cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

FB is in serious trouble

Hershy, Coke, and other big companies are cancelling their ads in FB. There are several series of cancellations. They are striking where it hurts most - revenue syream. Zukerburg is in serious trouble. There is a big story in Politico.

0 Kudos
44 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: FB is in serious trouble


@ECEPROF wrote:

Hershy, Coke, and other big companies are cancelling their ads in FB. There are several series of cancellations. They are striking where it hurts most - revenue syream. Zukerburg is in serious trouble. There is a big story in Politico.


I don’t know if it’s big trouble but ad revenue is responsible for most of the earnings at FB and GO0G which is why I don’t own either because negative public opinion and govt Investigations can screw up their profits at any time and there is little they can do to mollify the Media onslaught that reduces advertising.

AAPL, AMZN, MSFT and Netflix are far less exposed to media attacks on their Business models.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

While FB has done pretty well the last several years, I have always thought of it as a "dumb" business model; get people sucked into communicating then steal their info. It is crazy what people will put up with to use FB.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: FB is in serious trouble


@Gary1952 wrote:

While FB has done pretty well the last several years, I have always thought of it as a "dumb" business model; get people sucked into communicating then steal their info. It is crazy what people will put up with to use FB.


       We have kids in that generation. It’s part of their lifestyle. I asked about sharing information after I told them about my garbage email account, old desktop phone info when required etc. and they just laughed. None of that is a problem for them or their friends as far as I can see. Keeping in “touch” constantly is part of their everyday existence. 
       
        The ads will continue to be aimed at them. Oldies are just hassling them, wait 10 years. Then it's their world to shape the way they want as it should be. Maybe Hershey and KO are old school. I don’t think my kids use those products much. My son bought FB at $17 and I bought it when the Zuckman was testifying in Congress. I think it’s part of the rotation now. Drug companies, investigations of office holders by the party currently out of power, big oil, ecommerce etc. The Fed has nothing else to do in peacetime.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

To me it makes sense for these big companies to NOT advertise on any SM platform.

The USA is completely politically polarized. America's "woke again" communist agitators have recently demonized cartoons, foods, sports, and other silly things as "racist".

So why spend advertisement money when all it will do is get half the country to hate your brand? 

Coke wants all people to drink its "the black water of yankee imperialism". Gillette wants everybody to shave with it's razorblades.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

 

230 shields from civil liability for censorship even of constitutionally protected free speech if done in good faith, but everybody knows the tech giants censor with their own political view in mind, so an investing dilemma

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble


@Gary1952 wrote:

While FB has done pretty well the last several years, I have always thought of it as a "dumb" business model; get people sucked into communicating then steal their info. It is crazy what people will put up with to use FB.


A friend of mine registered me in FB more than a decade ago. Guess what happened? A lot of people from all over the world, whom I never heard of, wanted to be my friend because my daughter-in-law was in there. I cancelled it in a week and never looked back. I used to have Whatasup also for two years because people from India used it to call me. I found that that is also steeling info. So, I removed the appt last year and never looked back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

I use WhatsApp because all my fellow countrymen use it. I hate it. I should remove it.

If I call or send a SMS text our national telecom will charge a small amount of money.

Many times the connection is horrible. Put me down as "not a fan".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

I could NEVER understand the success of FB. Zuckerberg is like the creepy neighbor we had as a kid that the parents told us to keep away from and not let our small animals near him either.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: FB is in serious trouble


@rhythmmethod wrote:

I could NEVER understand the success of FB. Zuckerberg is like the creepy neighbor we had as a kid that the parents told us to keep away from and not let our small animals near him either.


Reason for FB success is that ZB allows 2B people around the world to connect to each other for free as long as they don’t mind FB collecting their personal information and selling it to advertisers and marketers who will target them for ads. Great business model- FB collects trillions of pieces of information on 2B customers for nothing and sells it at a profit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

If people do not use some FB service how will people worldwide connect to each other? What is the other option - Twitter?

WhatsApp and Instagram are owned by fb.

My kids tell me all high school kids use FB messenger.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

 

@waffle 

"If people do not use some FB service how will people worldwide connect to each other? What is the other option?"

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Zoom, or Skype which is owned by Microsoft.

Fishingrod

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

Zoom and Google meet are video conferencing tools. All the people have to be on it at the same time. Very different than fb stuff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

Well, I never seen a Coke or Hershey's ad on facebook. I do notice that if I google something that I might buy, an ad for it shows up on FB the next time I'm there..

I find Facebook  entertaining and informative. There are privacy and scam issues. Sure. Also lots of useful info about local events and hobby stuff.  Someone lost a parrot the other day, reported in a local group, and it was found a few miles away re-caged, and returned within two days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble


@DocWu wrote:

Well, I never seen a Coke or Hershey's ad on facebook. I do notice that if I google something that I might buy, an ad for it shows up on FB the next time I'm there..

I find Facebook  entertaining and informative. There are privacy and scam issues. Sure. Also lots of useful info about local events and hobby stuff.  Someone lost a parrot the other day, reported in a local group, and it was found a few miles away re-caged, and returned within two days.


My annual COLA is announced in an FB group, not affiliated with the state of Tennessee. Instead, they can announce in the same old way in their website. Why not? This is no reason why people should use FB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: FB is in serious trouble

https://apple.news/ARyGQ_ExKQeCRO188Kb3H8Q

         Sorta looks like censorship by cash. I really don’t think the younger generation cares. But eventually political correctness may replace free speech with group think. Wait until books are burned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

Because most will do anything to make a buck. Even if it is morally wrong. The funny thing is that once they do they become the moral compass, in their own opinion.


@galeno wrote:

To me it makes sense for these big companies to NOT advertise on any SM platform.

The USA is completely politically polarized. America's "woke again" communist agitators have recently demonized cartoons, foods, sports, and other silly things as "racist".

So why spend advertisement money when all it will do is get half the country to hate your brand? 

Coke wants all people to drink its "the black water of yankee imperialism". Gillette wants everybody to shave with it's razorblades.


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

It is happening now (again).


@steelpony10 wrote:

https://apple.news/ARyGQ_ExKQeCRO188Kb3H8Q

         Sorta looks like censorship by cash. I really don’t think the younger generation cares. But eventually political correctness may replace free speech with group think. Wait until books (and movies) are burned.


 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: FB is in serious trouble

I had a FB account once. About 10 years ago I stripped everything I could out of it. It's still there but has little value to FB now for mining information. My teenagers never even got FB accounts. Seems that the younger generation has better tools available to them.

Capital
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: FB is in serious trouble

I am keeping a very close eye on FB.  I do not like what is occurring.  I have a fairly large holding.  My head is telling me to take some profits....my heart is telling me to stand still.  

Gabe

0 Kudos
Announcements