cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

BUYS--SELLS--WHY; JULY 2020

Report your stock or fund buys and sells, and brief reason why, on this continuous monthly thread.  Be brief, and please show symbol with descriptive stock or fund name.  Keep question or clarification requests short.  If discussions get detailed, please take to another separate thread post.  I trust all will be civil.  And a thank you to poster richardsok, who maintained this monthly thread for a considerable period...he's on sabbatical.

R48

91 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUYS--SELLS--WHY; JULY 2020

bump...to get above June thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Selling VMVFX Vanguard Global Minimum Volatility Fund today and going to invest in VLAAX Value Line Asset Allocation Investor & PHSKX Virtus KAR Mid-Cap Growth A (2:1 ratio).

Why - VMVFX didn't provide much safety in recent downfall, VLAAX has been highly talked about on this board - can't get into PRWCX. PHSKX - I have small-cap version and is doing very well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@retiredat48 wrote:

bump...to get above June thread.

ditto...bump

Kingsman...thanks for adding names to fund symbols.  Folks, this makes it easier for everyone.

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Exchanging some ($300k) of my PFORX - PIMCO International Bond Institutional for more Loomis Sayles Core Plus

Going from overweight Foreign Bonds to equal weight. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold some muni MM and bought some IT bond index (VBILX).  Plan to repeat this several times to avoid  making the switch on one single day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Exchanged 25% of currently held VPMAX (VG Primecap) for FOCKX (Fidelity OTC) to begin walkIng away from underperforming Primecap.

Exchanged 100% of VOYA Bond fund (no OEF mutual fund equivalent in 457b acct) for a VG total bond equivalent in 457b acct.  Off loading bond risk to use bonds as ballast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Aha, the BSW thread moved back over here .....

Order in to add to FXNAX in my Fido IRA with new rollover money.

FXNAX (roughly equivalent to VBTLX) is my “go to” bond fund at Fido. (At Vanguard I use VBILX, which is I/T only, but performance-wise similar to FXNAX or VBTLX.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sold some Wells Fargo (WFC) yesterday that had higher cost basis, to get capital losses for tax purposes. But still holding ~1800 shares Wells Fargo, long term I think they will turn things around. Also sold entire position HSBC bank (HSBC), just frustrated with their performance and recent dividend cut (mandated by British govt.). Will redeploy that money to VIAAX. 

Win
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Placed an order for VBILX (VG Interm-term Bond Index) and VBIRX (VG short-term Bond Index) to put mmkt funds to work in the former and slight increase in cash-like vehicle in latter. Also placed an entry order for VLAIX (Value Line Asset Allocation) - to add a Growth & FI allocation fund that’s been on my watch list.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I'm reporting several trades made in the last week or so:

Added to my ARTYX (Artisan Developing World), which is on fire (up 22% last year and 37% this year) and run by a superb PM, Lewis Kaufman, while selling two of my other Artisan funds, ARTGX (Artisan Global Value) which has had poor performance for several years and ARTQX (Artisan Mid-Cap Value) which also has had mediocre recent performance. Both of these exit trades should have been made earlier.  May put more in ARTYX.   

I'm been trading in and out of HFC (Hollyfrontier), a  small refiner which has been volatile, by trading its covered calls.  Underlying stock has a 5% dividend. Currently I have AUG $32. strikes which I sold for $1.80 on June 25 and have now drifted down to under a dollar.  May be time to buy them back, as HFC is now under $28.  

Took a starter position in PKBK (Parke Bancorp), which is a small (1.6 billion assets) New Jersey bank which is up 13% since I bought it in late June.  A banking friend, familiar with the bank, had recommended it to me, and upon investigation the price in late June looked like a good entry point. Wish I had bought more.

I've been continuing the sale of covered calls on a number of stocks I own, today a 20 strike NOV call on CNP for $1.70 when the stock was at $19.60+.  Market feels like it is floating on ether, but yet doesn't seem to want to go down, at least not yet.  Good time to take advantage of just out-of-the-money covered calls. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

R48 What funds/ETF's would you recommend for International Stock exposure? Thanks.

DC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Beside the ARTYX I also like the WCMRX.  FWWFX has not done too badly and if you are at FIDO there are no mins in to start or add.  Then the added bonus of NO ST trading fees either.  FIDO has not capitulated to providing slices on the main platform as of yet.  But if you are good with the apps and cell phone tech they let you trade them on your phone.  O/E mutual funds then still have the advantages of being able to sell in fractional shares if you want to fade the markets in the on going volatility.  The old stalwart MGGPX which is more a global fund but a strong performer.  It's close cousin MIGPX .  FEMKX for emerging markets.  Most of the best performing "GLOBAL" funds these days are heavily overweight US tech names.  Up until recently the strong US dollar has made it difficult for managers in purer international fund management to show strong returns. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

On 7/2 I added 70 shares of EVRG vs the smoke signals and where there is arbitrage smoke there is often an ensuing fire.  Would AQN want to add to their oh so American, Liberty Utilities ?   So long .. WGL, AGAAF, Valener, and Vectren we hardly knew you.  But they did go away with a nice pop.  EVRG already had a nice pop on the Westar / Great Plains merger.  I sold 35 shares of EXC for a 29% gain to partially finance the new tranche of EVRG.   Shameless whale chasing speculation.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@DC415 wrote:

R48 What funds/ETF's would you recommend for International Stock exposure? Thanks.

