Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Keeping Personal Information Safe

Keeping Your Personal Information Safe - Fidelity webcast

Top Takeaways

1)  Use 2-factor authentication.
2)  Freeze your credit.
3)  Consider using a dedicated device for financial accounts.
4)  Use good cyber hygiene:
     a) Keep operating system updated.
     b) Leverage an anti-virus program and keep it updated.
     c) Be careful when clicking on links.
     d) Configure alert notifications for account changes.
     e) Be wary of using public Wi-Fi.

9 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Re: Keeping Personal Information Safe

Good information!  Thanks.  

I do just about all of those, but get the feeling that many people just don't want to take the time or be bothered with some of them like multi-factor authentication for instance.

A credit freeze is especially worthwhile for preventing crooks from applying for credit cards and loans under somebody else's name.  Can be a bit of a hassle for somebody that frequently applies for credit cards or loans though.      

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@OpenMind wrote:

I do just about all of those, but get the feeling that many people just don't want to take the time or be bothered with some of them like multi-factor authentication for instance.

A credit freeze is especially worthwhile for preventing crooks from applying for credit cards and loans under somebody else's name.  Can be a bit of a hassle for somebody that frequently applies for credit cards or loans though.      

You're welcome!
I implement all the Top Takeaway suggestions except for #2 and #3.
Although I don't anticipate needing any new credit cards or loans
in the near future, I've procrastinated on freezing my credit nonetheless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

I recommend use of a password manager. There are several out there. I use LastPass which has a free version. It's what all the IT folks at my former employer personally used. I converted all my old and feeble passwords kept on a tattered spreadsheet using its robust password generator. I now log on to any site where I have an account with minimal effort and maximum security. Here's a link to a short article on how long passwords should be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@rila3400 wrote:

@OpenMind wrote:

You're welcome!
I implement all the Top Takeaway suggestions except for #2 and #3.
Although I don't anticipate needing any new credit cards or loans
in the near future, I've procrastinated on freezing my credit nonetheless.

Regarding #3, I generally don't access financial accounts with my phone, only my laptop at home.  Not sure if that's what it means or not.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@wayoutwest wrote:

I recommend use of a password manager. There are several out there. I use LastPass which has a free version. It's what all the IT folks at my former employer personally used. I converted all my old and feeble passwords kept on a tattered spreadsheet using its robust password generator. I now log on to any site where I have an account with minimal effort and maximum security. Here's a link to a short article on how long passwords should be.

I agree with you about use of a password manager.
It is a must since a different, complex password is required for each site.
I use KeePass because I prefer to store the password database
locally on my computer and not in the "cloud".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

@OpenMind wrote:

Regarding #3, I generally don't access financial accounts with my phone, only my laptop at home.  Not sure if that's what it means or not. 

Hi,

It means using a device dedicated for financial accounts only.
No email access, no web browsing, etc. from this device.
While this is a good suggestion, it may not be practical for everyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@wayoutwest wrote:

I use LastPass also.  It really takes a lot of the hassle out of using passwords, and if done with two-factor authentication should be secure.   Like you said it encourages people to use stronger passwords, and not use the same passwords for multiple sites.  Also, those using it aren't tempted to keep a hardcopy list of passwords near their computer that an unauthorized person could use. ( I keep mine in a safe deposit box.)

Last Pass has had some security problems though.  The last time was about two to three years ago.  I don't remember all the details, but they recommended that those not using two-factor authentication immediately change their passwords. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@OpenMind . When using phone for sensitive things, I turnoff wi-fi to make sure that I am not on any open wi-fi. Beyond that, there is no difference in security for smartphone vs PC.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.