cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Performance Chasing Large Growth Funds

Intruder - are you saying there isn’t a long term average return for the S&P?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Slooow wrote:

Intruder - are you saying there isn’t a long term average return for the S&P

Its the average for what ever period you choose. Pick any period you like.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Slooow wrote:

Maybe that they if you assess that the S&P long term average is around 10% - nominal, then....it has to average out.  If it has been higher for a long period, expect it to be lower - i.e. revert to the mean.  I would expect this if I held the S&P.  Can’t be unhappy averaging 10% nominal over the long haul. 

I always think where can money be going now? Tons of money can’t be spent worldwide. Bonds? It will take 24-35 years at the present rates to make my current balance. CD’s or money markets? I made .13 last month on cash. Alternative investments like buying real estate with a low rate lone? We’re down to one residence now. My guess is spending to make up for a lost 1.5 years along with low rates will drive earnings and employment up until the next unknown. It seems to be the only game at this time with a chance to beat our personal inflation rate.

The S&P index does hold some of the best companies in the world. Amateurs and professionals seldom can beat it. If we have disaster after disaster the next 10 years like 1999-2010 it doesn’t matter. I’ll be one of the spenders by the way, times a wastin. 

I’ve been a growth chaser since McDonalds and Sam moved into the big city and computers were as large as my house and they advertised for key punch operators. Growth never ends it just pauses to catch it’s breath.       

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Here's some performance chasing that matters:

A poster asked me off-forum: "So ... is Tiz the Law (race horse) the real deal? Getting my family  organized for our annual bets!"

My reply:

YES.  Tiz is the real-deal horse.

But the #17 post in the draw is not encouraging.  No horse from that position has won from way out there.  Good news is the two top competitors are out there beside him.  I had $50 on Tiz for the travers...and won.  Also, payout odds will be very poor, as Derby (due Covid) is flip-flopped with Belmont Stakes, which Tiz already won, so betters know he is a good horse.

Disclosure...I am also biased.

Tiz The Law is a local Saratoga horse...my wife and I have been inside the barn  (6 miles from us) where he was born.  Also, we have been on the owners farm outside Saratoga (Sackatoga Stables).  My wife was bitten on the arm by special "peoples horse" called Funnycide.  I have a friend who is on the ownership team of Tiz.

Thus I will bet on Tiz for the Ky Derby.

I made a mistake yesterday in my favor.  I play about 3 races a day (my selections)  on-line during saratoga meet.  I intended to bet a "3-horse exacta box" (meaning any 2 of the horses must finish 1-2).  Race ran, and it appeared I won.  However, the keyboard was set on an earlier trifecta box bet (meaning all three horses must finish 1-2-3).  They did.  Instead of winning $52, I actually won $278.  Maybe this is a good omen for Tiz-the Law.  Race on TV, about 7pm.

Have fun Saturday.

R48

0 Kudos
Announcements