cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

Reasons to be hopeful during pandemic

Does anyone have any reasons to be hopeful during the pandemic that things will get better? Answers could include the economy, investing, medical  Etc. Thanks.

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Reasons to be hopeful during pandemic

@Warren1 wrote:

Does anyone have any reasons to be hopeful during the pandemic that things will get better? Answers could include the economy, investing, medical  Etc. Thanks.

I started investing mid stagflation 1968-1982. That was the most trying time economically so far for me. Complete ignorance was a good trait to have then. I suppose 1999- 2010 would be the second. That’s basically why you can throw out all the rules, allocations, financial gypsies, investing methods, books, what you “think” etc. What if this follows a pattern stretching back years and this is the beginning of a long bear market? The endless posts seeking the holy grail of marketing solutions will never be found or resolved. It’s always how the unknowns unfold and how they randomly effect you.

Maybe your young and/or inexperienced. If you think after 2mil years of evolution and 1000 years of organized governments the human population is going to perish from the earth because of a flu think again. Remote surgery sure beats leaching. 

One thing for sure is this will all go away some day because people can’t live on .25% MM interest, inflation will continue to eat away at their purchasing power as it has throughout history, the human population will continue to increase demanding more goods and services etc. I suspect all being ”connected” backfired here creating a panic, leading to social unrest and even more government distrust. I don’t see this beginning to resolve until a vaccine is developed and the anti-vaccine contingent is heard from. 

After this there will be something else....and on and on. But yeah things will continue to get better for all at an unknown evolutionary pace. Being lucky so far to not be afflicted with AADD I’am extremely hopeful about our future.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Warren1 wrote:

All previous pandemics, which were much worse than this one in terms of deaths, were allowed to run their course and society recovered and thrived.  Something about a law of natural selection, rather than artificial selection these days.  Artificial selection applies not only to our medicinal response to the virus outbreak but especially to the economic/financial response.

To be perfectly blunt, hundreds of thousands of individuals haven't, and won't, survive the virus, but billions will.  Their lives will be better as a result of what we, as a society, learned from the pandemic.  The ones that didn't survive rest in peace.

ElLobo, de la casa de la toro caca grande
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

No, previous pandemics were not allowed to run their course, rather they were met with what was the known medical information at the time.  The cholera pandemic which started in the 1830's was met by new science at the time.  It included in the US, better water supply systems in cities and ship quarantine.  When in Norfolk, the steamship the Benjamin Franklin's captain violated the yellow fever quarantine, 14% of the city of Norfolk's residents died; as a result the city built "fever houses" with forced quarantine since that is what they knew to do.  We did not let the polio epidemics in the last century run their course, they were met with forceful quarantine measures and a vaccine and far fewer died than are dying now.  When they were ignored, like it was in Wytheville VA in 1950 until it was too late, in a city of 5,500 people, there were over 200 cases of polio and that strand was not only crippling but it was especially deadly.   We do not let the current ongoing AIDS epidemic run its course, its being met with education, prevention and medication.  The pellagra epidemic in the 20th century killed 140,000 and was only eliminated when the cause was found and it was addressed.  Yellow fever and malaria epidemics are not allowed to run their course, rather they are met with mitigation and drugs...there are countless examples. 

We are still in the start of this pandemic.  Rather than going away, its getting worse. There is now community wide spread and its anyone guess what happens when schools open.  

During the black death, the disease was allowed to run its course.  While some may like us to revert to health science of the middle ages, I wonder if we really want the mortality rate they experienced. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The pandemic will ease when selfish and ignorant people begin to listen to their public health officials.  Communicable disease is not that complicated once the mode of transmission is known.  Break that chain of transmission and the disease will fade.  Once we have both a vaccine and a good treatment, it will go the way of polio, yellow fever, and other major diseases.

People with the "let it run its course" attitude are a huge part of the problem.  Here in Florida, we have seen a 500% rise in cases since the pressure to reopen the economy and beaches a month ago.

Ultimately, the economy will be hurt far worse by opening too soon and then having many of the workers get sick, with many dying.  This is what is happening now. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk @rumples 

Yup, Chicken Little and Henny Penny still believe the sky is falling and still don't understand the difference between Darwin's law of Natural Selection compared to the law of artificial selection!  8-))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

Part of the law of natural selection involves the use of our brain; we are to use it.  Should we go and forget smallpox vaccines, polio vaccines; maybe some want diphtheria and typhus, but I'll take a vaccine over natural selection.  Should we ignore preventative health care.  Should a baby be allowed to die from a preventable disease?  So far, the predictions about how bad this is going to get have been wrong...they have been underestimated.  

