cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Buying gold?

Is investing in gold currently a good investment?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Buying gold?

Buying gold is NOT an investment. It's speculation.

Gold is a NON productive asset. Stocks, bonds, and farmland are productive assets.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thought we went through these discussions recently; maybe do a search to get up-to-date?  

Just a gentle suggestion.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

@galeno wrote:

Let me jot that down.

Oddly, I continually have to tell myself that investing in common stocks is not speculation.

Have I been misinformed?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Frank888 wrote:

Is investing in gold currently a good investment?

Frank ...  The only gold investment I have, and I have had it for several years, is Franco Nevada Corp. (FNV) so that is all I am talking about.  It has been a good investment for me but it is a little pricey today and I would not buy today unless you are buying for a very long time frame hold.  It is a royalty and stream company as it invests in mines in exchange for royalties and deliveries of gold.  Their portfolio is 70% gold, 9% silver, 9% platinum/palladium, 1% non-precious metals and 11% energy.  It's yield target is 1%.  Gold is an inflation and uncertainty hedge.  A weaker USD pushes up the price of gold.  FNV has a target of 3% to 5% of PV for me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Depends what you are buying it FOR.

To make money (i.e. capital appreciation) -- NO.

As a portfolio diversifier?  Maybe.  See this

I was uninterested in gold until interest rates hit zeros.  Long Treasuries have historically been the best and most reliable portfolio diversifiers.  But investing in them now?  No.  Probably not offering the same benefits until after the interest rates tick up.

So I'm slowly adding a bit of gold as a diversifier, but I have zero expectations of it being a reliably appreciating asset.  But that's not what I'm buying it for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Yes. Very misinformed. Don't worry. We'll set you straight.

@ignatz wrote:

@galeno wrote:

Let me jot that down.

Oddly, I continually have to tell myself that investing in common stocks is not speculation.

Have I been misinformed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

If you had asked that question a year ago the answer would have been, yes. Gold is a good diversifier, especially during a downturn. However, at the moment it looks rather over-bought to me. That's not to say it won't continue its upward momentum, it just means you won't have the cushion if markets start to recover and gold sells off.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I guess gold could be looked at as an expensive "currency" that hedges against USD devaluation.

It's a "currency" with a storage cost. E.g. the ER for GLD = 0.4%. 

It's really too late in the game to speculate / hedge with gold.

I'd consider hedged non-USD bonds or hedged RMB bonds instead. The advantage of the non-USD or RMB bonds vs gold is the bonds are a productive assets while the gold is not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I bought some krugerrands 39 years ago when I thought the sky was falling. My annual compounded gain has been 2.93%. If I adjust for inflation, my annual gain is .23%. I continue to hold them as a reminder that even disciplined investors have periods of temporary insanity. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Saltydog wrote:

I bought some krugerrands 39 years ago when I thought the sky was falling. My annual compounded gain has been 2.93%. If I adjust for inflation, my annual gain is .23%. I continue to hold them as a reminder that even disciplined investors have periods of temporary insanity. 

You bought in 1981 ... didn’t gold climb to a ridiculous, all-time (inflation adjusted) high around then? You’re lucky that your CAGR is even positive.

0 Kudos
Announcements