cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
nobhead
Explorer ○○

Very Little Activity on Investing Discussion Board

Solved or there is a best answer. Go to solution.

I am seeing very, very few posts on the Investing Forums. Is there something wrong or has most everyone stopped posting?

TIA

Nob
1 Accepted Solution or Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
fred495
Participant ○○○

Re: Very Little Activity on Investing Discussion Board

@nobhead wrote:

@fred495 wrote:

@bujia wrote:

By making it very difficult and actually banning certain posters and by modifying what was once a very useful site, M* has essentially sabotaged what was once a very active community.

Gene

Well said, @bujia

I am spending most of my time on another investment site where a number of "certain posters", who decided to leave M*, are now very active. They seem to be quite happy being able to share their valuable comments and suggestions in a respectful and investment focused environment.

Good luck,

Fred

@fred495,

Could you tell me where you are posting? Nothing much here anymore and I am not a Fidelity customer.

TIA

I am now going mostly to the Fidelity Investor Community site. Sorry to hear that you can't access that site.

Good luck, @nobhead,

Fred

View solution in original post

70 Replies
Powerwheels
Follower ○○○

I'm not using it as much as the new layout makes it more difficult IMO.  Perhaps that's it.

bujia
Explorer ○○

By making it very difficult and actually banning certain posters and by modifying what was once a very useful site, M* has essentially sabotaged what was once a very active community.

Gene

rickatie
Follower ○○○

Since informative valuable posts copied from another site relating to CEF's were recently deemed in violation of rules on this site, I find next to nothing of value here. In addition, a provocative stalker has re-emerged here from the old forum and I find his posts quite distasteful and negative towards other posters. 

marymary
Explorer ○○

Check CEF board for new thread titled "monkey"

fred495
Participant ○○○

@bujia wrote:

Gene

Well said, @bujia

I am spending most of my time on another investment site where a number of "certain posters", who decided to leave M*, are now very active. They seem to be quite happy being able to share their valuable comments and suggestions in a respectful and investment focused environment.

Good luck,

Fred

0 Kudos
rickatie
Follower ○○○

Ah - gotcha. Thanks marymary

0 Kudos
nobhead
Explorer ○○

@fred495 wrote:

@bujia wrote:

Gene

Well said, @bujia

Good luck,

Fred

@fred495,

Could you tell me where you are posting? Nothing much here anymore and I am not a Fidelity customer.

TIA

Nob
0 Kudos
perrywinkle
Explorer ○○○

@nobhead wrote:

@fred495 wrote:

@bujia wrote:

Gene

Well said, @bujia

Good luck,

Fred

@fred495,

TIA

+1. Methinks they have moved to Fidelity platform and I am not a Fidelity customer as well.

0 Kudos
fred495
Participant ○○○

@nobhead wrote:

@fred495 wrote:

@bujia wrote:

Gene

Well said, @bujia

Good luck,

Fred

@fred495,

TIA

I am now going mostly to the Fidelity Investor Community site. Sorry to hear that you can't access that site.

Good luck, @nobhead,

Fred

View solution in original post

fffloyddd
Explorer ○

no matter your feelings about fd1000, his postings here generated a lot of chatter back and forth and there was lots of great stuff to be derived from both the pros and the cons.  what we're seeing now, i think, are the unintended consequences of losing someone like him, as well as cape before him.

sure he could be a pain but it's a shame he was driven out (if that's how you want to look at it).

making matters worse is, the fidelity forum site is even worse than this one, if you can believe that.  (imho.)

nobhead
Explorer ○○

@fffloyddd wrote:

no matter your feelings about fd1000, his postings here generated a lot of chatter back and forth and there was lots of great stuff to be derived from both the pros and the cons.  what we're seeing now, i think, are the unintended consequences of losing someone like him, as well as cape before him.

sure he could be a pain but it's a shame he was driven out (if that's how you want to look at it).

making matters worse is, the fidelity forum site is even worse than this one, if you can believe that.  (imho.)

@fffloyddd,

I agree that FD provided good information. I did not post much but always followed him, Cape, and many others for over 15 years. I just ignored all the chatter. What we are seeing now is a pitiful excuse for an investment discussion board. Hard to believe Fidelity is worse. Thanks for your reply.

Nob
Fishingrod
Explorer ○○○

A lot of people have chosen to discuss politics instead of investing. I know that there is a definite connection these days to be steadfast to each side of the sandbox for both, if you get my drift. It has been difficult for most to get along. The discussions have suffered because of it. Politics surely play a big role in investing, at least for traders and retirees.

0 Kudos
steelpony10
Participant ○○

Why the lack of posters?

