cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Unemployment Benefits in PA

 

In the State of Pennsylvania, if someone is laid off work due to COVID-19 but is receiving their salary on a weekly basis for 26 weeks as part of a severance package, can they get unemployment compensation for these 26 weeks?

Hootz

 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Unemployment Benefits in PA


@Hootz wrote:

 

In the State of Pennsylvania, if someone is laid off work due to COVID-19 but is receiving their salary on a weekly basis for 26 weeks as part of a severance package, can they get unemployment compensation for these 26 weeks?

Hootz

 


I would assume that, ifn part of a severance package, then it wasn't a layoff but a firing or termination, with no possibility of a return to work.  So my guess would be yes, they are eligible for both PA benefits and federal benefits, for 4 more weeks now. 

At any rate, it is really easy to find out.  Here is the online link to apply for the benefit, then to file the bi-weekly claim.  You fill out the form, the state contacts your former employer (or the state checks their records) and finds out your wages for the last 5 quarters.  They then calculate the state benefit.  https://www.uc.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Unemployment Benefits in PA


@ElLobo wrote:

@Hootz wrote:

 

In the State of Pennsylvania, if someone is laid off work due to COVID-19 but is receiving their salary on a weekly basis for 26 weeks as part of a severance package, can they get unemployment compensation for these 26 weeks?

Hootz

 


I would assume that, ifn part of a severance package, then it wasn't a layoff but a firing or termination, with no possibility of a return to work.  So my guess would be yes, they are eligible for both PA benefits and federal benefits, for 4 more weeks now. 

At any rate, it is really easy to find out.  Here is the online link to apply for the benefit, then to file the bi-weekly claim.  You fill out the form, the state contacts your former employer (or the state checks their records) and finds out your wages for the last 5 quarters.  They then calculate the state benefit.  https://www.uc.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx


El, 

Thank you.

The company is in the testing business and because of COVID they had no way to administer this particular exam. The company decided to forever eliminate this exam, hence the termination of the complete department.

Since my post, I have come to learn that I think you are correct. The effective date was 6-1. What continues to throw me off is how can one get unemployment when they are getting "paid" weekly from 6-1 + 26 weeks?

While a different issue, they also have paid healthcare (the same plan as when they were employed), for the same 26 weeks, but it is under COBRA, and the company is paying the monthly premium. After the 26 weeks, the employee will have the option to continue COBRA for the remaining 52 weeks and the employee is not being charged the 2% administrative fee.

Hootz 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Unemployment Benefits in PA


@Hootz wrote:

@ElLobo wrote:

@Hootz wrote:

 

In the State of Pennsylvania, if someone is laid off work due to COVID-19 but is receiving their salary on a weekly basis for 26 weeks as part of a severance package, can they get unemployment compensation for these 26 weeks?

Hootz

 


I would assume that, ifn part of a severance package, then it wasn't a layoff but a firing or termination, with no possibility of a return to work.  So my guess would be yes, they are eligible for both PA benefits and federal benefits, for 4 more weeks now. 

At any rate, it is really easy to find out.  Here is the online link to apply for the benefit, then to file the bi-weekly claim.  You fill out the form, the state contacts your former employer (or the state checks their records) and finds out your wages for the last 5 quarters.  They then calculate the state benefit.  https://www.uc.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx


El, 

Thank you.

The company is in the testing business and because of COVID they had no way to administer this particular exam. The company decided to forever eliminate this exam, hence the termination of the complete department.

Since my post, I have come to learn that I think you are correct. The effective date was 6-1. What continues to throw me off is how can one get unemployment when they are getting "paid" weekly from 6-1 + 26 weeks?

While a different issue, they also have paid healthcare (the same plan as when they were employed), for the same 26 weeks, but it is under COBRA, and the company is paying the monthly premium. After the 26 weeks, the employee will have the option to continue COBRA for the remaining 52 weeks and the employee is not being charged the 2% administrative fee.

Hootz 


They are not getting paid to work.  They are being paid a very generous termination package.  The company could have just 'terminated' them with no package!  It's exactly the same as another company, like Boeing, from which I retired 17 years ago, did for some of their older employees, giving them what was called a 'golden parachute' ifn they 'retired' early, rather than being laid off or terminated.

It's a bit unfortunate that the company didn't do this a few months ago, rather then on June 1, so that he/she could have received the extra $600/week from the feds over and above what Pennsylvania will pay!

I sure hope things work out well for them!

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Re: Unemployment Benefits in PA

El,

Again, thanks.

Yes, they are very fortunate. The team vigorously tried to redesign the exam to administer virtually, but it just did not work out. The person that I am referring to already has a nice offer, but it requires relocation.

One last question. Using a termination date of June 1, what period of time are they entitled to the $600/week from the Federal Government?

Hootz

 

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Unemployment Benefits in PA


@Hootz wrote:

El,

Again, thanks.

Yes, they are very fortunate. The team vigorously tried to redesign the exam to administer virtually, but it just did not work out. The person that I am referring to already has a nice offer, but it requires relocation.

One last question. Using a termination date of June 1, what period of time are they entitled to the $600/week from the Federal Government?

Hootz

 

 


I mis-spoke.  The extra $600/week from the feds is paid for 4 months, in addition to what the individual receives from Pennsylvania, so it doesn't depend on when they file!

Sorry for the confusion.

By the way, you're welcome!  8-))

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Announcements