cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
outandabout
Contributor ○

Individual stock holdings

I realize many investors hold individual stocks as well as mutual funds, ETFs, etc. Just wondering what stocks they hold?

I hold BMY, XOM, ENB, T, ABBV and VZ currently.

0 Kudos
47 Replies
steelpony10
Participant ○○

Re: Individual stock holdings

Currently: AMZN - 11 years,  V - same, MA - same, MSFT - 31 years, AAPL - on and off for 31 years about 20 years total, HD and MCD about 31 years, SBUX - on and off about 25 years, TXN - about 20 years, BKNG - about 5 years, BA, UNH less then 5 years with dip purchases. Totaling about 15% of our portfolio now way down from 80% about 20 years ago.

Used to hold about 20+ additional individual stocks like WMT, Blockbuster, INTC, etc. after we started investing in individual stocks around 1978 and DOW 750?  We’ve been consolidating and shifting funds to CEF’s, ETF’s and adding to 2 bond funds since around 2010. Probably will be out of individual stocks and into a S&P index to maintain some growth in about 5 years. But the execution of any future plans get more murky every day. Lol.

Your holdings are in the income category while ours have most always been for growth. So apples to oranges, a different technique is required. Generally speaking seeking growth is more a risk and requires more work then value investing but may offer greater rewards.

Bazinga
Participant ○○

Largest Stock Holdings, ordered most to least:

Microsoft Corp MSFT
Apple Inc AAPL
Verizon Communications Inc VZ
Amazon.com Inc AMZN
Comcast Corp Class A CMCSA
Union Pacific Corp UNP
JPMorgan Chase & Co JPM
Exxon Mobil Corp XOM
Johnson & Johnson JNJ
Berkshire Hathaway Inc B BRK.B
AT&T Inc T
Procter & Gamble Co PG
Alphabet Inc Class C GOOG
Facebook Inc A FB
Dominion Energy Inc D
Visa Inc Class A V
Intel Corp INTC
Bank of America Corp BAC
Wells Fargo & Co WFC
Nestle NSRGY
Chevron Corp CVX
Merck & Co Inc MRK
The Walt Disney Co DIS
UnitedHealth Group Inc UNH
Cisco Systems Inc CSCO
Pfizer Inc PFE
Walmart Inc WMT
Coca-Cola Co KO
Mastercard Inc A MA
PepsiCo Inc PEP
The Home Depot Inc HD
Tencent Holdings Ltd TCTZF

Technology-focused stocks are the lion's share.

outandabout
Contributor ○

Quite a list, Baz.

0 Kudos
DocWu
Explorer ○○○

T, WBA, ABT, BAX, ABBV, JNJ, PFE,  PG, KMB, APPL, AMZN, VZ, MMM, O, OXY, CVX, MPC, ROST, PEP, DUK,

<ahem> KSS, GIS GILD XOM, NOK SLB, BP MMP.  Down about $22K on these, all in IRA.

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

I realize many investors hold individual stocks as well as mutual funds, ETFs, etc. Just wondering what stocks they hold?

I hold BMY, XOM, ENB, T, ABBV and VZ currently.

I owned XOM from 2008-2019. Sold it a few months ago at $69. Steady divvy I'm sure, but it just keeps going maddeningly nowhere.

Now I own only EPD and MMP (gas pipeline MLPs) and MKC (McCormick). Until the day that the Earth itself comes to an end, people are going to need to move gas around and put oregano on their pizza.

0 Kudos
outandabout
Contributor ○

Interesting, Chang, that I'm thinking of adding to XOM as the dividend yield in at or near 5%. There has been some discussion that their dividend isn't safe. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
yogibearbull
Valued Contributor

I am mostly a fund investor. 

But I do look for washed out stocks with rebound potential. 

