cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

SEC Football Plan - Fall 2020

All non conference games cancelled. Teams will add 2 SEC teams to schedule for a 10 game conference schedule. Four instate non conference rivalry games cancelled - South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Kentucky. South Carolina and Clemson had played for 111 straight years. 

Capital
0 Kudos
42 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Re: SEC Football Plan - Fall 2020

There will be no college season anywhere. It will be interesting to see the effect it has on the country. Sports is a huge part of many peoples lives. I've had several South African friends tell me over the years that the sports boycott of athletics crazy SA did more to force the abolishment of the evil of apartheid than anything else. Sports is a YUUUUGE force and I wonder how the country will take the absence of it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@pudman wrote:

There will be no college season anywhere. It will be interesting to see the effect it has on the country. Sports is a huge part of many peoples lives. I've had several South African friends tell me over the years that the sports boycott of athletics crazy SA did more to force the abolishment of the evil of apartheid than anything else. Sports is a YUUUUGE force and I wonder how the country will take the absence of it. 

I agree with Pud. There will not be any game after one or two because players will get infected even during the practice games. Besides, even if one player dies, the game is over any where and every where in the country.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Capital 

Even Van Buren County requires face mask. It is a small town, called Spencer, 30 miles south of Cookeville on 111 up in the mountain. I understand that the number of infections went from 7 to 29 in a 3-week period. So, even mountain people are afraid of this now. If the players have to wear masks, how are they going to play football?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Man oh man, if this MLB fiasco is any indication of what lies ahead for the NBA/NFL/NHL, not to mention collegiate football,  I suggest we all get used to watching Greatest Games Ever re-runs for the next 2 years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@pudman wrote:

Man oh man, if this MLB fiasco is any indication of what lies ahead for the NBA/NFL/NHL, not to mention collegiate football,  I suggest we all get used to watching Greatest Games Ever re-runs for the next 2 years.

Yes, Pud. I read it in USA Today. The SEC players and the SEC officials sat down and talked yesterday. Since the players were not satisfied with the arrangements, and the officials could not guarantee anything about what would happen if players were infected, both short and long term, the players group just walked out. This was in USA Today yesterday - the whole conversation was leaked out by some one according to USA Today. Besides, the Pac Ten players are also pushing back. If you read USA Today Sports, you can find out what are going aound various leagues and conferences. The confeence and league officials are pushing for the sake of money. But, if there are no plyaers, no matter how much the officials push, how are they going to play - specifically Football because it is a contact sport?

There was also another news about money part. The SEC players want 50% of the revenue distributed equally to all the players in SEC. This was also leaked. Do you think that the schools want to part with the money? So, this will be another stubling block in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

PAC 12 same same. Threatening to boycott. The players are far, far, far from stoopid. Unlike the pros they aren't even getting paid to risk their health and lives. It mirrors what is happening in the economy and schools. No matter how fervent some people are about starting up again it is impossible if people don't feel safe enough to go out shopping/eating, sending their kids to school or, in this case, playing and for the spectators, attending, games. No control virus, no sports. No matter how you try to dodge it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

If the college kids aren't playing, will the colleges require them to attend classes? Get passing grades? Threaten them with pulling scholarships?

College sports have been ripe for this kind of disruption for many years. Way too much money being generated by the teams. Way too much money being paid to coaches. The label "Student Athlete" helps to soften the image of these kids taking a full course load while practicing. 

College football is supposed to be weeks away from starting. If they're at this impasse now, I can't see them playing this year. 

Now personally, I love watching SEC football, even though I'm on the West Coast. I could see who was NFL caliber. But this year, I stopped watching MLB, NBA, NHL and probably will decline the NFL. I do like to watch sports to relax. Not to have political propaganda shoved down my throat. So I'm going to find out what having Saturday afternoon, and Sundays for doing other things. 

GLTA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

You're right on the ball, PUD.

Especially the Pac-12 Students. They may not as an overall group have the overall caliber of football players as the SEC or Big-Ten, but they give nothing away in the smarts column. The Pac-12 has some of the elite schools of higher learning in this country; e.g. Stanford, SC, Wash., Cal., UCLA.