In my opinion well managed companies and mutual funds can adapt and operate in all environments. Some of us long term amateur investors learned to adapt with experience to the wall of perpetual woe as they do by creating an all weather portfolio that works for us in many markets. Once you arrive at that point your plan is finished.

Maybe some posters as amateur investors think they’ve reached their financial goals and just seek new avenues to pursue their hobby. It is an anonymous social media where aggression may be more prevalent as an outlet.

It’s easier for me to remember there will never be a perfect plan since trying to base a solution to a problem based on unknowns isn’t possible. I think the basic possible solutions have been covered along with their flaws. What more is there to cover with the same, some dominating, posters?

0 Kudos
Poorfolio
Explorer ○

Politics has done its part. Once somebody states his/her political views that person will become more liked or disliked by the audience and as such their financial opinions might be accepted differently. 

The new M* remodeling won't help a bit, either. It has lost most of its attraction from my point of view, though I'm really trying hard to get used to it.

norbertc
Contributor ○○○

@nobhead wrote:

I am seeing very, very few posts on the Investing Forums. Is there something wrong or has most everyone stopped posting?

TIA

My thinking is:

• There used to be a "core" set of good investors who posted here (e.g., DI, Oildog, and Capecod).  They have all departed.
  • The M* upgrade resulted in a much less useful site.  Users were not consulted.  Speaking personally, I'm not feeling good about M* anymore.  It may be childish, but I feel betrayed. 
  • The M* upgrade was handed to us without beta testing, resulting in weeks of hassle.
  • The childish "badges" are demeaning. I hate them.
  • There's a self-appointed, very prolific moderator who recently complained that Capecod's posts were being quoted here; the following day M* Ryan decided to forbid these posts.  For me, that was the last straw.   Surely he could have explained that extended quotes are a no-no, but that references or paraphrasing are a different story?  We lost some very valuable information thanks to this.

I'm a Fidelity client and will phone on Monday to see if I can join the forum there. 

Just my two cents.

dtconroe
Contributor ○○

Seems to me that there are some very good posters moving to Fidelity, and I wish them the best.  From my vantage point, many of them are more frequent traders, who choose to discuss their decisions for more recent trades.  One of the posters who has moved to Fidelity created many enemies on M* because of his demeaning posts, often calling other posters names, and he got in trouble from the "unreasonable" M* moderator--apparently he can post in a more appropriate manner at Fidelity so that is a good move for him.  I no longer am a Fidelity client, no longer trade as much, and have no real need to join that forum, but I think posters will move to what works best for them personally, so that is a very personal decision that each poster will make.  In my opinion, there are still some very very good posters on M* and I look forward to hearing their thoughts, comments, and information about their investing style and decisions.

0 Kudos
chang
Valued Contributor

Good freakin grief. If I quit M* and move over to the Fido forum (where I’m registered) it will be because every second thread here is bitching about FD.

Ryan can you please create a “FD Derangement Syndrome” forum and collect all the FD bashing posts and put them there? I have a suggestion for a moderator on that forum, if you need one.
FD1001
Valued Contributor

Norbert, good post as usual

That reminds me of a very known company I used to work for many years ago.  In one year 30% of their IT workers left and instead of improving they denied the situation.  Then, things didn't work well and then they brought in Deloitte & Touche and paid them a million-dollar to tell them the obvious.  It happened in other companies too but much lower % left.

In all cases most of the people who left were the top workers because they can and/or they want to work with other top people.

Chang, another good post, I have a much better idea of how to solve the real problem  :-)

BD
Explorer ○

Hi. I wanted to say that I enjoy hearing the views of everybody - even if their views are abrasive to some.   I like hearing from FD.  I like hearing from Brantley.  Or Bentley.  I am happy to know that x followed and promotes somebody who got arrested.  I do not think you get anywhere with investing if you just make a decision that you are not going to listen to certain views because you find them disagreeable.  This is also not a pre-school mothers conversation club.   We are all adults.  People disagree.  Get used to it.   NO NO NO   We cannot all get along.   This is investing.   If we all got along, we would all own the same stuff.   But everybody has a different situation and a different view.  I have found the most help from the posters who the rest of you found annoying.   I do not come here for investment advice, I have a FA for that, but you can find insights and perspectives out there that provide very good information.   But no, I am not buying T anytime soon.  Plus some of the people who complain have provided me with zero insight on anything.  Do you complain, but offer nothing in return.  

0 Kudos
Announcements

To learn more about the recent changes to Morningstar.com, please see the updated FAQ.

See recent posts and all our forums or access the old forums here.

You can read the community guidelines in