cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

USPS wants to charge for tracking your package

Screenshot_2020-09-14 USPS com® - USPS Tracking® Results.pngIt is free in UPS and FedEx. Besides, they deliver even earlier sometimes. It happened today, when I received 2500 sheets of paper (20 lbs) from UPS. USPS is not only slow but wants to charge for tracking.

By the way, USPS calls its delivery service "USPS Market Place."

This is supposed to be a "Two Delivery from walmart." It will be a little longer than 2-day delivery because it did not come today.

Here is one from FedEx. It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I assume that it would happen because it is already in Nashville.

Screenshot_2020-09-14 Track your package or shipment with FedEx Tracking.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: USPS wants to charge for tracking your package

I paid a very modest fee to track documents returned to my lawyer. No big deal.

I made a pretty substantial art purchase last Saturday which the dealer sent USPS Priority from Arizona. The purchase will be delivered tomorrow.  Not bad.

I am happy to keep USPS in business, just as I am happy that UPS, FedEx, and Amazon remain in business. 

The postal service provides an essential service in our community.

Bob 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

It is free in UPS and FedEx”

Nothing is free. It’s in the price.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

When one uses USPS Certified Mail, tracking feature is included. I print it as proof of delivery for my records.

When I get notice of package delivery via USPS, I can track it for free. Unclear why I would buy tracking history service for it for 6 mo - 10 yr [from the OP, I see that tracking history is available for free for up to 4 mo].

I have had bad experiences with UPS. Their notice of delivery typically pops up suddenly, like the night before. If one wants to change time or place of delivery, one has to pay. In one case, it was a shipment from my mail order pharmacy during Winter and I wasn't going to be home for the time window of delivery, and I was concerned that some meds would be damaged. After some difficulty, I found a live UPS Rep who said that nothing could be done - not even holding the package at a nearby UPS store. The Rep said that I should ask the mail order pharmacy to use special a delivery mode if I am concerned about some liquid or aerosol meds freezing if left on the porch in below freezing Winter temps.

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@chang wrote:

It is free in UPS and FedEx”

Nothing is free. It’s in the price.

@changI already know. However, USPS should make it a policy to provide the same conveinece as others. Did you know that UPS and FedEx people also pick up (return) items from our porch when they come to deliver so that we do not have to drive their places? It is just the service that makes a big difference in spite of the price, even if it is included. So, even in terms of the service, USPS is not a great service. Unfortunately, we do get a lot of stuff from USPS also every day because of Amazon's Prime.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

The OP Subject line is a bit deceiving. Tracking continues to be included in certain mail classes as before (First Class, Priority, parcels, etc.). The service fee alluded to is for a history, I imagine for larger scale shippers. I send/get stuff from USPS, UPS, and FedEx and all have their problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@wayoutwest wrote:

The OP Subject line is a bit deceiving. Tracking continues to be included in certain mail classes as before (First Class, Priority, parcels, etc.). The service fee alluded to is for a history, I imagine for larger scale shippers. I send/get stuff from USPS, UPS, and FedEx and all have their problems.

The OP is eaxcly correct. Now, going back to the OP, the FEDEx delivery is here on the porch as promised, and USPS delivery says "delayed." No one knows why. I have sent an e-mail to Wal Mart that has been redirected to the merchant. Wal Mart should know that, if it is 2-day delivery, it should have been delivered last Friday as Wal Mart delivered another item from the same order. I am entering this post from that Laptop right now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@ECEPROF wrote:

@wayoutwest wrote:

The OP is eaxcly correct. 

I was speaking to the Subject Line. It is deceiving because the USPS still tracks packages as before and has not added a new charge for this service as the subject line seems to imply. You conflate standard tracking with Premium Tracking (extended history). I simply wanted to point this out to readers. You are welcome to proceed with your rant.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The item has never arrived here even after 10 days. Neither the merchant nor Walamrt could track the package using USPS tracking number. The merchant never replied to my e-mail I sent three days ago. Walmart has issued a refund for the item. Who knows? Some postal worker stole it.

0 Kudos
Announcements