cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

Listening to your heart regarding the selling of a stock is usually a terrible idea.

Why not sell half?

@youth wrote:

I am keeping a very close eye on FB.  I do not like what is occurring.  I have a fairly large holding.  My head is telling me to take some profits....my heart is telling me to stand still.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Add starbuks to it. Starbucks says it will pause advertising.

"sorta censorship by cash."

Sorry to disagree. It is not censorship. It is exactly the cash the business people understand most, and it is entirely dependent on the future demographics and not dependent on Archie Bunkers or Andi Griffiths. I undertsand from a story that I read a few years ago in WaPo that even Andi Griffith did not want to go back to his home town. I do not want to spend time in describing what is going on now in a very conservative dixie town like mine. It is in dixe, the university is located in the Dixie Avenue but the demographics has slowly changed, and accordingly, the rules and regulations also change with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@youth wrote:

I am keeping a very close eye on FB.  I do not like what is occurring.  I have a fairly large holding.  My head is telling me to take some profits....my heart is telling me to stand still.  

Gabe

Too late for this round, maybe consider selling when recovering a bit?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

I dont have alot of sympathy for any company that SELLs its customers data to others, in order to profit from their invasion of personal privacy.  Hope the advertisers all leave en masse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Those companies had to adjust ads budget due to pandemic slow down. It's more like delaying order. It couldn't be better to blame FB instead of acknowledging weak business to announce it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@balanced wrote:

Those companies had to adjust ads budget due to pandemic slow down. It's more like delaying order. It couldn't be better to blame FB instead of acknowledging weak business to announce it.

Not exactly. There is a growing revolt against FB which more advertisers are joining each day. Latest to pull ads is Starbucks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@51hh wrote:

@youth wrote:

Gabe

Too late for this round, maybe consider selling when recovering a bit?

I agree.  I believe that Mr. Z will make some changes to get back those advertisers soon.  I added to my holding earlier in the year....around $138.  It is now selling in the 200 or so.....up today, I believe around $8

Gabe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Country is in serious trouble  (covid, leadership issues, unemployment) stock market goes up. Company is in serious trouble stock goes up.it seems Money printing overrides everything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

Country is in serious trouble  (covid, leadership issues, unemployment) stock market goes up. Company is in serious trouble stock goes up.it seems Money printing overrides everything.

would you prefer that the stock market decline instead of recover just to satisfy your mood That country is in serious trouble?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Personally, I think last time we were in serious trouble, was during great depression - 1929 to 1939.  Most American have never seen hard times which is a very very good thing. 2008 was really mild actually despite all the noise.

Longer term -

world has been becoming much better place over the years. American era  in world history has been good for world so far.

Wars are much less, disease is much less,  quality of material life is more on average.

Short Term - 

Zuckerberg is a capitalist. He will work it out with advertisers.

All central banks are printing money. Markets are going up.

We will eventually get better leaders. And control Covid.

"Hakuna-matata"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@Intruder wrote:

@rhythmmethod wrote:

I could NEVER understand the success of FB. Zuckerberg is like the creepy neighbor we had as a kid that the parents told us to keep away from and not let our small animals near him either.

Reason for FB success is that ZB allows 2B people around the world to connect to each other for free as long as they don’t mind FB collecting their personal information and selling it to advertisers and marketers who will target them for ads. Great business model- FB collects trillions of pieces of information on 2B customers for nothing and sells it at a profit.

This.  

Communicating with family and friends from school and work without paying anything for the service in exchange for dealing with ads ... Yes Please!!!

Furthermore, folks that are all upset about their so-called privacy?  Please.  If FB offered a paid service where they didn't touch your data.  Those that choose to whine would continue to whine and continue to use the free service.  Because money talks and we know what walks ...

ctyankee

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

ads on fb and google do not bother me at all. Free is better. 

Broadcast networks have the same model. But there ads are in your face and really irritating. I would prefer paying subscription for netflix or youtube premium or amazon prime rather than watch ads in middle of my video.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I never make investment decisions based on articles or views.  The price reflects everything you need to know, it's what willing buyers paid for it.

How many companies do you know with over 2.6 Billion users and exposed to ads constantly?

The last blip may be an opportunity.

fb.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@FD1001 wrote:

I never make investment decisions based on articles or views.  The price reflects everything you need to know, it's what willing buyers paid for it

fb.PNG

There are better opportunities with other FAANG+M and recovery stocks that do not tote the baggage that FB is carrying around and are not LST (Large Slow Targets) for regulators in EU and US.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

Add starbuks to it. Starbucks says it will pause advertising.

"sorta censorship by cash."

Sorry to disagree. It is not censorship. It is exactly the cash the business people understand most, and it is entirely dependent on the future demographics and not dependent on Archie Bunkers or Andi Griffiths. I undertsand from a story that I read a few years ago in WaPo that even Andi Griffith did not want to go back to his home town. I do not want to spend time in describing what is going on now in a very conservative dixie town like mine. It is in dixe, the university is located in the Dixie Avenue but the demographics has slowly changed, and accordingly, the rules and regulations also change with it.

I just don’t like political correctness. If everyone says your a witch you get burned at the stake. Give individuals a chance to make their own judgements. Although individuals aren’t too mature these days so maybe that isn’t a good idea either. Lol.

Speaking of Facebook though this is how this usually works, in back rooms of course. The Zuckman agrees to make some kind of profound public statement pledging to correct whatever the problem seems to be allowing sponsors to save face and return with some concessions of course.

As the largest social media platform in the world with over 2.5 billion, that’s billion, members you want to advertise there or someone else will take your slot. Notice how the smart money the last few days bought more, the price has gone up dramatically. Bought on bad news? Thst’s how you make money investing.

Talcum powder,JNJ, syringe in a Pepsi bottle, a Tylenol bottle tampered with etc. The Zuckman made the same mistake as Gates made, didn’t cozy up to Congress fast enough. He needs to make political friends. By the way the MSFT  “monopoly” didn’t get broken up, fancy that.

FB business as usual, buying opportunity, this too shall pass.

*Great instincts Gabe, FB. Seasoned investors.*

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Intruder wrote:

@FD1001 wrote:

I never make investment decisions based on articles or views.  The price reflects everything you need to know, it's what willing buyers paid for it

fb.PNG

There are better opportunities with other FAANG+M and recovery stocks that do not tote the baggage that FB is carrying around and are not LST (Large Slow Targets) for regulators in EU and US.

I agree with your previous post "AAPL, AMZN, MSFT and Netflix are far less exposed to media attacks on their Business models."

But what if you want 10 stocks?  please no high yielder?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Gary,

I came late to this thread, but I share your distrust of FB (and Zuckerberg).

I don't invest based on virtue but I value few things more than my privacy.

I got out of FB with friends and family about five years ago. FB is a glorified pimp of privacy.

Bob

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

So is the thesis - Covid can impact the growth in digital ad spending. And that might impact the fb P/E thus giving us an buying opportunity?

or thinking is that there will be permanent decline in overall ad spending?

Why would FB's share decline?

Btw, Amazon's advertising revenues are impressive and growing as well though no where near Google and FB's ad reveneues.

(I do not own FB stock.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

It seems to me the effect of ad boycott is temporary. The serious trouble is when enough users STOP using FB. That I don't see happening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Frankly, I hope fakebook fails completely and takes mark yuckyberg with it..  

0 Kudos
Announcements