that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

I’m at 60/40 and waiting for lower prices before I add more money to stocks.

Why is this causing you anxiety?

We'll just have to adjust to Bentley's quest of repeating himself time and time again on investments he doesn't own. Bentley has time on his hands. As a passive investor, and big time business owner you would thing he could find better things to do with his time. We can't expect Bentley to be away for long if he takes his short-legged dog for a walk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

AT&T Inc is considering selling its Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment gaming division for 4 billion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I'm still long APO on the theme that alternative asset managers will make more lemonade than lemons in this market over the next several years.  TBD whether I'm right.

The risk is whether Leon Black & Co. will spread the wealth with shareholders (too young a public company to be sure) and whether gains in the alternative asset space will offset declines in APO's other investments.  I also like BAM for this, but their RE investments scare me a little.

I'm also concerned the FED (or Congress) may offer many sweetheart deals--thus luring companies that would otherwise be grateful for the lousy terms APO would offer.

They've gotten hit along with the other banks this week, so could be a chance to jump in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/turn-10-000-700-passive-175232568.html

There are two problems with investing in Canadian companies :

1. Currency risk. Canadian dollar is only worth 74% of US dollar and Canadian dividends would be worth less if US dollar increases in value relative to Canadian $.

2. There is a 15% Canadian withholding tax on dividends paid to US taxpayers that are not retirement accounts. Withholding tax can be claimed as a limited foreign tax credit on US tax return.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Intruder wrote:

@outandabout wrote:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/turn-10-000-700-passive-175232568.html

There are two problems with investing in Canadian companies :

1. Currency risk. Canadian dollar is only worth 74% of US dollar and Canadian dividends would be worth less if US dollar increases in value relative to Canadian $.

2. There is a 15% Canadian withholding tax on dividends paid to US taxpayers that are not retirement accounts. Withholding tax can be claimed as a limited foreign tax credit on US tax return.

That could be troublesome to some investors, intruder.

0 Kudos
Announcements