2 examples:

BHC is fairly advanced in its restructuring and still has lots of upside. There was a golden-cross in Nov [the previous one in Mar failed[.   https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=BHC&p=D&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p36398546513

GE is still early in its restructuring. There was a golden-cross in Nov [the previous one in May failed]. JPM's Tusa doesn't believe in the story but I am looking for the day when Tusa throws in the towel or gets fired.   https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=GE&p=D&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p96421971066

There are no income or prudent investment themes here.

But the question was on individual stock holdings and these are mine - excluding ETFs, CEFs.

YBB
0 Kudos
Bazinga
Participant ○○

@outandabout wrote:

Quite a list, Baz.

It pays the bills ..... a decent mix of large-caps, tilted towards growth but has a modest but reliable income. Overall, I embrace diversification in the equity portion of the portfolio. Unlike some purport with a back-fitted portfolio, I can't be confident to pick only "winners", so I accept the "Good", the "Bad", while trying to stay away from the "Ugly" (Energy, yuck). Overall, it's been a fairly well-behaved portfolio over the last 10 years: 1-year return=18.9, 5-year return=23.1, 10-year return=21.1

Some of the assets have shares totals so small I probably should not have even included them; it makes the list longer without appreciably impacting performance.

0 Kudos
steelpony10
Participant ○○

Baz - for years we used a technique for a balanced approach like you. We saw later on a previous poster used a similar method of how to chose individual stocks. It seems to work for value and growth stocks as well. 

If you accept that smart money, institutions that move the markets and their research is superior to yours, you cherry pick their top 20 holdings for a watch list. The top balanced, value or growth funds as determined by you in method and management.

We chose a growth tilt and all we currently own are gleamed from top growth funds, index’s and ETF’s bought on market dips, earnings misses, momentum, corrections etc. With only a small number of holdings and much greater risk we seem to do well compared to those same top funds using their research. We just make bigger investments in fewer holdings at this point because individual stocks now comprise about 15% of our total retirement value.

As top 20 holdings in many value vehicles XOM, T and VZ are currently favored by most for safer income. Investing using actual facts like these is an easy method to upgrade quality and safety plus decrease your workload and stress.

0 Kudos
Gary1952
Contributor ○○○

You killed the market long term. Great job.

@Bazinga wrote:

@outandabout wrote:

Quite a list, Baz.

It pays the bills ..... a decent mix of large-caps, tilted towards growth but has a modest but reliable income. Overall, I embrace diversification in the equity portion of the portfolio. Unlike some purport with a back-fitted portfolio, I can't be confident to pick only "winners", so I accept the "Good", the "Bad", while trying to stay away from the "Ugly" (Energy, yuck). Overall, it's been a fairly well-behaved portfolio over the last 10 years: 1-year return=18.9, 5-year return=23.1, 10-year return=21.1

0 Kudos
outandabout
Contributor ○

BMY and ABBV make nice moves to the upside.

0 Kudos
ctyankee
Participant ○

@steelpony10 wrote:

Currently: AMZN - 11 years,  V - same, MA - same, MSFT - 31 years, AAPL - on and off for 31 years about 20 years total, HD and MCD about 31 years, SBUX - on and off about 25 years, TXN - about 20 years, BKNG - about 5 years, BA, UNH less then 5 years with dip purchases. Totaling about 15% of our portfolio now way down from 80% about 20 years ago.

Used to hold about 20+ additional individual stocks like WMT, Blockbuster, INTC, etc. after we started investing in individual stocks around 1978 and DOW 750?  We’ve been consolidating and shifting funds to CEF’s, ETF’s and adding to 2 bond funds since around 2010. Probably will be out of individual stocks and into a S&P index to maintain some growth in about 5 years. But the execution of any future plans get more murky every day. Lol.

Your holdings are in the income category while ours have most always been for growth. So apples to oranges, a different technique is required. Generally speaking seeking growth is more a risk and requires more work then value investing but may offer greater rewards.

@steelpony10  ,

Thanks for the interesting post.

