cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Reflections of China

At China Conservatory with Professor Wong. Going over some of my work. We jammed for over an hour without speaking a word!At China Conservatory with Professor Wong. Going over some of my work. We jammed for over an hour without speaking a word!Test driving some traditional Chinese PercussionTest driving some traditional Chinese PercussionAs some may know I spent the last part of November and most of a December in Beijing for a visiting professorship. It  was a remarkable experience to tap into the rich culture and immerse myself in the community. Usually I do these programs for the US Dept of State but since they are preoccupied with, ahem, other issues, this was a direct invitation form the Beijing Language and Culture University. As a result I forwent my usual five star hotel accommodations for a very modest but pleasent apartment. I wouldn’t have traded that for anything. Everyday I bought groceries and other daily needs with my extremely poor Mandarin while the shop owners patiently waited for me to count the number of bananas I wanted. I also interacted with the community in which I lived, taught and learned.

I also ate parts of animals I didn’t know they even put in dog food, but also some amazing Peking duck and other Chinese delicacies.  

I visited the Summer Palace, Forbidden City and many other landmarks. I’ve attached a few photos. 

The students were, as I expected, extremely dedicated and hard working. What I didn’t expect was how open they were to new concepts. I was there to teach music improvisation, esoteric percussion and rhythm training. I had a chance to drop into the highest levels of Chinese music and percussion due to my teaching position and the Chinese musician I was collaborating and traveling with.

One image is staying with me. I was walking through an alley where a young Chinese boy (about  five years old) was running as fast as he could. He tripped and feel (hard). I was about to go and check on him expecting him to be crying. He got up shook himself off and his mom behind gave a sort of loving, warning chuckle loosely translated to, “next time you’ll watch where you are going”. That one episode was something of a synopsis of my experience with Chinese Students and their American counterparts. I’m not holding any China funds now but I think I might be looking.

I hope you may enjoy some of the pictures.

Wishing everyone a Happy Healthy New Year! RMThis tasted like something that rhymes with soup!This tasted like something that rhymes with soup!At Lama TempleAt Lama TempleMy guides went all outMy guides went all outEE26803B-44DE-4823-A880-1458D6D96C55.jpegRock Formation At Forbidden CityRock Formation At Forbidden CityEmperor’s PalaceEmperor’s Palace

14 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Reflections of China

Thanks for posting images. Reminds me of some sites we visited almost 15 years ago.

That was before the RE-led crash in the US. But from what I saw then there, I was "sure" that the RE crash would happen first in China [but I was wrong]. As we rode in the tour bus, we saw hours of NY-Manhattan like highrises with no people visible in any balconies.

Music is a language in itself - no translation required.

Shanghai stocks peaked in 2015 and are down a lot from that peak,   https://www.morningstar.com/indexes/xshg/000001/quote

YBB
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting, RM.

R48

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Great stuff, RM! The picture of eating the goop soup reminds me of a buddy who was taking a big ferry up some river there back in '82  or '3 He was on deck in the "dining area" eating a bowl of something when he noticed there was absolute quiet - on a boat of a few hundred folks. He looked up to see about 100+ people all silently staring at him eating with his chopsticks. Steven King unnerving he said. Do you ever get to Japan?

Highlighted
Participant ○○

Very nice, rm.  This reminds me of Alan Paul's "Expat Life" online column in the WSJ and his book "Big in China."  Very eye-opening and enjoyable reads, as well.

http://alanpaul.net/the-book/

Highlighted
Contributor ○

@rhythmmethod  Great post, thanks.  I've always been interested in other people and places.

@Bizman  I read the Paul book a while back, I love books like that.  There is an author, Mike Meyers I think his name is, that wrote a really good book called "In Marchuria", might want to check that out.  I hope I got the title and author right.  I remember that he had the same name as a fairly well known actor.

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Thanks, I'm glad some people enjoyed the posts. I meant to make the pictures of me smaller and last but my command of uploading pictures to this site, while better than my Mandarin, is still lacking. I'll look for a few more pictures of the scenery and upload. If anyone is interested in seeing video (we took a lot) you can find me on Facebook or if you are interested and don't know how to find me send me a direct message and I'll connect with you. The videos of the interaction with the students are really where the magic of the trip lays, IMO. I'll check out the referenced books, as well! Thanks!  Once again best wishes for the New Year ... and beyond! -RM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Glad you had a good time. I lived in Shanghai for a year in 2005-2006. Had many great experiences.

Nothing to say about those gorgeous Chinese girls?
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

@chang wrote:

Nothing to say about those gorgeous Chinese girlsOne of my most talented studentsOne of my most talented studentsChinese virtuoso zither playerChinese virtuoso zither playerTour guide/musician friendsTour guide/musician friendsMy ahhh...bossMy ahhh...bossFun lunchFun lunch

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Attaboy!
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Thank you, rhythmmethod.

At the Lama Temple, was it a specific holiday, or just the usual approach on visiting?

Highlighted
Participant ○○○

It was the usual approach. I went to another temple that was only opened twice a month and I was lucky to see the monks and trainees in devotion. It was very powerful!

@ViveBene wrote:

Thank you, rhythmmethod.

At the Lama Temple, was it a specific holiday, or just the usual approach on visiting?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

More pics, last ones, I promise. Take care, all... rmAB9DDA68-5CB4-4DFC-A6AD-158B1F8B23DF.jpegFADE5070-96B2-413B-A773-1B1BB9D967DA.jpeg951EA32A-A25C-4E43-AFCD-6527E89888F7.jpeg5C9B9E09-7870-4214-8808-D99252AC06BC.jpegB8BF7C88-61B2-4605-AFE2-111695E282B2.jpegB0AB6CBE-82C3-447F-A500-95178B1A6537.jpeg022A7333-EA44-42F0-A1CE-D6EF293B7050.jpeg57FFEAEA-CADC-4541-9B2E-945D916CF453.jpeg49D4CBB9-69E3-4D25-B76F-A269824A957F.jpeg8E593D83-BDB4-4C9B-8EE6-0A4499027BCB.jpegB5EE2741-1939-416E-B537-3F8AACB268BF.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Thanks for posting, RM! I worked with several people from China (mainland and Taiwan) in my university job and they were a lot of fun and shared their culture, often through food. One moved back to Beijing with her two (U.S. born) kids and husband who had just earned his PhD in an astronomy-related field to teach at a Chinese university.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○

Thank you and have a happy new year!

Announcements

Morningstar is here to help you respond to the Coronavirus crisis.