cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○

U.S. Passport not worth renewing

The list of countries that ban U.S.travelers grows weekly.  It is simply not worth it to renew a U.S. Passport.:My idea of travel is not spending a month in quarantine.

This is certainly NOT an all inclusive list, there are many others not listed have banned U.S. travelers.

Starting Wednesday, Bahamas will ban entry to U.S. travelers on commercial flights and boats (arrivals by private planes and boats will still be permitted) following a surge of cases in the island nation after it reinstated international travel on July 1, according to the Washington Post.

The European Union’s 27 countries extended their ban on U.S. travelers on July 16 and will review the list of accepted nations every two weeks. 

China has banned all U.S. travelers and all Chinese travelers have been banned from the United States.

Similarly, Canada and Mexico will not allow nonessential travelers from the U.S. to cross their borders; cases in Canada are as low as they were in March, while they climb in Mexico.

Perhaps the U.S. Treasury thought they were penalizing taxpayers when they revoked their passports? Looks like a bonus.

If you have been certified to the Department of State by the Secretary of the Treasury as having a seriously delinquent tax debt, you cannot be issued a U.S. passport and your current U.S. passport may be revoked.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Re: U.S. Passport not worth renewing

Something to consider....

My wife used to work in passports and they had trouble in keeping up with the current demand [available man power problem]. If/when "all" the people decide to get their passports [all at once], they may find that the "waiting" line may be a month "or more" and their current travel plans may be delayed or have to be cancelled. The Gov't doesn't work to consumer demand....

It is always wise, when dealing with the Gov't [especially in today's environment], to give them "more" time than may be normally allotted....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

This, too, shall pass.

I recently renewed Global Entry.

No plans for 2021 but hopeful for 2022.

Keep the faith..🙏

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Many states are slow in rolling out Real ID driver licenses; in IL, it is still optional although I will get it at my next renewal [my wife got it at her last renewal]. 

In the near future, if people don't have Real ID driver license, passport will be required even for domestic travel. That says nothing about potential overseas travel in future, if not now.

Renewing passport is much easier than letting it expire and starting over.

YBB
Highlighted
Participant ○○

My wife and I renewed our U.S. passports and signed up for Real ID in Michigan on the same day a few months ago. She thought her Real ID had gone astray in the mail but it turned out she had given our new address, and I had given our old one. I got my ID within 1 week, hers was "missing" for 3 months until we picked up our accumulated mail at the new place.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@yogibearbull

I think Illinois did not mandate an immediate switch to RealID compliant licenses but they've been switching every renewal to Real ID compliant for some years - I guess in a year or two everyone will have one. 

For those that don't - to enter federal facilities that require Real ID, and for flights also, the Global entry card is considered to meet requirements. Similarly, a passport card will work even without carrying the passport book.  The only potential issue is that many TSA agents and other "gatekeepers" are simply unfamiliar with those documents and may balk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A Passport is valid for 10 years. None of us knows how long this will last; however, I seriously doubt it will even lasts  2 years at the very outside. We must live for the future.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Yes, there are places that are banning US travelers now, but there will be a vaccine available within a few months.  You better believe most countries want US tourists and business travelers (or at least their $) and the bans will have disappeared by next Memorial day.  We renewed our passports just before COVID came along, so they're still pristine.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Four months ago I was in a rush to get to the States from Japan before the virus exploded there and the borders closed and I'd be shut out of the US for the spring/summer. Now Japan has banned Americans (and pretty much everyone else) from entry and NO ONE wants Yanks. Ironic that the US is now quarantined by/from the rest of the world.  Norbie, doesn't look so good now, eh??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Pudman,

There are any number of other countries that thought they had whipped Covid-19 and are now experiencing backfire.

Keeping Americans out strikes me as not exactly an epidemiological decision. But it sure has proven costly with respect to tourism.

One clear lesson I have learned from Covid-19 is not to be smug.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Bob and xray. COVID will pass and the line could be very long afterward. We'll be renewing our passports in the fall to be ready for that moment. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

Not renewing your passport due to these issues seems kind of tongue in cheek.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

We keep all of our documents up to date. Especially passports. One never knows when one needs to "get out of Dodge". In a hurry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@SJ60 wrote:

@yogibearbull

I think Illinois did not mandate an immediate switch to RealID compliant licenses but they've been switching every renewal to Real ID compliant for some years - I guess in a year or two everyone will have one. 

For those that don't - to enter federal facilities that require Real ID, and for flights also, the Global entry card is considered to meet requirements. Similarly, a passport card will work even without carrying the passport book.  The only potential issue is that many TSA agents and other "gatekeepers" are simply unfamiliar with those documents and may balk.

In Illinois, getting old style or Real ID driver license is still an option at renewal. In fact, old style driver license can be renewed online [if no tests, including stupid DMV eye test, are required]. But for Real ID driver license, one has to go to DMV with multiple documents for ID. IL-DMV is so crowded that there are still radio ads that not everyone needs Real ID - and not all facilities process Real ID and some do it only in the morning..   https://realid.ilsos.gov/

YBB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Yogi, my wife and I used our expired passports, plus our old state ID's (in my case this was my almost expired driver's license; my wife just had a state ID without drivers license), to obtain our Real ID's.  On the same day we then took the same documents to the passport office in the US Post Office to apply for new passports.

There's a certain amount of circularity in the ID validation process. My wife doesn't drive but she did have an old state ID. But it has all worked out in the end. We aren't planning on traveling abroad for a while. My brother had reserved a chateau in France for our extended family to spend a couple of weeks this summer on the occasion of his 75th birthday. But that isn't happening. And my wife and I canceled our plans for a 2-week vacation in Maine.

So we are homebodies. With two homes 65 miles apart! And an abundance of personal ID documents.

0 Kudos
Announcements