cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Yale Epidemiology Professor says the science is clear: Hydroxychloroquine Works

Fascinating op-ed by Harvey Risch MD PhD, Professor of Epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health.  Dr. Risch has been published in peer reviewed publications over 300 times and holds a senior position on the boards of several leading journals.  No quack is he.

He calls for the immediate early use of hydroxychloroquine in high risk patients.

The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating-covid-19-already-exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-151953...

218 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Yale Epidemiology Professor says the science is clear: Hydroxychloroquine Works

It would be great if he is right and it saves lives. Let us see what rest of the medical community thinks of his studies and if they are all in favor.

Just curious, what process does medical community follow to decide these things in case it is a divided opinion?

I would ignore all the for and against noise coming from politicians and the news folks. They are not medical experts and have no training to make a judgement call on it.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Yale Epidemiology Professor says the science is clear: Hydroxychloroquine Works

One of Risch’s colleagues from Yale is a high school friend of mine in Boston. She has shown me a large bank of data and evidence for the effectiveness of early and aggressive treatment with HCQ. That is also part of Thailand’s treatment protocols, which have helped to limit the total fatalities to 58 in this country of 70 million. I mentioned this on the Thailand thread, and was immediately attacked and mocked for it. So ... good luck!

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

That is another baffling thing. Why are we here in US, so reluctant and slow to follow what is successful in other countries like masks and contact tracing.

Is it cultural?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

That is another baffling thing. Why are we here in US, so reluctant and slow to follow what is successful in other countries like masks and contact tracing.

Is it cultural?

I think the most successful actions in other countries have been:

• Early border closures (Thailand, Greece, Australia, NZ, Denmark, etc.);
  • German distancing and rule following ... not Latin touching and rule breaking ... so, yes, cultural;
  • Outside living (think many African countries, mostly untouched by the virus);
  • Less A/C and more warm weather (most of Europe right now), with windows open.

Excellent death rate stats in poor African and several Asian nations:

ScreenHunter 779.png

Masks are definitely necessary in cool, indoor spaces; but they're a last resort.  I just spent 12 days in Denmark, which has a very low death rate and where no one wears a mask.

But if you're sweating in a Houston or Miami Summer, and enter an air-conditioned bar, you'd be smart to mask up.  Better yet, don't go in..

OK:

8680bf57701b1fa8e339f7c29d58fa0dc08d8b98.jpg

Not OK:

Boxelder-LEAD.jpg

N.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

I actually have systemic lupus, and HCQ has helped with joint pain in a wonderful way.  For 40 years or so, it has helped me get out of bed in the morning without extreme pain.  My question is about the price. For years, the cost was under $5 a month.  Then a factory in India that made the Generic product was condemned by the US and the price became over $900 a month.  I started buying it directly from Sanofi in England for about $30 a month.  Now, for reasons unknown to me, My health plan, which is owned by Geisinger Medical Systems, a small rural provider, told me that the cost is now actually $0 from them, for the Sanofi product.  Can anybody explain the economics of this pricing?  Other people on the lupus boards - a very friendly group of folks, btw - are generally paying several hundred a month.  I know Trump said it was cheap, but it has not been cheap for years, until just now, when it is apparently free, for me.  

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

More directly, is Medicare pricing for the drug being manipulated politically?

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@norbertc - That tells me that attempts to open schools with physical attendance is a very bad idea. That would be lots of kids in closed rooms. I am glad in my school district people voted for online only schooling. I totally understand problem for families where there is no stay at home parent..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

@norbertc - That tells me that attempts to open schools with physical attendance is a very bad idea. That would be lots of kids in closed rooms. I am glad in my school district people voted for online only schooling. I totally understand problem for families where there is no stay at home parent..

I wish I knew more about it.  Perhaps physical attendance would be possible if combined with Covid-19 testing?  And if there's no stay-at-home parent?   If the kids are masked?  If the classroom is ventilated or the air is well filtered?  Are these things practical?  Don't know.

We shouldn't be careless, but we also shouldn't be excessively fearful.

Maybe @chang can tell us what's being done in Thailand / Asia?

N.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@waffle wrote:

Just curious, what process does medical community follow to decide these things in case it is a divided opinion?

Science looks for additional/new evidence in support of the hypothesis. In medical sciences, the strongest evidence comes from the results of double-blind randomized clinical trials. By default, any study on the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine against COVID has to have been performed in the last 7 months. I can tell you that a clinical trial sponsored by the NIH was halted in June because hydroxychloroquine provided no benefit. LINK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@norbertc wrote:

@waffle wrote:

I wish I knew more about it.  Perhaps physical attendance would be possible if combined with Covid-19 testing?  And if there's no stay-at-home parent?   If the kids are masked?  If the classroom is ventilated or the air is well filtered?  Are these things practical?  Don't know.

N.

Just to put everything out there, the issue that all US schools (and probably everywhere else) are having is that classrooms, due to funding constraints, put maximum kids in minimum space.  How, then, does one come up with any kind of system which allows for social distancing, while also meeting the attendance requirements (180 to 200 CONTACT days)?  Much less meet laboratory requirements where they exist?  That's the dilemma facing districts which are contemplating opening.  It's absolutely impossible to swing things precisely in the opposite direction using the same space and staffing.  Districts are TRYING to come up with a "solution", but it simply cannot be done unless requirements are reduced CONSIDERABLY. 

Remote learning, while safer, presents its OWN set of issues; not least of which being getting most students to work independently and diligently.  The problem for most students is that they have been conditioned to believe that teachers can learn the material FOR them; when in fact, they are only able to teach it TO them!  Instead of being a path to the advancement of student knowledge; it is a chore to be completed; a box to be checked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

April to June. very quick halt.   Science or politics/pharma lobby?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@norbertc wrote:

@waffle wrote:

N.

I don’t know all the details about the reopening of schools here in Thailand, but I think most reopened July with some kind of staggered schedule to reduce the number of students in school at any one time by half. Also, kids wear masks—just like adults—all the time outside of their home.

I am actually starting a PhD program in physics next month, and (unfortunately) the classes will be conducted online.

It’s been over 60 days now without a new, reported infection within the country. But the borders are still pretty much shut tight. When they are opened, as eventually they must be, we’ll see what happens.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Switzerland temporarily suspended HCQ treatment between May 27-June 11 in reaction to the Lancet anti-HCQ study, which was proved fraudulent and retracted. Look at the graph below of COVID deaths in Switzerland. The sharp increase in deaths within the gray window is the direct result of that suspension.

Similar suspensions have been reversed in France, Panama and Brazil, and the same patterns are forming.

Ignore the NIH and FDA "no benefit" announcements. Follow the money trail from the US Treasury to Gilead, Pfizer and BioNTech.

Better yet, look at the graph above.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Conspiracy theories will not help against the virus. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

But HCQ will.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Why not? It’s worked so far blaming things on one person. 

@CarlosDS wrote:

Conspiracy theories will not help against the virus. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Gary1952 

Not sure what you mean but please keep your politics out of the thread. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@CarlosDS wrote:

@Gary1952 

Not sure what you mean but please keep your politics out of the thread. 

You might want to re-read your own posts.  M* Ryan has shut down threads because of your political commentary and innuendo.  You even cited your constitutional rights at one point.

Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Call me when there is a vaccine. Until then, the world can carry on without me. 

"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
0 Kudos
Announcements