cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Seems every year now I have to have my wife put a match to the tick to remove it. It took awhile to get it this time.......wife burned more hair on the nape of my neck before she could get the little blood sucker.

0 Kudos
1 Accepted Solution or Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

My wife said "sorry" for burning my neck. She now understands thanks to you, Vive, for the correct way of removing my little friends.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Participant ○
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

I heard putting vaseline on them will cause them to back out after awhile. Seems like they might just back out and back in somewhere else though. I've been lucky with ticks over my life. I just pull them out. I never had one that pulled apart and left the head in. I think they are different in different parts of the country. The ones in CA have always notified me with an irritation. When I lived on the east coast, they never causes a reaction. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

My wife said "sorry" for burning my neck. She now understands thanks to you, Vive, for the correct way of removing my little friends.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Can't add anything as to how to remove them but I can suggest that you identify what type of tick it is as soon as possible.  My son was bitten by a Lone Star tick and now suffers from the alpha-gal syndrome.  He is now allergic to all red meats and suffers an anaphylactic reaction if he ingests any. Has to carry one of the Epi-pens around with him now.  

Don't let the name fool you, he was never in Texas.  Probably was bitten in middle Georgia but I think the tick is all over the Southeast.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Ticks carry *many* diseases, none fun.

With the vector populations in their life cycle getting out of whack, they are increasing everywhere. 

Permethrin all outer clothing, boots, tents. Shake off clothing at end of each day. Leave clothes outside, shower.

The Lyme disease-carrying ticks take a while, about 24 hours, of roaming over your unsuspecting body before latching on.

I do not know about Lone Star ticks. I imagine Appalachian Trail woods are hot spots.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@WillieB1 wrote:

Can't add anything as to how to remove them but I can suggest that you identify what type of tick it is as soon as possible.  My son was bitten by a Lone Star tick and now suffers from the alpha-gal syndrome.  He is now allergic to all red meats and suffers an anaphylactic reaction if he ingests any. Has to carry one of the Epi-pens around with him now.  

Don't let the name fool you, he was never in Texas.  Probably was bitten in middle Georgia but I think the tick is all over the Southeast.  

Sorry to learn about your son, Wil.

0 Kudos
Announcements