Natural selection can be brutal.  The mortality rate in colonial America before the advent of disease control  was horrendous. In Middlesex County VA in the 17th century the average lifespan for a male was 48, for a women it was 39. (Child mortality was 50% for males, 56% for girls*).   But they figured out how to handle the water, sanitation from wells, and so forth.  That was modern at the time.  Perhaps some might want to go back to natural selection, but I prefer drinking what they called "sweet" - what we call clean - water. 

*Source: Digital History of the United States; Journals of the Virginia House of Burgess:

https://archive.org/details/journalsofhousb1619virg/page/n9/mode/2up

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@rumples 

Nice pickup.  I see you now believe in the law of natural selection!  8-))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'm sure that the "natural selection" crowd takes antibiotics whenever they prescribed by their doctors. Otherwise, their small number would make containing the coronavirus spread much easier. 

It continues to amaze me this flight from reason 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk @rumples 

Yup, Chicken Little and Henny Penny still believe the sky is falling and still don't understand the difference between Darwin's law of Natural Selection compared to the law of artificial selection!  8-))

I understand that YOU don't understand it.  It has nothing to do with a 5-month-old pandemic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk @rumples 

I understand that YOU don't understand it.  It has nothing to do with a 5-month-old pandemic.

The prime example of 'artificial selection' during the current pandemic is whenever a nursing home, whose usual population is more prone to being adversly affected by the virus, is forced to take in those who had the virus!  8-))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○

Reason for investors to be hopeful if expensive remdesivir is chosen versus cheap HCQ

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@johnjtaylor wrote:

Reason for investors to be hopeful if expensive remdesivir is chosen versus cheap HCQ

One works, the other one doesn't.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Can you even show me a reference to "artificial selection" even applying to humans?  Artificial selection deals with the breading of animals and plants to obtains desired traits, as opposed to natural selection which leads to optimal "fitness".  

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk wrote:

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk @rumples 

The prime example of 'artificial selection' during the current pandemic is whenever a nursing home, whose usual population is more prone to being adversly affected by the virus, is forced to take in those who had the virus!  8-))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○○○

@bilperk wrote:

Can you even show me a reference to "artificial selection" even applying to humans?  Artificial selection deals with the breading of animals and plants to obtains desired traits, as opposed to natural selection which leads to optimal "fitness".  

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk wrote:

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk @rumples 

I think he means scientists making artificial selection versus God making natural selection. I have never understood how a scientist could also be deeply religious.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○○○

To me it's like doing Keynesian economics only using deficit sending and never taking away the punchbowl.

This pandemic is over in any community that achieves 70% herd immunity. It's simple. Protect the high risk. Expose the low risk.

Not exposing the low risk people prolongs the pain for EVERYBODY. Except the elites. That never changes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Warren1 wrote:

Times like this forces us to seek alternatives,  which are otherwise overlooked and ignored. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@bilperk wrote:

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk wrote:

@ElLobo wrote:

@bilperk @rumples 

Um, the difference between 'natural' selection and 'artificial' selection is whether or not humans AFFECT things!  The prime example of 'artificial selection' is eugenics, where less 'desirables' are weeded out, so to speak!  Do you need any examples, Bill?  8-))

From "Difference Between Natural Selection and Artificial Selection"

"Evolution may evolve through many mechanisms like mutation, migration, genetic drift but natural selection is the most famous and the most strongly accepted one. While Artificial selection involves unnatural selection or selective breeding, with the interference of humans activity."

Think beyond breeding to pandemic related deaths, the subject of this thread, Bill!  8-))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Reasons to be hopeful during pandemic

1) Our investments are doing great YTD

2) The ones who work have been doing in from home and will continue doing it for months to come.  So far everybody kept their jobs

3) Health: we are all OK so far. If we go shopping we have masks on and we try to do it all in one day a week. We don't go to restaurants, just take out.  We continue to do all sports, especially walking and hiking and not going to the gym.  During the last several months we saw several MDs for mostly routine checks.  It's so much faster now, you stay in the car until your appointment and they call you a few minutes before.

4) This pandemic is here to stay for months to come.  I had my annual check-up and my MD predicted that in the best-case scenario, we will find a vaccine in several months but only by the end of 2021 it will be safe because it takes time to go thru all the stages + immunize the population. If we want to fly abroad I must verify it with other countries.

Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Yes, this too shall pass, and U.S./world will go through some (already ongoing) transformation on the positive side. 

Life goes on. 

Announcements