cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

Down year to date?

The markets have taken a nosedive this year.  How much are you down year to date?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Down year to date?

@hku wrote:

The markets have taken a nosedive this year.  How much are you down year to date?

Well I believe like others last year the market was priced for perfection. From experience that meant overvalued to me. I’ve been making fantasy values real capital gains since the last big swoon and reinvesting for mainly CEF, value and muni income. I don’t expect to see the same “fantasy value” for awhile.

That all being said my fantasy value is “down” about 10% overall but my real income is “up” about 5%. As primarily an income investor with capital gains as a secondary consideration our portfolio is set up to convert any capital gains to more dependable and steady monthly or quarterly cash in excess to needs.

Value and CEF’s took the biggest hit, munis somewhat. We put most of our available cash at the end of March into those most down areas which have the longest path to recovery. That is the main reason for being “down”. Our equities are overweighted in tech. That’s going pretty well, “up” maybe 4% from a year ago. So in a year or so we’ll see if we can capture some capital gains and add safety and/or more income. That has been the plan since the late 80’s, two parts with one feeding the other.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Down 7.4% overall. The taxable money down 4%. The IRA's down about 10%.  Overweighted in energy and retail there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

As of close on 6/23 was dn. 8% YTD after paying taxes , bar bill & gambling, HD is up good, SCHW is now trading with the banks is dn. have a large $$$ in CEF's that got hit but should be OK no divvy cuts execpt F that I dumped, SCHW BANK is now bigger than brokerage, so guess that's why they move in lockstep banks [JPM,WFC,BAC] .  TERRY

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Break even But that’s Due to over weight in tech. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Above normal "UP" year to date [CapGains + Dividends] due to being a dividend oriented investor. Follow securities weekly including current Manager's, and CFO's performance ....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

This type of threads (train-related, gain/loss wrap-up, etc.) seem to bring the market downward.  :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Our portfolio is down 3.4% from it’s 2020 peak and down 2.5% YTD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@51hh wrote:

This type of threads (train-related, gain/loss wrap-up, etc.) seem to bring the market downward.  :)

??  Do you really think the market 'movers' are reading this forum?  Markets go up and down because that's what markets do. You shouldn't pay attention to the everyday noise.

Stay safe

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

My portfolio is up 5.56% for the last 12 months.  It's down 2.5% YTD.   Things are starting to open back up after the government shut everything down.  We have time for the market to recover this year.  At least I hope it will.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

+0.92% YTD

-2.95% PPV (peak port value).

0 Kudos
Announcements