Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Stimulus checks sent to more than 1 million dead people

This is the way the uncle Sam works.

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-15-482T

Meanwhile, more than 1.48 million lost jobs this week.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Stimulus checks sent to more than 1 million dead people

@ECEPROF wrote:

GAO report was published in 2015. What does it have to do with stimulus payments?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sorry. It is a wrong link. It is a WaPo story. It was also in another FOX16 channel. You can check those for the news. You can also find it in USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/06/25/coronavirus-irs-sent-stimulus-checks-1-milli...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Checks also sent to people who are in prisons. Govt trying to get that money back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

This kind of news spreads fast. Here is another.

Treasury sent nearly $1.4B in stimulus payments to dead people: report

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

This is another example of a Government boondoggle.  If i filed jointly with a SSN, spouse with an ITIN, i get nothing;  but yet dead people get checks.  IRS knows who died by looking at SSA records, which it claims to have access to;  SSA has records which they are using to send the checks.  When my relative passed away, the SSA claimed back the check it sent in a matter of a few days.  So whats the problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Good question, intruder.

My mom made it to almost 102.  Some time in her late 90s, she got a call from someone who worked for the Federal government.  I just happened to be at the house and picked up the phone.  They wanted to come out and meet my mother.  I was told they just had to.  I made of point of being there when they came by.  The women was very pleasant.  The women presented her ID. My mother had to say hello, state her name and, I think, show any sort of picture ID.  I walked the women back to her car and asked why they did this.  She said it was simply to make sure that my mom was still alive.  Presumably some people fail to report deaths to the SSA.  The women was very nice and professional.  She said she hoped she looked as good as my mom if she lived that long.  Sometimes, the government does look for fraud.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@gilvkona wrote:

Good question, intruder.

My mom made it to almost 102.  Some time in her late 90s, she got a call from someone who worked for the Federal government.  I just happened to be at the house and picked up the phone.  They wanted to come out and meet my mother.  I was told they just had to.  I made of point of being there when they came by.  The women was very pleasant.  The women presented her ID. My mother had to say hello, state her name and, I think, show any sort of picture ID.  I walked the women back to her car and asked why they did this.  She said it was simply to make sure that my mom was still alive.  Presumably some people fail to report deaths to the SSA.  The women was very nice and professional.  She said she hoped she looked as good as my mom if she lived that long.  Sometimes, the government does look for fraud.

This is indeed a heart warming story. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○○

Can't help but wonder how many of those dead people will vote this fall.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_09-508.pdf

Latest data I found RE Deaths in the US was for 2017. In that year there were 2,813,503 reported deaths in the  US. That comes to about 7,708 deaths per day. I can not imagine the number of persons it takes to enter this  data on a timely basis. The problem is the way they decided who got a stimulus check - the 2018 or 2019 tax returns.

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

Seems to me that most of the checks sent out went to those who filed their tax return for tax year 2018, which means that any taxpayer who died after that return was filed would have gotten a check.

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@hku wrote:

This is another example of a Government boondoggle.  If i filed jointly with a SSN, spouse with an ITIN, i get nothing;  but yet dead people get checks.  IRS knows who died by looking at SSA records, which it claims to have access to;  SSA has records which they are using to send the checks.  When my relative passed away, the SSA claimed back the check it sent in a matter of a few days.  So whats the problem?

The payments were made by the treasury fiscal services division which Unlike the IRS does not have access to SS death records. Reprogramming the payment data base to include the SS death records would have delayed start up of payments. It remain to be seen how many of the payments to deceased individuals were cashed. Payments made to a bank account of a deceased person which has been closed will be returned to the treasury.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ElLobo wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

Seems to me that most of the checks sent out went to those who filed their tax return for tax year 2018, which means that any taxpayer who died after that return was filed would have gotten a check.

Most payments are being made electronically which means if the deceased’s account has been closed the payment is returned to the treasury. If a joint $2400 payment is deposited to the same bank account which is in the name of the surviving spouse or remains in the names of both spouses how will the surviving spouse know of an overpayment?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

This was inevitable given the timeframe with which this was done.  I worked on legislation during my career in the state executive branch and after retirement as a legislative aid for a state legislator.  Normally, agencies have time to coordinate the details, do test runs and work out contingencies.  Its difficult enough for a state to coordinate what use to be called "death tapes" - that shows how old I am when these records were on tapes - between state agencies, for example, the tax dept., the health dept., the DMV, the employment commission, and then to make sure they are in sync with SS and DoD is not something that can be done in a few weeks.  Then to ensure that they are coordinated so prisoners don't get the benefits can't be done in a few weeks.   But the pressure was there and so it was done.   I'm not even sure there is one single data base which has all the folks convicted and serving time in both federal and state prisons.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Oops , and there still missing some live ones?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Yup.  My neighbor files by paper and always owes a few bucks.  He doesn't have a computer and the library is closed due to Covid.  The Treasury Dept. has declined to set up a phone center to field calls like his. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Rumples, I have a friend just like that.  I used the link on the IRS website to get him his check.  He had to give me his personal information but he got his money.  As I write this I can’t recall if he got a real check or automatic deposit.  I seem to recall the link said something about it was missing something.  I can’t recall in his case since I helped a few folks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Follower ○○

Oh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

I also got my girlfriend her check. She did not want to enter her SSN on her cellphone for security, but she was okay with me using my tablet. It also required her address. 

She must file her 1040 by hard copy and she must use a special PIN because her tax return in the past had been filed by an imposter, (identity theft) to steal her total withholding by refund before she filed.

Her check arrived in one week by mail.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@gilvkona wrote:

Rumples, I have a friend just like that.  I used the link on the IRS website to get him his check.  He had to give me his personal information but he got his money.  As I write this I can’t recall if he got a real check or automatic deposit.  I seem to recall the link said something about it was missing something.  I can’t recall in his case since I helped a few folks.

My neighbor doesn't want to give me that, which is fine.  He has asked our Congressperson for a form to fill out to let them inquire on his behalf with the IRS.  Fortunately, he doesn't really expect to get it, so if he does it will be nice.  But when things are rushed, these details are looked over.  

0 Kudos
Announcements