DC

Need to be brief on this thread.

So briefly, DC, for the past year, I have been withdrawing from Int'l exposure...especially when COVID hit...I started in late January selling some things.  Int'l did relatively poorly last decade; that's not to say they might be the right place  going forward.  Since I'm retired I tilt to yield as a consideration.

For broad int'l exposure, there are Vanguard and ishare ETFs, or funds such as VWIGX Vangd Intl Growth.  For emerging markets, Vanguards VEIEX...or similar EEM.  Note these tend to hold a lot of China exposure.

For some holdings that are STRATEGICALLY still in my portfolio, consider:

--VSS, Vanguard Int'l Small Cap (ex USA) Fund...broad based small cap holdings, may provide good growth, with yield of about 3%.while you wait.

--ECON, Columbia EM Consumer Fund...relies more on internal generic growth of EM, versus shipping oil/commodities abroad.

--MAPIX, Matthews Asia Div.Growth Fund...niche focus on China/Asea with yield of 2.2%

--TIBIX, Thornberg Income Builder Fund...tries to grow dividend each year...heavy European Tilt.  Yield: 4.7%--acts as a bond fund substitute for me.

--ARTYX Artisan Developing World Investor Fund...an eclectic fund that tries to pick the best stocks, from the world.  For a momentum player, look at chart...zooming upward.  Good set of stock holdings for COVID.  Perhaps riskiest.  For more aggressive types of investors.

If I add to international, it will be in Funds/ETFs that are moving upward the best...showing best strength.

Good day DC...hope this helps.

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Thanks R48, greatly appreciate it. I am retired, too. What are your favorite Bond funds for buy and hold?

DC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

What did the 4th qtr of 2018 show us about bond FUNDS.  Bond FUNDs are not bonds.  Bond funds have no stated maturity, YTW, YTC or YTsale.  With inflation already setting in in Food ...Nice pop last week on CAG!... , gold moving on the 2011 peak, and the .TNX with a 0.6%  handle, how much more room is there for bond funds to be validly back tested.   Most BBB+ and lower corporate bonds are now relegated to junk status.  The moral hazard debate as to how to calculate the bailouts of the High SALT state's most profligate public pension funds  lies straight ahead.  Will the bailouts be as against the gross amounts of under fundings or will there be per capita populations calculations.  A State with less tha 2 million with a $6 Billion under funding may have a per capita under funding that is 1.7 times that of Illinois with their17 million for their $25 billion.  Madame Death warned as to the questionable seniority of Muni debt over unfunded pension obligations 10 years ago.  Maybe like Bill gross who has called the top in the bond markets 4 or five time in the last 5 years she was just early.  

Classic market theory has it that as interest rates rise stocks AND bonds tend to decline in value.  The Fed will always be able to control the Short end of the end curve but the Medium and long term rates maybe not.  The Euro is rising and the .DXY is falling.  Gold will soon knock out the 2011 peak.  Can rates still go lower if gold goes to $2400? 

In this final chapter, US Bank CDs that are already offering higher rates than other US Gov't treasuries, GSEs, or no guarantee on "THE BUCK" money market accounts are the last refuge for starting the building of a bond ladder of bonds.  Maybe there is a slight chance that 15 year to 30 year rates could still drop some more but that is getting to be a very speculative  outlook.  In the end unless your bonds are in a Roth you are taking a beating on the 100% taxability of interest.  Where are the capital gains going to come from, from here in bonds?  

Consider bar belling with premium rate special offer CDs (MARCUS) and some +/-5% yielding TBTF Bank preferreds.  GS and MS likely to be least affected by weakening revenues.  The other thing we know is that as rates start to rise and continue rising the banks come alive, prosper, and produce stronger stock prices. There are the preferreds of some other banks that have less than 18 months to call and sell below par.  Those can offer LT cap gains if they have more than 12 months left to their call dates.   Bank preferreds pay tax advantaged dividends.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Glad to see you taking the BUY-SELLS-Why over. I've always been hesitant to post on this tread as it seems that posting one's buys or sells can come back to bite the posters. Richard did a fine job but for the time being has departed. There are a good number of individuals here on M* that do not post their trades for various reasons and I'm one. I've never laughed at any investor that posted their buy/sell position on this forum, but many times I've seen where it trickles down to other forums and the trolls take advantage of the information.

JMHO. It's still just internet and we all could find another harbor if we so chose.

I believe it was you that said. "I myself have stopped posting on that thread, because it got too pejorative and uncivil to some of us, often being criticized about what we are doing, and when."

Best of luck, R48.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Added to VUG and started position in IGV.  Both added to increase growth equities.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

R48 referred to ARTYX as a momentum play.  It may be, but it has also been a very solid fund for the past 5 years of its existence, and Lewis Kaufman had a very good record at Thornberg, his prior location.  M* considers ARTYX as a diversified emerging markets fund, but Kaufman also invests in companies which do business in emerging markets.

Will add to ARTSX on Monday.  Haven't added to that fund since my initial investments in 2013, partly because Andy Stephens retired in 2014.  And  ARTSX was so-so in performance for a couple of years, but since 2017 performance has been stronger, and it reopened to new investors earlier this year.  

0 Kudos
Announcements