My mom was quite interested in the stock market and I'm sure that her interest was a factor in my interest.  We used to watch Wall Street Week with Luis Rukeyser on PBS together.  While much of it went over my head as a kid, my mom's simplistic approach of buying what she knew and liked did not.  So, HD, DIS and MCD were three of her favorites and did well, of course.  Others like Eastern Airlines did not.  But she had fun and so do I by owning individual stocks.

We all have winners and losers and I try to take advantage of that reality by tax-loss harvesting. 

Highly appreciated stocks have gone to my Donor Advised Fund or direct to individual schools or charities, including this year.  

Like you, there will be a time when I no longer have the capability to do individual stocks in any significant manner.  I might buy some ETF-like structures where I own the underlying assets.  Wealthfront and Fidelity do that.  That way, they do the tax-loss harvesting for you as part of the service.  That's something you don't get with an Index Fund or ETF.  I might start dabbling in that just to see how it goes.    

ctyankee

0 Kudos
PN
Participant ○○

I just sold my last individually owned stock on Monday, 12/9 sold ENB at 38.8311. It being up over 31% YTD, I felt like taking the money.

I noted that there was no commission, as per Schwab’s new policy, the Trade Transaction Details said:

Commission:        0.00

EXCH PROC Fee:  4.02

0 Kudos
vubao6868
Follower ○○

I hold 36 individual stock, AT&T is one of my longest holding group, happy with it, it pays my phone bill and I still have some money left from its dividend.

0 Kudos
outandabout
Contributor ○

Argus upgrades BMY to BUY. Haven't seen a link to the upgrade, but did hear it on NBR. 

0 Kudos
steelpony10
Participant ○○

ctyankee - we handled our parents portfolios for years so we’re just trying to gradually ease out and simplify things if any of our children ever need to take over. 

We actually had three investment mentors starting in high school coincidently dealing with growth, value and income type investing. So we used all three to diversify cash flow for years.. We invested in three sections depending on the best available situation when cash was available, so no set allocations or foreign investments.

Anyway we just finished our yearly review shuffled the deck and continued with the long range general plan probably the last time. “Projecting” that we’re set for about 15 more years before any spend down it’s time to let excess income go to cash or give it away. Our charity of choice is our children and/or grandchild the ones that could benefit most with any long term gains. Of course we will retain enough to cover LTC awhile with a dedicated part of our retirement holdings which includes in part the listed stocks, funds and ETF’s along with some of the cash.

0 Kudos
3M
Explorer ○○

My Grandfather worked as an executive for a predecessor of SPGI.  My father inherited the shares and tax concerns prevented any sale for multi decades.  The shares are now with my mother.  Some day I will inherit and will then decide what to do with what has become a ridiculous situation.

Also own shares of BRK.b which has appreciated over twice from initial purchase.  So, I'm gradually working my self into a similar situation.

Fortunately, neither of these companies are near BUY or SELL prices.

0 Kudos
outandabout
Contributor ○

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dividendchannel/2019/12/16/bristol-myers-squibb-a-top-socially-responsi...

• Share to twitter Share to linkedin

"Bristol-Myers Squibb has been named a Top Socially Responsible Dividend Stock by Dividend Channel, signifying a stock with above-average ''DividendRank'' statistics including a strong 2.8% yield, as well as being recognized by prominent asset managers as being a socially responsible investment, through analysis of social and environmental criteria. Environmental criteria include considerations like the environmental impact of the company's products and services, as well as the company's efficiency in terms of its use of energy and resources. Social criteria include elements such as human rights, child labor, corporate diversity, and the company's impact on society — for instance, taken into consideration would be business activities tied to weapons, gambling, tobacco, and alcohol."

0 Kudos
DocWu
Explorer ○○○

@3M wrote:

My Grandfather worked as an executive for a predecessor of SPGI.  My father inherited the shares and tax concerns prevented any sale for multi decades.  The shares are now with my mother.  Some day I will inherit and will then decide what to do with what has become a ridiculous situation.

Take the step up value and sell for no capital gains when you inherit..

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in