cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUYS--SELLS--WHY; JULY 2020

@outandabout wrote:

I believe it was you (R48) that said. "I myself have stopped posting on that thread, because it got too pejorative and uncivil to some of us, often being criticized about what we are doing, and when."

Best of luck, R48.

Although I have posted every trade I have made, in real-time, over the past five years, I have refrained from posting in any of the B/S/W threads not only for the reason r48 states, but also, if I would have, it might appear I condone the poor investment strategy of trading monthly/weekly/daily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@atom wrote:

Will add to ARTSX on Monday.  Haven't added to that fund since my initial investments in 2013, partly because Andy Stephens retired in 2014.  And  ARTSX was so-so in performance for a couple of years, but since 2017 performance has been stronger, and it reopened to new investors earlier this year.  

Three managers with >10 years and >$1m in the fund is fairly impressive, on top of good results of course.

@rhythmmethod I think I may follow you in on this one with foothold, in case it closes (which it definitely will). Good SC funds are rare and it wouldn't hurt to have a backup, since I have only one at the moment. For the life of me, though, I can't understand why they own the New York Times. The only thing growing there is lice.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

De-risking continued: Placed an order to sell remaining shares of PIGIX (Pimco invest grade credit bond) with intention of purchasing VBILX (VG Interm-term Bond Indx). No longer interested in owning derivatives and swaps cause I don’t understand them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Working off some cash, largely due to some personal changes which I'll post on a separate thread. Bot more D (Dominion Resources) on the drop/drama. It's my local utility and has been very good to me. Also added to my PIMIX stash and more BSV (Vanguard Short Term Bond ETF). I still don't trust this rally but am prepared for it to take off more. But better prepared for it to drop like a lead balloon. Stay well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:
I still don't trust this rally but am prepared for it to take off more. But better prepared for it to drop like a lead balloon.

FPACX’s Steve Romick doesn’t trust it either. He’s increased his shorts.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/steven-romick-ups-short-selling-223019042.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

@rhythmmethod wrote:
I still don't trust this rally but am prepared for it to take off more. But better prepared for it to drop like a lead balloon.

FPACX’s Steve Romick doesn’t trust it either. He’s increased his shorts.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/steven-romick-ups-short-selling-223019042.html

Yeah, nothing makes sense to me with this market. There are some shorts walking around that are pretty stinky! HAHA! Thanks for the link.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Don't put much confidence in Romick; he's been pessimistic for years and is a perpetual holder of cash.  I know;  I've stuck with him for too many years and returns have suffered due to his flawed past judgment:  https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/fpacx/performance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Some quarterly rebalancing.

Sold: CCSMX, small/mid growth, 31% quarterly gain, but volatile as expected. Selling high and reducing volatility.

Buy: Started a position in SWAN, Amplify’s ETF that showed its effectiveness since inception. I consider it an aggressive part of my bond sleeve, with 90% Treasuries plus 10% SPY Leaps. Captures 60% of SPY upside with 20% downside. Followed this fund for a while, impressed with manager in a podcast I took in at SA. We’ll see how it goes moving forward, especially if the market decides to go risk-off.

Rick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Bought more shares in MDU and WTRG.  Sold some shares of RDS.B.

Copie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Sold 50% of D,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I bought back my OCT 85 D calls, making $1.65, and I may expand my D position tomorrow, especially if D sells off more. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Purchase a small position in AIO, the Allianz Artificial Intelligence & Technology Fund, a half year old fund with is largely ignored and now sells at a 12% discount.  Bought at $20.12.  However, it is a rather odd AI and technology fund in that only about 20% of the fund is technology equity and almost half of the portfolio is convertibles.  Among the 10 largest positions are United Health and Anthem.  Not sure I see the rationale for the wide range of positions.  

