cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Annoying Geico/Progressive Ads

The ads are everywhere and redundant and annoying.  Some are outright obnoxious enough to shut off whatever is on.  Its a waste and raises everyones premiums.  Instead of concentrating on keeping customers, they rely on increasing premiums to existing customers and getting new ones with obnoxious advertising.  It raises the cost of doing business and increases everyones premiums.  Correction:Ad spending at State Farm, Progressive tops $1B in 2019; GEICO nearly hits $2BState Farm has joined the ranks of property and casualty insurers to spend at least $1 billion on advertising in a year.

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. and its affiliates spent roughly $1.21 billion on advertising in 2019, compared to $903 million in 2018, according to an analysis of regulatory data by S&P Global Market Intelligence. The almost 34% year-over-year increase in ad spending was the highest among the largest U.S. personal auto insurers.

While State Farm was pouring money into advertisements, its private auto direct premiums written fell year over year for the first time since 2007. The group saw its auto direct premiums written decrease by 2.6% from $40.88 billion a year ago. In aggregate, State Farm reported personal lines direct premiums written of $59.86 billion in 2019, down from $60.42 billion in 2018, a decrease.Progressive Corp. continues to rapidly increase the amount of money it puts into advertising, more than doubling its expenditures since 2016. The insurer spent $1.66 billion in advertising in 2019, up from $1.29 billion in 2018. The company spent just $688 million on ads in 2016.Even with the increase in advertising spending, the insurer saw a slowdown in the growth of its private auto direct premiums. The yearly growth rate fell to 14.7% in 2019 compared to the almost 19% year-over-year growth it experienced in the prior year.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Annoying Geico/Progressive Ads

@hku wrote:

.....  Instead of concentrating on keeping customers, they rely on increasing premiums to existing customers and getting new ones with obnoxious advertising. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/264968/ad-spend-of-selected-insurance-companies-in-the-us/

So you provide a link to a subscription service trying to get new customers.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

The ads must be working or they would spend that money on new and different ads. There are some annoying ads that come on where I just close my eyes and go to one of my "happy places" for 30 to 60 seconds  

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

If you ask me, the Liberty Mutual ads are the WORST! At least some of the GEICO ads are humorous. 

Win
Highlighted
Participant ○○

hku_0-1599888504879.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Win1177 wrote:

If you ask me, the Liberty Mutual ads are the WORST! At least some of the GEICO ads are humorous. 

Yeah, that jingle “Liberty Liberty Mu-tu-al” is sooooo annoying.

Highlighted
Contributor ○

Where do you see ads? I do not have broadcast tv. I have not seen ads in years now. Online ads my eyes and mind just skip.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

@chang,@waffle @hku ,@Recordman @Win1177 ,

Call 877 Cash Now!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGp2J4G9MAc

Catchy tune but after one hears it 3 million times......

Fishingrod

Funny comercial for JG Wentworth with opera singers singing about their monetary needs. 877-CASH-NOW!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Geico works for me. They just reduced my home insurance policy by 3% and discounted 15% on my new auto insurance policy to compensate for diminished risks during the lockdown.

If you are complaining about Geico's ads, flip the channel. If you're complaining about Geico's ad expenditures, chose a different company. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Of course the ads are annoying. Look at the name Progressive and see why.

Both are direct marketing so they need to advertise ridiculously.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 

The progressive thing was good   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Personally I prefer the mayhem ads from allstate with Dean Winters which are hysterical, especially the ones with Tina Faye. Winters has been mayheming audiences for 10 years. You never know where mayhem is going to show up. He has made a lot more money from the Allstate ads they he ever made from appearances on SVU.

Highlighted
Explorer ○

Thank you Win1177!  Some of the old Geico ads were very funny.  But the Liberty emu?  Downright embarrassing.  And Flo from Progressive needs to be retaired ASAP.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Agree! I’m sick of the emu, whoever created that needs to go back to business school.

Win
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

And yet, it is the most talk about ad here. Is it effective? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

At least Lily is back , a little more buxom but still irresistible.  She did a nice calendar page many years ago but you can not easily find it on the internet anymore. 

0 Kudos
Announcements