cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
     
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Off-Topic is not a free-for-all

Well I don't discuss politics with anyone except my wife. It seems that we are the only two people we know who understands our situation well enough not to call the other an idiot. We even seem to vote for the same person all the time. It's really very boring for us to discuss politics. I let her go first; and, she has the same idea that I have - I guarantee it. If your want to fight with your significant other about who takes a seat in some overly built public building go for it. Just don't come knocking on my door messing with my good thing when your good thing has just come to a screeching halt.

Moral of my story - there are so many more things in life that are so much more important that politics.

@RyanM  please don't mad at me for posting the "P" word three whole times ::))

 

Capital
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Off-Topic is not a free-for-all

Capital,

We have a similar good thing. 🙏

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer ○

Re: Off-Topic is not a free-for-all

Sometimes I miss the old Politics forum at M*

early 2000's was a fun time. raunchy at times, but there were good times also. JPB, Sensei, Drymartini, Queen Hetty, Cu, Brewmaster and the others made it bearable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Off-Topic is not a free-for-all

@twinlabs  I miss “ariasmom”. She was one tough lady.

Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Off-Topic is not a free-for-all

I don't envy any moderator that has to make the tough call as to what violates a "no politics" rule.  Maybe it's a "you know it when you see it" sort of thing.  I think you're destined to make at least half the people unhappy all the time when you enforce that rule--which means you're probably doing it right.

On the other hand, I think you can easily see the difference between "partisan politics" and issues of "public policy" that affects markets.  The former is political, the latter not.  I mean, if we're debating the next round of stimulus measures out of Congress (if any) and its effect on unemployment, the airline industry, health care, etc.--that seems fair game to debate rationally about the pros/cons without devolving into a partisan issue.  But maybe that's just too tall an order...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant ○

Re: Off-Topic is not a free-for-all

Being an independant centrist, politics goes like this. If I am leaning to the left on an issue, 40% of the people love me, and 40% hate me.  If on the right, that 40% love me, and 40% hate me. The 20% in the middle don't care. If I take e middle of the road stance, 80% of the people think that with their 'Truths" they can convice me that I should follow their line of thought.  If not, all 80% dislike me for not listening to the "truth". The other 20%... "Ho Hum".  Until--two weeks before an election, they all will work "accross the isle"; take a more centrist-less extreme position to get my vote. After the election, regardless of who wins, back to polorized partisan politics. So, being in the miidle, 80% of the people disagree with me. Both parties know that it is that 20% in the middle that elects a president, Maybe not Senators etc.,  We feel that we are being manipulated, lied to so why vote? Many of us do for "the lessor if the two evils". What a way to run a country.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor ○○○

Re: Off-Topic is not a free-for-all

So you have truly not made your mind up whom to vote for President? Interesting post.


@NuEnglander wrote:

Being an independant centrist, politics goes like this. If I am leaning to the left on an issue, 40% of the people love me, and 40% hate me.  If on the right, that 40% love me, and 40% hate me. The 20% in the middle don't care. If I take e middle of the road stance, 80% of the people think that with their 'Truths" they can convice me that I should follow their line of thought.  If not, all 80% dislike me for not listening to the "truth". The other 20%... "Ho Hum".  Until--two weeks before an election, they all will work "accross the isle"; take a more centrist-less extreme position to get my vote. After the election, regardless of who wins, back to polorized partisan politics. So, being in the miidle, 80% of the people disagree with me. Both parties know that it is that 20% in the middle that elects a president, Maybe not Senators etc.,  We feel that we are being manipulated, lied to so why vote? Many of us do for "the lessor if the two evils". What a way to run a country.


 

0 Kudos
Announcements