cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

BUYS--SELLS--WHY: AUGUST 2020

Report your stock or fund buys and sells, and brief reason why, on this continuous monthly thread.  Be brief, and please show symbol with descriptive stock or fund name.  Keep question or clarification requests short.  If discussions get detailed, please take to another separate thread post.  I trust all will be civil.  And a thank you to poster richardsok, who maintained this monthly thread for a considerable period...he's on sabbatical.

R48

23 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: BUYS--SELLS--WHY: AUGUST 2020

Bump...for visibility of thread.

R48...in sunshine, wind speed about 15 mph, coastal Stuart/Port Saint Lucie, FL. ...watching hurricane just east of me.  Weather Channels are quite "hair-on-fire" reporters these days. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

First real rebalance of my portfolio on Friday since March. I still have a little cash to allocate on Monday. 

My reasoning was that it is "time" to return to my target allocation after letting the ponies run for a while.

fork in the road.jpg

While I do not believe that the 1929 scenario is likely at this point, I do have to recognize the considerable uncertainty surrounding the future economic impact of the COVID pandemic. 

Holiday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Holiday...do you have some SPECIFIC BUYS OR SELLS, to share with us??  Funds or stocks.

TIA

R48

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Wow, love that graph/chart. Now given the 2020 start point seems half way between the 1929 and 2009 starts in the first part of the chart, should we guess the net result is going to be neither bullish nor bearish and instead a 'boring' flat line!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Bought MSFT at $214.15 share for growth side. Hold your money since most of time when I buy something it goes lower that day! :)

Copie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Sold all my VMNVX (Vanguard Global Minimum Volatility Fund) . . . it didn't seem to live up to its name during March downturn. Reallocating some to BND (Vanguard Total Bond ETF) to inch closer to my desired AA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@retiredat48 wrote:

Holiday...do you have some SPECIFIC BUYS OR SELLS, to share with us??  Funds or stocks.

TIA

R48

Hi R48,

I rebalanced my portfolio back to my target allocation which involved everything except my bond and CD ladders.

Of course, it involved a lot of buying and selling but there were no new positions or exits from old ones. I thought it might be helpful for those who tactically rebalance like myself.  I rebalanced in March but over-allocated to stock positions then. It was time for me to get back to my target allocation so I stated why I thought that it was.

I may enter new positions this week.  I withheld a little extra cash. Not sure yet if it will go back into defensive's or into new cyclical positions. I am a sector investor and it may be time to tilt some. Not convinced either way yet.

I do apologize if I violated the spirit of the thread.

Thank you

Holiday

Highlighted
Explorer ○

July 9th - bought $47.5K IAU

July 31st - worth $51.5K - sold $17.5K, booked $3500 profit into VUBFX (my cash sub), kept $34K in IAU and bought $14K SLV.  

Is this investing?  No, it is gambling (better odds than Vegas).

Looking to wash and repeat, but no guarantees of anything except a probable future loss in just letting this run forever without daily scrutiny.  Am willing to take short term smaller profits to offset any future losses.  Will sell immediately if prices drop steadily over a few days, and look to buy back at a lower price.  That is the plan, until I get hit in the mouth (per Mike Tyson).

I'll keep you advised if any changes.  Balance of portfolio is all in assorted bond funds. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sold EPD - was waiting till after the XD date on 7/31. Likewise I will sell MMP this week on or after its XD date 8/6. I wanted the quarterly divs before cutting loose these turds.

Proceeds still TBD but a strong candidate is to add to SCHD in order to maintain an income element. Not necessarily in a hurry, although timing the market has been a fool’s game lately. God only knows what’s powering the Nasdaq upward.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold about 15% of my PRWCX and put it into VLAIX.  The two funds seem to perform about equally well, and their holdings are somewhat complementary.  At 40% of my total portfolio, I wanted to cut back on PRWCX, just in case Giroux loses his touch, though it is still my biggest holding by far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Added a very small bit this AM to HON on diplet. Still deciding what to do with D (Dom Resources).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold 25% of  PARWX - Parnassus Endeavor 

It moved from large blend to large value. It has been underperforming this year. it is ranked 73% percentile in its Large Blend/ Large Value category by M*. Though it did well last year.

Not sure what to replace it by.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Monday, after some big moves the previous week, we took profits from AAPL, MA, V, CRM, FB, all seen as fairly valued or a little pricey. Added to MSFT and will add to AMZN, seen as slightly under valued if an opportunity presents itself. The majority of gains went to VOT. All part of the plan to back out of individual stocks significantly, maybe completely, in 4+ years when markets are humming again. 🥳

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Sold Silver (SLV) on the open @ $25.12 for a 90% gain.

SLV buy.JPGSLV sold.JPG

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sold all my MMP on this morning’s unexpected pop on the XD date.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Exchanged some AAPL for MSFT due to valuations of each. Caveat is that every time I've trimmed AAPL, I've regretted it. At least I'm consistent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Adding to VGHAX (HC) on today’s weakness in VHT.

Also adding to FSMEX on today’s weakness in IHI.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

For those CEF type investors who are income oriented and use dividend [or distributions] + CapGains, AVK has been a winner for quite a while now....

My current data shows the following:

....Current "abbreviated" analysis data [COB Friday] on AVK [sole opinion]:

1... Report Card Grade: 100 [0-100 rating system]

Power Rating: 100 [must be higher than the RptCard grade for any further buy consideration]

2... Star Rating: Positive: 10star [0-10star reference with 10 being the max]
... !3-wk Star Rating: Positive 10.00 stars

3.. MktPrc: 13.91 [COB Friday]
-Analysis Score for MktPrc/NAV past week: 371 [>300 required for positive week]
-Last average weeks market activity on MktPrc: +0.13 [investors have been Buying]
-Discount: -1.13 Very Positive for current investors...
-What are investors doing last week: +0.04 [investors buying]

4... Distribution [not a dividend]: 10.11% for new buyers [$0.1172/Month ... $1.40652/Yr] ... x-div 8/13 ... Pay 8/31
...Last distribution was the same as usual
...Next distribution announcement expected approximately 9/4

5... Last Insider buying activity: 6/13/19 4,600sh @ 14.24

6... Rf [risk factor for holding in one's portfolio]: Positive +0.948 [+0 to + 0.990 range for analysis evaluation]

7.. NAV: 15.66 [COB Friday] ... Undervalued
-Change in NAV last week: +$0.13
-Change in Intrinsic Value [COB Friday]: +$0.14
-Change in NAV since 3/20: +$8.04 [+$4.14 required]

8... Total analysis numb3rs: 2050/3137 [requirement is 1000/1400 for normal trading range and >2000/2500 for current buying activity]

9... Trend [looking forward]: +241 [+160 minimum required]

... Disclosure: Some of us currently hold a Phase #3 position [6% - 8% of total portfolio] position in AVK....

One "single opinion" of the many I am sure....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

What did you buy or sell?

0 Kudos
Announcements