cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Re: BUYS--SELLS--WHY; JULY 2020

Hard to figure out the short-term future of Dominion stock -- with the impending dividend cut --  so on my position I sold January 2021 80 strike calls for $3.70.  It was either doing this or selling the stock, which closed at about $75.  I doubt that D can hold at its current level, but I decided I'd like to have it for the future, possibly picking up the $3.70 along the with and the dividend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

With sold RDS.B shares bought DUK, NEE and SO. Did Roth conversion on rest of WBA(Walgreen) at $38.77.  Need to leave off that last cup of coffee in morning! :)

Copie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Bought some KO @$44.15.  As I've mentioned before, $45 per share is kind of my dividing line, for no particular reason other than anything over that, I feel like I'm paying too much.  

Reopened a position in PONAX, and have buy instructions to add shares.  Now that I've seen how the fund handles adversity, I am more comfortable holding it.  

In my Fidelity account, I added some money into FCONX, an ultrashort bond fund.  I know it doesn't pay much, but I wanted a more conservative bond fund to balance out PONAX and, to a degree, my Franklin Income fund.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Looks like someone is letting a little helium out of the market. Doing some very light watering of existing holdings. Adding to - VDIGX (Vanguard Div Growth), TRBCX (TRP Blu Chip), WFC (Wells Fargo), D (Dom Res). -BTD - (if you don't know, you don't know) Stay well, rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Moved funds from mmkt to VBIRX; sold slice of VCIT due to overlap with VBILX, a position with less correlation to current holdings in VDADX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@copie wrote:

With sold RDS.B shares bought DUK, NEE and SO. Did Roth conversion on rest of WBA(Walgreen) at $38.77.  Need to leave off that last cup of coffee in morning! :)

Copie

Why are you throwing in the towel on RDS if I may ask?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Added to my PKBK position as it bounced around today; my cost basis is still above current value by about 4%.  Will pick up more if it drops futher. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Two happiest investors today. Whoever bought all my D shares and myself that sold them. :)

Copie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Anitya,

Shell matched my 401 with them with shares of stock. I still have a lot left, but since I had zero cost in them and at my age figured it was best to sell some. Dividends from DUK and SO will be better for me then future dividends and growth from Shell.  (IMO)

Copie

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Dipped back in and bought a little more KO @43.89. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Bought back my 32 strike HFC calls for $.45, having sold them for $1.81 two weeks ago, and bought a little more HFC, as it sold off about 5% today.  HollyFrontier -- small independent refiner -- has been  drifting downward; my calls have been a bit of a cushion. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Placed an order to buy small slice of VLAIX in a T-IRA using funds from sale of VCIT yesterday.

added: harvested gains from VIG, which was purchased during March madness.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rhythmmethod wrote:

Looks like someone is letting a little helium out of the market. Doing some very light watering of existing holdings. Adding to - VDIGX (Vanguard Div Growth), TRBCX (TRP Blu Chip), WFC (Wells Fargo), D (Dom Res). -BTD - (if you don't know, you don't know) Stay well, rm

It is so much easier to understand quickly, these brief posts, when the poster includes the name of the stock/fund, after the fund or stock symbol.  Helps the readership community.  Thanks rm.

R48

Frequent Contributor

Order in to buy FXNAX (Fido U.S. Bond) in my IRA today, using pension rollover money. This fund is essentially the same as VG Total Bond Market VBTLX / BND. Bonds fell Friday, and stock futures are up, so it seems like as good a day as any to buy.

With yields so low and bond prices having run up so high, it's not easy to buy a medium/long duration bond fund. But it's not easy to buy equities either (although some people are obviously buying). FXNAX is about 1/2 Treasuries and 1/4 Agency, so if stocks tank it should keep its head well above water. If stocks melt up (vaccine?) then it will drop, but my portfolio as a whole will be fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Am selling half of my SFGIX (Seafarer Overseas...) and am putting half of those funds into MIOPX (Morgan Stanley International Opportunities) which I can't find much detail about (no M* report) but which has grown by about 33% in the two years I've held my initial position. Company literature that I have is not that informative.  It is listed as a Foreign Large Growth fund.  The other half is going into ARTYX (Artisan Developing World) which has increased more than 33% just this year.  That fund is a favorite of mine, watched over by Lewis Kaufman.  ARTYX is a Diversified Emerging Markets fund, concentrated portfolio,  which invests in U.S. and other developed companies doing business in that part of the world as well as emerging market stocks.

SFGIX I've held for a long time -- for as long as 7 years, with no new money since 2016.  Initially it did well, but in recent years performance has really tailed off.  I may exit the whole position.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Sold USMV (iShares Edge MSCI Min Vol USA ETF) - Mar performance dismal and recovery same.

Bought QQQ (Invesco QQQ Trust)  - recovered fast after the downfall in Mar 2020. My mutual funds short in these TOP technology companies. Plan to build if market goes down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Created my own hedge(d) fund of sorts.  Bought equal amounts of:

SWAN    Amplify BlackSwan Growth & Treasury Core ETF

DRSK     Aptus Defined Risk ETF

PHDG     Invesco S&P 500 Downside Hedged ETF 

TAIL       Cambria Tail Risk ETF 

I would like to see how this little mixture holds up in choppy weather. 

Highlighted
Explorer ○

looks to me that 50/50 swan and drsk does better:
https://ishort.ink/v8JC
(PV link)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

@linter wrote:
looks to me that 50/50 swan and drsk does better:
https://ishort.ink/v8JC
(PV link)

Linter, thanks for looking into this and also for the Backtesting link.   Your new allocation does have a higher correlation to the S&P 500.   With such a brief history (these are newer ETFs), its tough to be certain about expectations.   But I'll have some fun watching.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Well, WFC got the wind knocked out of it! As usual I'm a sucker for the down and out. I added a little @23.71. I always figure when a holding I have gets it's a$$ kicked I'll pick up a little, (assuming everything is over-reaction) lower my CB and decide what to do with it later. Also @chang (nice puppy!) I opened PRWAX (TRP New America Growth) today. Still holding LOTS of dry powder. Stay well. rm

0 Kudos
Announcements