cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Senate Proposal for direct payments

In Illinois, restaurants and bars are closed, except for takeout. They are also doing delivery which helps the local economy. Buying a TV means 40% of the money goes to China and 40% to Japan and 10% to the executive board of Best Buy. Maybe 10% goes to those who are struggling. Maybe. I like ctyankees plan. Keeps most if not all the money domestic.

Highlighted
Participant ○○

@Intruder wrote:

@ctyankee wrote:

@Intruder wrote:

@Mortmain wrote:

This is a bizarre proposal. I am a supporter of welfare but this looks like a scatter-gun approach to sweetening a bitter pill. Commons sense says it would be more efficacious to ramp up existing means tested programs? I get the urgency of this, but not everyone needs this and are just going to go out and buy a new iPhone or whatever. Surely, the money could be better spent where it's really needed.

Just how long will it take to ramp up existing means tested programs and to train the examiners and approve the govt forms that would have to be approved under the administrative procedures act? The purpose of the law is to get cash into the hands of taxpayers as quickly as possible so it can be spent and circulate through the economy.

If I get a payment I will spend as soon as I get it to buy a new computer, take tax courses and buy a wide screen digital TV. Nothing wrong with buying a new iPhone because it also puts money into the economy.

@Intruder 

No.  That new computer, widescreen TV and iPhone do not put money into the economy effectively.  Sure, Costco or Verizon will be glad to get your money, but they're not going out of business, are they?

Meanwhile, there's a new restaurant in my town that features locally sourced produce.  The owner had to close for sit-down meals and is only doing take-out.  Rather than lay off his hostess, she is delivering orders.  Allowing take-out also allows him to keep on some of his kitchen staff.  So ... if I place a take-out order (and others do as well), maybe he doesn't go out of business.  Meanwhile, some of his employees are still employed and can pay their bills or buy things, thus keeping others afloat.  The restauranteur can also pay the small local farmers which might help keep them afloat and pay their employees.  That sort of economic stimulus will do far more than your widescreen TV will ever do.    

ctyankee

The purpose of the govt payments is to have consumers spend it immediately to get $ to businesses who can keep employees at work instead of laying them off. Buying cell phones and TVs will provide revenue to the entire supply chain. Small businesses will also receive funding under the proposed legislation.

As for using take out for the govt money many governments have closed all non essential businesses, e.g., NJ and NYC, which includes restaurants.

You don’t seem to be informed of how the wide spread quarantines are effecting the economy.

@Intruder 

ALL tri-state restaurants may stay open for take-out or delivery orders. A simple Google search would have told you that.    

So ... who is uninformed?

ctyankee     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@DrVenture wrote:

In Illinois, restaurants and bars are closed, except for takeout. They are also doing delivery which helps the local economy. Buying a TV means 40% of the money goes to China and 40% to Japan and 10% to the executive board of Best Buy. Maybe 10% goes to those who are struggling. Maybe. I like ctyankees plan. Keeps most if not all the money domestic.

Buying in US stores keeps the workers employed and provides the retailer with cash as well as the delivery company,  the truck drivers and dock workers who can remain employed. Last thing I need is more takeout because I am trying to lose weight. If you want to fill up on takeout instead of improving your home environment when you have to stay indoors go right ahead.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

If you saw my man cave you would understand that I don't need to improve it. I am directly in the middle of my weight range and exercise regularly, so no problem there. If the purpose is to save the domestic economy, spending on foreign made and assembled products is the most inefficient method I can think of. I guess all those folks saying "buy USA", never really meant it when the chips were down. But, I always knew that.

Meanwhile, soon I can crank up the Weber. Another fine product made in the USA!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Speaking of Illinois and Chicago downtown in particular, my son says that it is between life and death. It may be a death trap there in spite of a very big condo there. So, they are getting ready to come "home," and we are also getting ready cleaning the basement where the kids can play. Actually, we  have a full and furnished living room with a fire place and a full bath in the basement. There is no problem for us because we have all the bed rooms and a full bath free in the upper floor also since the kids left. They can have an office set up here.

In any case, they will be here temporarily until there is some clearance there in Chicago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

Speaking of Illinois and Chicago downtown in particular, my son says that it is between life and death. It may be a death trap there in spite of a very big condo there. So, they are getting ready to come "home," and we are also getting ready cleaning the basement where the kids can play. Actually, we  have a full and furnished living room with a fire place and a full bath in the basement. There is no problem for us because we have all the bed rooms and a full bath free in the upper floor also since the kids left. They can have an office set up here.

In any case, they will be here temporarily until there is some clearance there in Chicago.

That is an excellent plan. Best of luck!

My son is in DC and only leaving his apartment once a week when he need supplies. He was actually in self-quarantine for the last two weeks as he attended a conference and someone there was tested positive.  He was able to stock up last Thursday morning and has masks and other supplies just in case. I told him that if he feels it is necessary that I will drive there through the night and pick him up in the am. He can drive back. I'll bring a cooler with food and drinks and all we will need is to stop for gas and pay at the pump.

Same here as to having plenty of room. Spare bedrooms and bath and office.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Bipartisan talks falter on massive economic rescue package

Either the queen gets what she wants or no deal. GOP should have known this a long time ago. It is time for them to pack up and ready to leave town.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@ECEPROF wrote:

Either the queen gets what she wants or no deal. GOP should have known this a long time ago. It is time for them to pack up and ready to leave town.

An interesting read. I hope NP has seen it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@DrVenture wrote:

@ECEPROF wrote:

An interesting read. I hope NP has seen it.

Thank you for the link. IMO, the difference with the present situation is that Democrats are invested in making Government work for the American people while Republicans want to make it work for the American corporations. Just look at the slush fund of $500B for  to be managed by Munchin and Trump to benefit the companies they choose. 

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Interesting that Pelosi wants to add obamaphones into this bill when that is not needed. Show contempt for moving the stimulus along.

0 Kudos
Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.