Reading under the Portfolio Management Strategies section of the prospectus provides some insight into their strategy: "Under normal market conditions, the Fund will seek to achieve its investment objective by investing across the capital structure in companies across a broad range of industries and technologies positioned to benefit from the evolution and disruptive power of artificial intelligence and other new technologies. The Fund considers artificial intelligence to mean the use of systems or other technologies able to either perform tasks that normally involve human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition and decision-making, or leverage data-driven insights to deliver new solutions. The portfolio managers believe that innovative companies in any sector [my emphasis that are able to leverage artificial intelligence or other new technologies to transform their businesses will be well positioned to gain market share, outperform industry peers and create superior shareholder value over time."  And the use of convertibles should provide some protection in down markets.

This is a rather different approach from the two technology CEFs I ready hold: BST and BSTZ.  We'll see how well the AIO strategy works, especially in controlling risk but also in the broad interpretation of AI.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Bought 15 shares QQQ for my tiny Roth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Added to my position in PKBK (Parke Bancorp), a small bank (1.6 billion) primarily in New Jersey, which has sold off from about $22. Now just over $13.  Yields 4.6%.  Strong organic growth, and  good management which should get it through COVID times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Added some uninvested cash to VCORX - Vanguard Core Bond.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@outandabout wrote:

Glad to see you (R48) taking the BUY-SELLS-Why over. I've always been hesitant to post on this tread as it seems that posting one's buys or sells can come back to bite the posters. Richard did a fine job but for the time being has departed. There are a good number of individuals here on M* that do not post their trades for various reasons and I'm one. I've never laughed at any investor that posted their buy/sell position on this forum, but many times I've seen where it trickles down to other forums and the trolls take advantage of the information.

JMHO. It's still just internet and we all could find another harbor if we so chose.

I believe it was you that said. "I myself have stopped posting on that thread, because it got too pejorative and uncivil to some of us, often being criticized about what we are doing, and when."

Best of luck, R48.

Thanks for your support, outandabout.

The long-term, old-timers on the forums will recall that it was me who created and started this continuous thread, at least a decade ago.  Glad to see it continuing.  I also note the Fidelity Investments Forum (not the M* one) has the same continuous thread.

OK folks, the message of posters seems clear.  This thread was established for investors to show actual trades, in real time, briefly, not only for the timing aspect, but I value greatly what funds (or stocks) other posters are actually buying.  I get many fund ideas from this info.  So, please do not bring contentious posts, or anti-timing posts, or individual criticism.  This is not censoring, simply take it elsewhere onto other threads, where it belongs.

Thanks...

R48...(inandabout)

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

As an old timer on this discussion group, I am glad to see it continue. 

I, too, have found it useful to see what others have bought or sold and their brief reasons for doing so.

It has enabled me to further research purchases of which I had not been aware,

Gene

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Moved a large sum of cash in my Vanguard IRA into VBIRX. This is my “cash sub” and will be deployed elsewhere over the next month or so.

I’m using the riskier FXNAX in my Fido IRA. Unlike VBIRX, a “round trip” into/from FXNAX will trigger a warning and two will get me blocked, so I need to be careful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@chang wrote:

Moved a large sum of cash in my Vanguard IRA into VBIRX. This is my “cash sub” and will be deployed elsewhere over the next month or so.

I’m using the riskier FXNAX in my Fido IRA. Unlike VBIRX, a “round trip” into/from FXNAX will trigger a warning and two will get me blocked, so I need to be careful.

I too moved some cash today into VBIRX only because I have zero VBIRX and more than 10% in VUSFX.  May be it is a topic for a different thread but would love to get your thoughts on Gold - yield about the same as Govt bonds.   I was a Gold snub but starting to question my attitude given the current yields.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Anitya Regret I have no useful knowledge or insight on gold. Never owned it (except for a few coins in the collection). I’ve always thought it was not a necessary or effective investment tool. One of the things that always annoyed me about IVWIX.

@richardsok trades PMs routinely, and @yogibearbull has commented on gold miners. You might try them!

0 Kudos
Announcements