The student athletes are in there strongest bargaining position right now; they know they need to strike for the jugular NOW, w/the Universities reeling from the Plague. I'm really keen to see what the administrations response will be on the revenue sharing issue, it is where the schools are weakest  in a legal setting.

Signed, 

NoFriends1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Collegiate football and basketball have long struck me as being very exploitative of the "student"-athletes. Forcing them to risk their health, possibly their lives, for the colleges to make money during the pandemic would take it to new low.  

I think colleges should pay them at least $30K or $40K scholarship annually while they play on the team, and give them a tuition voucher to be used only during semesters when they can be full time students.  I hope the athletes win, though the NCAA and colleges have the big bucks and the lawyers, so I doubt it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

I tend to agree, I can’t envision how teams will play this year as much as I enjoy college sports.  

Since this is a money related forum, I am interested to hear former college employees like profs, coaches, or athletic directors opine on the financial impact of not having football and basketball.  I have heard football at major schools paid for other sports but perhaps it also paid for some things like faculty salaries?  It may be a benefit not to have sports for small schools as they will save on some salaries, travel, etc.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Phil56 wrote:

I tend to agree, I can’t envision how teams will play this year as much as I enjoy college sports.  

Since this is a money related forum, I am interested to hear former college employees like profs, coaches, or athletic directors opine on the financial impact of not having football and basketball.  I have heard football at major schools paid for other sports but perhaps it also paid for some things like faculty salaries?  It may be a benefit not to have sports for small schools as they will save on some salaries, travel, etc.  

I have been retired for more than 12 years. But, an analysis of sports money by Tenneesean a few years ago, showed that the students' fees support the football, basketball, and their schorlaships and salaries in my school - indeed most schools in Tennessee. That means, except for big universties where football makes some money, I am not sure if there is any money made by the schools. Smaller is the school, as a percentage of fees, more goes to the sports - indeed, there is a separate fee charged on the students because they get free admission. But, you know what? During the weekend, most kids go to their home and do not stay in the campus except on the week of homecoming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Generally speaking, SEC football pays for all other sports. Some exceptions, like KY basketball, but for the most part, football is king. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

'Horrified' Colorado State president vows to 'get to the bottom' of athletic department's COVID-19 h...

This could happen anywhere. If the Atheletic department hires the testing personal, they can easily hide the stuff. It will be the players who will be infected. They can say "indpendent people will test the atheletes." The coaches will easily manipulate these things because money is involved. Everybody is greedy and will not care about those players - generally from poor homes. Something bad is brewing now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○

I was looking forward more to College Football than the NFL as I prefer my sports without the side of politics that I get with all the pro sports these days. 

But college sports are going to have to figure a way through this. They get too much money from the skills and bodies of these athletes. And the athletes get no financial compensation (outside of a free education, which unfortunately, it seems that few actually take advantage of), to use. 

The 21st Century isn't turning out to be that great in many respects. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@astrokng wrote:

I was looking forward more to College Football than the NFL as I prefer my sports without the side of politics that I get with all the pro sports these days. 

Me too. I watch college games, specifically SEC games because I have been living in the area for forty years - almost.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○

Sally Jenkins’ column in the WaPo nails it; college coaches salaries have been far too high and among top sports schools there has been unending competition to build ever bigger athletic facilities.   Most athletes have not fared well under this system.  And, it’s worth noting that Jenkins consistently writes more hard hitting pieces than her colleagues and has taken quite a bit of pleasure in skewering the hapless owner of the Washington pro football team.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The Power 5 conference commissioners had an emergency meeting today. My guess is that we will soon be hearing that the 2020 season has been postponed. 

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Reality has set in:

Report: Power Five to cancel fall sports, football

"It looks like the day we’ve all been dreading is potentially here.

A day after the Mid-American Conference (MAC) announced it was postponing football and fall sports to the spring, according to a report from Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger and Pat Forde, it looks like the Power Five is set to follow suit. It appears that the Big Ten will be the first domino to fall in the Power Five (which is constituted by the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12 and PAC-12)".

0 Kudos
Announcements