cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Money in Excel

1. if you dont need the entire suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Access & Publisher (last two are PC only)) as well as Skype and 1TB OneDrive cloud storage or need it for an Apple Mac, then go for Office Home & Student. it just has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

when i bought Office 2013 H&S for my two computers back in 2014, it was about $140 each. it's now $150 on the microsoft.com site. you will get software updates via Windows Updates, but you will not get newer functionality as future versions are released; you have to buy newer versions.  my 2013 version is sufficient for what i need at home.

Other alternatives:

• buy Office Home & Student online starting w/ version 2007 up to 2019. prices range from $20-$40 per PC license - less expensive than $140/each!! (websearch for <<office "home and student" 2019>> - dont include the brackets).
  • get Libre Office or "Apache Open OFFICE PRO Edition" brand for free or a low price.
  • use Microsoft's Office on the web - you run the apps in your browser. you need a Microsoft.com account, but it's all free. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Sway, Outlook, People, Calendar, OneDrive, Forms, Skype).

2. if you want cloud storage, you might want to check out http://iDrive.com. 5GB free, then 1TB for about $70/year (first year is $52). if you switch from a competitor (*), 5TB for $7 first year!!)

it's one of the better services of all the cloud services i checked out.

(* Competing services include Carbonite, Mozy, CrashPlan, Backblaze, SOS Online Backup, Dropbox and Google Backup and Sync)

- - - - - - - - - -
peace, love, enlightenment and energy!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@erperez wrote:

1. if you dont need the entire suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Access & Publisher (last two are PC only)) as well as Skype and 1TB OneDrive cloud storage or need it for an Apple Mac, then go for Office Home & Student. it just has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

when i bought Office 2013 H&S for my two computers back in 2014, it was about $140 each. it's now $150 on the microsoft.com site. you will get software updates via Windows Updates, but you will not get newer functionality as future versions are released; you have to buy newer versions.  my 2013 version is sufficient for what i need at home.

Other alternatives:

• buy Office Home & Student online starting w/ version 2007 up to 2019. prices range from $20-$40 per PC license - less expensive than $140/each!! (websearch for <<office "home and student" 2019>> - dont include the brackets).
  • get Libre Office or "Apache Open OFFICE PRO Edition" brand for free or a low price.
  • use Microsoft's Office on the web - you run the apps in your browser. you need a Microsoft.com account, but it's all free. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Sway, Outlook, People, Calendar, OneDrive, Forms, Skype).

2. if you want cloud storage, you might want to check out http://iDrive.com. 5GB free, then 1TB for about $70/year (first year is $52). if you switch from a competitor (*), 5TB for $7 first year!!)

it's one of the better services of all the cloud services i checked out.

(* Competing services include Carbonite, Mozy, CrashPlan, Backblaze, SOS Online Backup, Dropbox and Google Backup and Sync)

I used to have an account in IDRIVE and sync it with my hard drive several years ago. I bought my 5 TB hard drive for $95 one day on sale in Office Max and discontinued my IDRIVE account. I used to have an account with Adrive also. You also get 15 GB free in Google excluding your music and photos storage. I hardly use even this one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

@ECEPROF wrote:

I used to have an account in IDRIVE and sync it with my hard drive several years ago. I bought my 5 TB hard drive for $95 one day on sale in Office Max and discontinued my IDRIVE account. I used to have an account with Adrive also. You also get 15 GB free in Google excluding your music and photos storage. I hardly use even this one.

yep, external drives are so inexpensive compared to a few years ago, and def compared to 10 yrs ago.

however, the rule of thumb i've read and apply - have three copies of data in three different locations.

for me, 1) original folders on my computer, 2) external drive sync'd every 30 mins (for small files) and daly at 2am (for larger files), and 3) iDrive sync'd every day at 6am.  that way, if my house burns down or gets wiped out by a tornado here in dallas, iDrive has a copy.  plus, they can mail you an external drive w/ all your data on it (assuming it'll fit on the ext drive).

$70/yr is inexpensive insurance in my financial book.

- - - - - - - - - -
peace, love, enlightenment and energy!
0 Kudos
Announcements