cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Why I switched from Chrome to Brave browser

Let's start from the conclusion.  Brave is faster. Brave blocks ads by default. Brave supports Tor browsing. Brave automatically encrypts your website connection when possible. Brave now supports all Chrome extensions.

On my laptop, Brave was faster maybe by 1-2% which is insignificant, it's safer and no ads but what's nice is the fact there are sites (such as Yahoo mail) that would not allow me to block ads with Chrome but I can do it with Brave. On my cell phone, the speed was much faster than before.

If you want to watch ads (why?) you can get paid (maybe $5 monthly) with a cryptocurrency called BAT (Basic Attention Token).

Brave is developed by Brave Software, which was founded by CEO Brendan Eich (creator of JavaScript and former CEO of Mozilla Corporation/Firefox) and CTO Brian Bondy.[

The “engine” wars are basically over with the Chromium engine, called Blink, basically powering everything (Chrome, Opera, Edge, Vivaldi). The notable exceptions are Firefox and Apple’s Safari.

Tor vs VPN.  To me, it sounds close unless you are a nerd but Tor is easier and free thru Brave.

More read here(link)

13 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Why I switched from Chrome to Brave browser

I was told to never put TOR on my computer or smart phone. 

I saw TOR only once. On someone else's computer. He showed me a lot of crazy stuff.

I understand that TOR is the browser to the "dark web".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@galeno wrote:

I was told to never put TOR on my computer or smart phone. 

I saw TOR only once. On someone else's computer. He showed me a lot of crazy stuff.

I understand that TOR is the browser to the "dark web".

Yes, it is. Some people use dark web. How else, do you think that so many crazy people go around and feed themselves without checking the facts? I heard that some people have moved to Parler - and now, Parler is worried about the feeding stuff. So, they may come heavy on those people.

Going back to the original post, I installed Brave and found it rquired more MB than Chrome and double that of FF. I could not get my bookmarks and passwords from FF. I cannot block certain websites as I can do in FF. Some extensions do not exist for Brave just in Chrome. So, FF is the best. In fact, I send money to FF once in a while. I sent money a few days ago using my credit card and I am yet to pay the credit card bill. Money sent to FF is worth it just like you invest in tread mill.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Perfectly happy with Firefox (FF).  It Doesnt snoop on me, and log all my activity like Chrome.  I dont trust either Google or Microsoft, I wouldnt have an account with either, nor FB.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

How does Brave get around individual websites requiring permission for ads in order to view the site? I thought this was controlled by sites rather than the browser. I use Adblock with Chrome which is blocking 3 ads on this site and so none show, but many sites require enabling ads for their site.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Q for FF users: I couldn't find auto-signin feature using saved passwords [like Chrome has]. So, I have to manually click through login screens that do have saved UserID and password. Some sites remember logins for days, but others log you out frequently. I use these features only for general news and investment sites, never for banks or brokers.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@archer wrote:

How does Brave get around individual websites requiring permission for ads in order to view the site? I thought this was controlled by sites rather than the browser. I use Adblock with Chrome which is blocking 3 ads on this site and so none show, but many sites require enabling ads for their site.

Some of the answer are...More read here(link)

I used to have adblocker on my Chrome but I uninstalled it in Brave and I can still see sites that I couldn't see with Chrome(like Yahoo.com).

============

"dark web"? why would you go looking for trouble? I never went there.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Never used the saved password feature for any browsers.  I wouldnt go that route for security reasons.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Last month I downloaded and installed the "Duck Duck Go" browser on my smart phone. I don't like it. I just downloaded the Brave browser. I'll try it out.

Why is it BAD to use Explorer (computer) and Chrome (smart phone) browsers?

Is it dangerous to download TOR and browse the dark web on one's personal computer? Or am I getting "my leg pulled"? The guy that showed me the dark web once on TOR uses a separate computer that he only uses to browse the dark web.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I use "saved passwords" in FF of my Laptop and my smart phone. I can block websites accessing my computer.  However, I do not get the password automatically in my smart phone but I use tools and use "copy and paste" feature to login in my smart phone. I can login using these without any problem, even Vanguard. I do not want to show my screen shots here. I found 6 ads blocked by ABP, 16 by uorgin, and 1 privacy blocked by "Privacy Badger" in this website - of course - in FF. I also have "FB Blocker," it does not show any FB active here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@galeno wrote:

Last month I downloaded and installed the "Duck Duck Go" browser on my smart phone. I don't like it. I just downloaded the Brave browser. I'll try it out.

Is it dangerous to download TOR and browse the dark web on one's personal computer? Or am I getting "my leg pulled"? The guy that showed me the dark web once on TOR uses a separate computer that he only uses to browse the dark web.

I recently added DuckDuckGo search engine to Firefox on my laptop and smartphone. Google doesn't need to know me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

@galeno wrote:

What did he show you on the dark web? Enquiring minds want to know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Joanna Stern of the WSJ suggested quitting Chrome for Safari or Edge yesterday.  

I'm not a tech genius, but she seems sensible.

Quit Chrome. Safari and Edge Are Just Better Browsers for You and Your Computer.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/quit-chrome-safari-and-edge-are-just-better-browsers-for-you-and-your-c...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

The only thing I use my android phone for that needs secure is depositing checks. Other than that I do not access any site such as my Fidelity account except from my computer. I use Firefox/LinuxMint. Don't worry about viruses etc other than passing one to my acquaintances on windows. Have used for over 15 years. Used Ubutu early on. I use saved passwords on my desktop that is kept in a fireproof vault in my underground bunker. But with my laptop I use master password since I take it out of the house. Do not log into any secure site such as my Fidelity account or bank while at McDonald.  Lots of dark web types hang out there. As far as what the government can track, I haven't had so much as a parking ticket in 40 years. Don't go anywhere I would be ashamed of my mom seeing, may she rest in peace.

Rich 

0 Kudos
Announcements